Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which is the best tourguide/company to use for Pompeii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:54 AM
CRP

Hi- we will be in Italy in Oct.<BR>We would like to make arrangements, in advance, for a small group tour of Pompeii.<BR>Does anyone have any suggestions for a,particular, tour/guide/company?<BR><BR>And about how much does it cost?<BR><BR>Thank you

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Maryann

I'm interested in the same type tour.<BR>Hope someone helps us out.<BR>

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:55 PM
josef

I will be visiting in Pompeii in Sept. THen on to the Amalfi coast. I too would like a suggestion on a tour company for Pompeii ruins.

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Kittrdg

Hi - I went to Pompeii with a friend three years ago - each of us bought a a fairly detailed guidebook and we did it oursleves. All it cost was the price of the entrance fee and we could wander at will. I founf one guide book at Barnes & Noble and my friend ordered hers from Amazon. I liked the freedom of not being tied to a group's agenda. That may not work for your group though since it sounds like to may be fairly large.

Old May 5th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Julie

I was in Pompeii last July and did the guided tour thing. You don't make any reservations in advance, so just show up - there will be MANY guides there who want your business. They wait until there are about 10-15 people assembled and then they take you on the tour. The cost was about 10 bucks a person, plus most people gave the guide a tip. (If i remember correctly it lasted about 1 1/2 hours)I spent the remainder of my time exploring on my own. <BR>The tour was great - the guide was hilarious and knew Pompeii inside and out.<BR>I went early in the morning, shortly after it opened and was grateful that I did because by 1am the place was packed.<BR><BR>Hope this has helped!

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:01 PM
CRP

Thanks for everyone's help.<BR><BR>CRP

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Sturion

I am in Sorrento and just took the Pompeii tour the other day. Train from Sorrento to Pompeii about 1.00 The site is nearly at the trainstop...you just walk about 100 yards. There are many tour guides available. As stated by one of the other readers, they do wait till they hve a group of 10. The cost was 10 euros. We had a guide that has a PhD in Archeology. He was extremely informative as well as wanted us to ask a lot of questions. I came away from the site as feeling Pompeii will be one of the most outstanding features of my trip.<BR>