Question about a trip to Pompeii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to take a day trip from Rome to Pompeii. Our question is...how do we tour Pompeii without a tour guide? Suggestions please.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I wouldnt do it.
My husband and I thought we'd be thrifty and not get a tour guide. We used a combination of reading tour books and the audio tour.Big mistake. We went in june, it was hot and extremely crowded - it ended up just being annoying and frustrating. We spent our entire time at Pompeii trying to discreetly listen in on other peoples tours. Maybe you are going at a different time of year. But I would definetly recommend a tour guide-especially since they arent that expensive. Go on a short tour and then wander around for a few hours after, if you still want to see more.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

We will be there in March.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM

There are certified guides at the entrance to the site. You can either hire one just for the two of you, or join one of the groups that the guides gather together.

Or you can use this guide:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...080163,00.html

It's from the London Times and includes a map.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM

isis, Using the audio guide and the small book that goes with it you can tour Pompeii on your own. There are recommendations on how to tour Pompeii in two, four and six hours. We also had the Rick Steves Rome book which includes a day trip to Pompeii

My husband and I did that in November, spending over 7 hours there and only leaving when the site closed for the day I was surprised how crowded Pompeii was in November. Going about on our own allowed us to avoid the crowds which were clustered around their guides at the beginning at the Porta Marina and the Forum area.

Now if you can find a flexible guide who will move you around to the less crowded areas first and then come back to buildings when there are less people around; that would be ideal.

I am sure we missed a site or two touring on our own but we were much happier not being part of the throng.

If you research Pompeii before getting there to note what you want to see, use the audio guide to explore on your own, and be prepared to be overwhelmed by the vastness of the Pompeii ruins, you'll be fine.

All that being said, if you only intend to spend an hour or two there you probably need a guide just to get you around as quickly as possible. Even Rick Steves recommends spending at least 3 hours at Pompeii

We were pleased to have the luxury of a full day to devote to Pompeii. I hope you have an enjoyable visit there also. Deborah
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I have been to Pompeii several times and I feel that if you have their tour book(you buy) and headphones (you rent at the entrance) its pretty easy.There is also a book with an "ancient overlay" that is quite good to see how it has changed. That way you can go at your own pace.If you can find a cheap guide and feel that that is the way to go -then do it. I have just had some bad luck with some guides I have used in the past at Ephesus,Normandy,etc.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the helpful information!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM

You might find some of the information on this thread helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34743620
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Hi Isis,

I spent 2 1/2 hours on my first visit and it wasn't nearly enough for me. March, not crowded but there were people there. Nice temps.

Second visit I spent 4 1/2 hours. Sept, much busier, warmer, glad I wore a hat and carried water. I used the audioguide and their little map and thought it was very good.

When you pay your entrance fee, be sure to ask for the free ticket to the Suburban Baths (new excavation right at the entrance). Very impressive!

Buon viaggio!