Which Hotels arre good in Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling in early may 07 to Prague and i am trying to find a decent hotel that is not overly priced but near Charles Bridge Castle, Nicoulas church etc. are there any decently priced hotels in that area? Should I even stay in that area or does it matter? and if anyone who has traveled here is thsi area a good place to stay?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Near is a relative term, but we walked to all the places you mentioned from our hotel, the Bellagio in the old Jewish Quarter, with no problem.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM

What is your "decent" price ?

Mala Strana beneath Hradcany (castle area) is the area you are talking about. That is currently my favorite area to stay (stayed in Nov. and last week and be there again in Easter). I stay rather under Petrin hill and not right under the castle so prices are relatively lower. If you have not done so, take a look at the following threads.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34925717

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34906885

p.s. There are two St.Mikulase (St Nicolas)church in Prague center. One in Mala Starana beneath the Castle and another at the old town square.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

To be Honest i didn't want to spend no more then $150 (US) a night. is that Possible? and when i mean near i mean like within a mile of walking distance to alot of the most popular attractions. and my main thing is transportation to the airport from prague. i must admit i get a little nervious with that.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

You'll find something for $150 in the center, you just have to do your research. Search this forum -- kappa gave you some links, and then go to TripAdvisor for reviews. After you've narrowed your choices down, come back and have people give opinions. Also check www.praguewalks.com and www.livingprague.com. It's easy to find many many links.

Good luck with your research -- you will be rewarded with just the trip you want.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I booked through Athos travel: http://www.athos.cz/

They found me a triple for around $100. It wasn't near the castle, but near other tourist places within walking distance. Hotel City Inn. Bring your earplugs. Otherwise it was very comfortable.

Be aware that hotels in Prague will keep your passport during your stay. Don't be alarmed.

Catching a taxi from your hotel to the airport should be easy and inexpensive. When we were there in August it was around $35.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM

The area you named isn't necessarily Mala Strana as it could easily be the Old Town area on the other side of the bridge, also. I prefer that location myself. Sure, it's a good place to stay in general, as long as you are not confining yourself to a couple blocks. I wouldn't want to stay right near the bridge myself, as it is so full of tourists and noisy.

There is nothing to be that nervous about getting from the airport, there are fixed-fee group shuttle vans right at the airport you can use and you don't need to reserve in advance. I've done that, as well as a regular private airport car (which is similar to a taxi, only it wasn't called a taxi but "airport cars" or something on the outside of it--it was right near the group vans).

The hotels I've stayed at are more than that, and many are nowadays (as that is 100 euro or less with the current exchange rate), but there are some.

No hotel in Prague has ever kept my passport, that's not true.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM

The Hotel Kampa Garden is on Kampa Island that is right under the Charles Bridge, easily fits your price range and is a very nice place. See Trip Advisor for reviews and more detail. Kampa Island is a wonderful location when visiting Prague.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM

We stayed at Kampa Garden for five days after New Year's this year. The location was great, breakfast was fine, free internet in the lobby and an all non-smoking hotel. We would highly recommend Kampa Garden.

We used their recommendation for airport and train station pick-up services. It was great.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Try CzechbyClick for Hotel Mejstrik, we liked it there a lot. Email the hotel and see if they'll match the discount rate you found elsewhere so you don't have the "no cancellation penalty" from CzechByclick.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM

A couple of years ago a group of 4 of us stayed at this place, HOTEL U SVATEHO JANA
Here's a link to it so you can have a look. I didn't book it through this hotels-prague.
http://www.hotels-prague.us/usvjana/
Everyone was very happy with the hotel. It was quiet and simple with a decent breakfast included with the room. There is a metro station nearby but it wasn't far from the bridge a bit of a walk but if your in good shape it's not a problem.
I see it's gotten good reviews at TripAdvisor and I'm not surprised.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM

We have stayed on both sides of the river, and all 4 of us prefer Mala Strana - it's just so much fun to walk over the Charles Bridge. When we stayed in the Old Town, we would just walk onto the bridge everyday whether or not we needed to actually go across to the other side.

Our Prague hotels did not keep our passports, but we did have to show them, and put our passport numbers on our guest registration form.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 02:25 AM

We also stayed in Mala Strana at the U Zlute Boty and were very happy.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:34 AM

I usually stay at the Betlem Club Hotel, which is in a super location. You can walk a couple hundred meters to the Charles Bridge in one direction, a couple hundred meters to the Old Town Square in another, and about 300 meters to Wenceslas Square in another. The Metro station Narodni Trida with trams is about 150 meters away. So, you are right in the middle of everything.

Also, the price is very reasonable for Prague. See their web site: http://www.betlemclub.cz/.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I was in Prague a few years ago and wished I had stayed in the Betlem Club. I stayed in a hotel near the Powder Gate and it was on a dark, gloomy street. I was walking one day and saw the Betlem Club, which is on a sunny square not far from the Charles Bridge. I went in and looked around and it was very cosy and pleasant -- and reasonably priced.

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Last time when I was in Prague I stayed in Hotel Expres which is a nice hotel in Old Town for affordable price. I booked through www.prague-rooms.com