Which hotel?

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which hotel?

I'll be in Paris in a couple of weeks, and I currently have reservations at Hotel Varenne and Jardin De l'odeon. Hotel Varenne is ranked a lot higher than Jardin De l'odeon on Trip advisor.

If you had to pick b/t the two, which one would you choose? I got both rooms at 125 euros a night. Jardin De l'odeon includes breakfast in their rate. My husband and I are both fairly young so we don't mind walking even though both hotels are centrally located.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

thx
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:28 AM

Hi

I think you should repost your question like "Paris hotels: Hotel Varenne or Jardin De l'odeon". The Jardin De l'odeon is better located for sightseeing. And it includes breakfast - a saving of €7-€10 each. Also I note alot of posters like the 6th District. We stayed in the 7th near Ecole Militare. We found it is "quieter" and had to take the metro a few times. I will try the 6th next time.

Bye.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:46 AM

If you want to be in a lively district stay at the Jardin de l' Odeon which is in the center of the 6th, St. Germain.

The Varenne is in a much more quiet district, the 7th, which is residential and where quite a few embassies are located.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:56 AM

My husband and I stayed at Jardin De l'Odeon although it was clean, the rooms were much smaller than pictured on the internet and there was no balcony as pictured. (I know that rooms in Europe are generally small, but this was the smallest we ever stayed in.) Plus, make sure you check because breakfast was extra and it wasn't worth it. There are so many cafes on the street that we did that instead and enjoyed it much more. I would stay on St. Germaine next time.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:22 AM

If you choose to stay in the 6th whether or not it's at the Jardin de l' Odeon, the Relais Odeon (corner of Blvd. St. Germain/rue de l'Ancienne Comedie) has a very reasonable and good breakfast. It's 8.70 euro for a coffee (capuccino), fresh orange juice, buttered baguette, egg (like 3 at least) any style you choose, toasted bread, and jam.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Based on the trip advisor reviews, it sounds like the room is the size of a closet. I've also read that the sheets/towels are really scratchy.

Hotel Varenne sounds really nice, but may be a little too residential for us.

Should I be worried about staying at Jardin De l'odeon since it's close to the Sorbonne?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM

The Jardin de l' Odeon is on rue Casimir Delavigne. It's closeby the Sorbonne but not some blocks away; it's closer to Blvd. St. Germain. I guess you're worried about the demonstrations? It's not a problem at all staying in this location. Maybe you can check around if there are other hotels you like in the same vicinity, otherwise, stick with the Varenne if the reviews seem more favorable to you.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM

we stayed at the sully st. germain, and the rooms were small, but not miniscule as i had imagined.
newly renovated.
very nice place.
90 euros, no breakfast, when we went.