What is Spain Like?

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Spain Like?

Simplistic question, I know, but...

We're planning a Europe trip for this fall, probably end of Sept/beginning of Oct, probably around 10 days. Spain, which we have never visited, has made the short list.
So I've started reading posts and raided the library shelves of all books about Spain.

But I need help getting a feel for the country. From what I've seen so far, we'd probably visit Madrid (where we'd fly into), and Andalucia - the Alhambra is near the top of the list, Seville and Granada, etc.

So what is it like? We've visited France and Italy quite a bit, and lots of places in the U.S., so comparisons would help. For example, is Andalucia similar to Provence topographically and climate-wise? Is Madrid a great walking-around city like Paris? Are the white villages as entrancing as Tuscan hilltowns? I know a lot of this is subjective, but I'm trying to get an image of what our trip would be like.

And the food, I know the kinds of things the guidebooks list, and I've had tapas, but as adventurous foodies, are we likely to enjoy eating in Spain (in other words, is Spanish food more like French or Italian, or more like Swiss food in terms of desirability)?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I am trying to remember what I first thought of Spain (as a 17 year old who had never left the US). . .

It smelled different to me. . . it had flowers, meats and fish, but I had never seen or smelled the varieties presented to me. Sometimes things would look like home to me, but the preparation would leave them tasting completely different.

I discovered walking while I was there, and though I dislike Madrid, I think it is a great place to go and let your feet hurt. I especially love walking from atocha up to the end of Castellana, then to the Puerta del Sol, Chueca, then to the plaza mayor. That is a full day, and leaves you so tired you won't enjoy the nightlife, which is fantastic in Madrid.

I have always said that I will try anything once and Spain tested that idea quite a few times, leading me to eat blood sausage (morcilla. . . my mouth is watering), sauteed blood with onions, entire fish (head and all. . . they were small), live sea urchins, cured ham, snails (I had had escargot, but those babies were collected, cleaned and killed by yours truly), suckling pig (deliriously delicious). . the list goes on. Also, I tried recipes and combinations that had hitherto not existed in my diet (gazpacho, for example, and seafood paella).

For comparisons. . . I see you are looking for Europe and really, I compare all of Andalucia with Morocco (it is amazing how many similarities there are). To me, Paris felt unfelt and there is something so genuine and dignified about Madrid. . . like an old, proud man walking hand in hand with his old, wobbly wife (which you see quite a bit of in Spain). . . they have been through a lot and it shows.

The white villages are, visually speaking, a very interesting experience, like seeing a live lotus flower in a swamp. The landscape makes me want to get very rural, and I always enjoy visiting the villages. They are places that make me want to stay a while. I find them comparable in essence to Norwegian fjord villages.

You are going at a beautiful time. Fall is my favorite season, and I find it a very special time in Spain. More authentic, for some reason. . .
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM

In very general terms Spain is markedly different than the rest of Latin Europe. It has very good and reasonably-priced red wine. In my limited experience, which was one visit of 16 days duration in June 2005, I found the food to be simply prepared, straightforward, and delicious. Friendly people, relatively clean cities. I spent most of my time in the areas that you mention ..Madrid, Seville, Costa de la Luz, Granada. I found the landscape of Andalucia a bit arid and rocky for my tastes ... I prefer the rich green and rolling hills of Burgundy or Tuscany. All considered, I would love to go back, especially if the opportunity arose to tour the northern half, which I did not get to see at all.

laclaire - Very picturesque descriptions ... though for someone who dislikes Madrid, you have some very complimentary things to say about the city.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Laclaire, what a gorgeous description. Beautifully put.

Lexma, I highly recommend spending several nights in Sevilla. I found most cities throughout Europe to be very walkable, but that was probably because I like walking to get the "feel" of a city. Walking is the only way to discover hidden alleys and witness daily life, in my opinion...

Madrid is definitely more cosmopolitan, a broader, grander city. It's difficult to compare it to any Italian city that I've been to...

Andalucia ranges from dry, flat plains to rolling green hills to dramatic moutains. Sevilla is along the Guadalquivir River, so is situated in the lower, flat plains area. But if you head towards the "white towns" of Andalucia, Ronda, or Granada, you'll definitely hit the mountains, which are gorgeous.

Climate of Andalucia is very mild, similar to that of Rome, I would venture to say.

The "white towns" are kind of similar to Tuscan hilltowns. They're ancient, more rural, quiet, relaxed. You definitely feel as though you're stepping back in time. And very picturesque.

As for the food, it's difficult to compare the cuisine to another country's, but it's probably closest to Italy's. The easiest tapas to enjoy are cheese (in Sevilla, usually manchego, similar to pecorino) and jamon serrano (cured ham, similar to prosciutto). And of course olives. You can get a little adventurous with tapas... As for finer dining, throughout Andalucia, you'll find some interesting meat. They're bigger on wild game outside the cities, with quail, rabbit, and venison. Various forms of bull (including the tail) find their way to menus, too. Fish and shellfish are very common. The food is absolutely delicious, and if you enjoy eating, you'll have a blast in Spain!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM

larry_M- I think that if I only knew madrid and nowhere else in Spain, i would absolutely love it, but my dedication to Barcelona constantly keeps me away from the capital. I do have fond memories of the city, though.

Oh, and you are right on about the cheap and good wine. Find a 91 rioja (legendary harvest0 and go to town. I had a 91 murua and lost myself to it.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Spain is very little like Italy. The southern part is much hotter and parts are semi-desert. Madrid is on a high plateau and can have temperature extremes in both summer and winter. The white towms are cute - but nothing like Tuscany.

Overall I would describe Italy as a "softer" country and Spain as a stronger and "harsher" country geographically.

Food in Spain is fine - but not like Italy - where the only place I;ve been able to find a bad meal is Venice. Olives are everywhere in every form (at one point I was convinced if you sat down on a park bench someone would come along and put a dish of olives next to you). No pasta, lots of pork, lamb, ham and seafood.

I don;t care for Madrid at all - it reminds me of Chicago more than anything else - lots of 1920's skyscrapers, hot, loud and dirty. (But doesn't have the soul of NYC.) (I don;t dislike Chicago - but why should a modern US city be transplanted to europe?)

Andalucia is wonderful - but you must take the time to enjoy it and fall into the daily pattern of the residents - otherwise you'll always be trying to be going to places that are closed for lunch and eat dinner before the restaurants open. To me this is really the unique part of Spain due to the strong arab influences.

We came to Seville via Merida which we loved - great Roman ruins. And the northern coast around San Sebastian is also charming.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wonderful descriptions so far; they help a lot. We've made enough trips to France and Italy (plus other countries) that they feel comfortable. So stepping west to Spain is a new adventure.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM

I love all of Spain! I like Madrid because it doesn't give a darn whether I'm there or not--just goes about its business. The Prado is a wonderful museum, as are the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia. The royal palace is worth seeing, though I've seen grander, and Retiro park on a Sunday afternoon is great fun. I guess I just like the ambiance of Madrid. I have caught myself (an American of Danish and Irish background) feeling very at home there, for some reason.

Barcelona is fabulous (but watch your purse)! The architecture is simply wonderful--la Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, Casa Mila, the Palau de Musica...I could go on and on.

I also love Seville, with its Alcazar and the gardens adjacent, the streets lined with orange trees, the gorgeous moorish-influenced architecture. I could (and did!)wander those streets for hours.

The Alhambra in Granada is a once-in-a-lifetime sight. It is almost indescribable--at least by me. I recommend reading Washington Irving's "Tales of the Alhambra" while you're in Granada so that you have something of a sense of what it must have been like to live there through the centuries from the time of the Moors to the reconquest.

I found the geology, especially in the south, around Ronda, to be fascinating (sort of like God had a lot of fun shoving all those rocks around). We kept wishing we had a geology book so that we could learn how that rugged terrain was formed. The geology was equally impressive around Cuenca. But then I don't suppose everyone is as enthralled by large rocks as we are.

Segovia, Avila, Caceres...they all have something to offer. And there are so many places in Spain that I haven't seen...

So many places...so little time...
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Spain is diverse by regions. I have spent 4 2-week trips to Spain and still have not seen the NW green area.
Andalusia is the best and worth 10 days on its own. I would start there.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM

laclaire, you make me want to go to Spain and become an old wife walking with my old man
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Id say spain is cleaner than Italy, more refined (mannerly)than southern Italy,drier than Italy,not as "smokey" as France, Madrid is not as "charming" as Paris...I like Spain but the flavor is different than either of the others...Spanish food is all about the hamon.sorry but it's good but not in the same league as France and Italy.I like the others better.It's not nearly as stessful as the other countries.It's comparable to Germany...fantastic but more tame IMO
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Scarlett- that is exactly what I was hoping someone would say.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM

So many wonderful descriptions. All valuable. I have been many times in Spain , nevertheless after reading some of them I also felt like rushing to Spain... I also love the Spanish
dignity that I have encounter through the years in many Spaniards of all walks of life .
Their dignity, and pride and honesty has touched me many times. I really love Spain,
there are so many different regions to visit, among my favorites towns are Salamanca, Baeza...Trujillo ,
Caceres and Sevilla....and The Prado. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:24 PM

I've fallen so in love with Spain, but am also in love with Italy and France. To me they all share similarities in their joie de vie, and their life styles as well as the ambudance of incredible art, architecture, and culture. Laclaire, I loved your description, and am impressed with your bravery in your willingness to try some of the foods that I'm not brave enough to try. Overall, I prefer the food in Italy and France, but have had some excellent meals in Spain as well, but am more limited because I'm not as brave as Laclaire and don't eat much meat.

The scenery in Andalucia reminds me of Southern California, but then you have the white villages where I felt like I was back in another century and time stood still.

I like Madrid, especially for the Prado and Sofia, but to me it's very masculine compared to the sensuous, feminine Paris. And I loved Segovia and Toledo and Salamanca and Avila--all easy daytrips (or stay in the Paradors--another unique plus of Spain www.parador.es).

And yes, Seville is pure magic--I can still smell the orange blossoms...

Well, I think you get the idea. If you haven't been yet, you have a treat in store for you. And lots of people to offer advise as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Oh yes, and the red wine! Very inexpensive and we never have had a bad bottle there--so in this way I'd say it certainly compares to France and Italy as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the descriptions - it's given me a great feel for what it will (would be?) like to visit Spain (in addition to all those library books and other websites). Now all we have to do is decide; it's down to a visit primarily to Rome (which we love more each time we visit), or to Spain.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM

I love southern Spain, in particular Andalucia, where you have the beautiful ,Cadiz,Seville,Rhonda, Nerja,Mijas. In particular i love Nerja, we have been going there for family holidays for many years, its still unspoilt with little white villages and beautiful mountains. I love Frigliana its so quaint and peaceful.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM

We spent two weeks in Spain about ten years ago. We drove the coast from Barcelona to Lisbon. The two unforgettable things for me were the Picasso museum in Barcelona and Rhonda. Both are not-to-be missed!! I'm not an artsy person but the Picasso was incredible - his very early art, not the stuff he's most known for - and it was genius! Rhonda is special too - way up in the atmosphere and unique!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Just a note--the recently opened Picasso Museum in Malaga is better than the one in Barcelona (IMO) and is a must for all Picasso lovers (count me in).
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Also loved the reference to the old couple but especially the comment "they have been through a lot and it shows." Right on target!

My parents had a life-long love affair with Spain and so it was the European country we, as a family, visited the most. As a teenager, I remember being impressed with:

-the castles/palaces (Segovia, Granada)
-paradores (inns usually in historical buildings)
-towns clinging to the cliffs (Cuenca)
-walled cities (Avila & Toledo)
-Madrid's flea market (el Rastro)
-Andalucia in general but esp Cordoba & Sevilla, flamenco, shopping for silver and leather
-the central square in Salamanca filled w/ students
-the Costa del Sol
-the cute guys (hey, I was a teen)
-the long drives through arid rolling countryside in places like Extremadura.
-the "tunas" -- roaming groups of singing students in traditional garb
-the food and my first real encounters with wine, enjoyed w/my family & w/ meals, as it's meant to be!

But on my own, I never went back there until last year, choosing other places if I was going to Europe (esp Italy).
I had good memories, but didn't have the urge to return yet.

But I spent 11 great days in, mostly, Madrid last June after 3 weeks in Italy and I really enjoyed it.

This time:
food; art; nightlife; shopping; walking everywhere; hanging out people watching in Retiro park; hearing classical guitar music waft up into my room from some apt down the street every evening; cute men (well, I was visiting one, what can I say!); getting to know local people and learning more about the civil war; practicing Spanish; and, still castles, walled cities, and the emptiness of some of the landscape.

Next: el camino de santiago (I hope!)
Spain isn't always easy, but it is always worth it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -