Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which city would you recommend to see? Paris or Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to take a few days after our Danube cruise and want to know what city you would recommend visiting, Paris or Rome? Thank you!!
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 12:56 PM

It depends on your interests - I have been to both many times and would be hard to say which one someone would like best.

Paris has tons of famous museums - Rome classical relics but few museums, etc.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 01:02 PM

Who here could possibly have any idea which would suit you best? They are both wonderful and radically different. We have zero idea what might attract you to either of them.

Avail yourself of guidebooks, maps, and the internet to get some sense of what each city has to offer and make a decision based on your interests. Otherwise, toss a coin.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 01:04 PM

Or if can't decide take the one with better air fares getting to them and from there home.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 01:17 PM

If at the end of the trip and looking to relax I would pick Paris. It is calmer. Rome is very intense. While we love Rome and have spent more time in Rome than Paris, I would pick Paris to relax after a river cruise. I like the sidewalk cafe culture in Paris better than Rome. And a coin flip works also.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Depends what a few days means. Two to three days I’d go to Rome. A week, I’d go to Paris.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris!
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fmpden
If at the end of the trip and looking to relax I would pick Paris. It is calmer.... And a coin flip works also.
I don't agree with the first statement. One is as calm or intense as the other, depending on how you choose to spend your time. I do agree with the last though, a coin flip will work. See one now, the other later. It really makes no difference if there's no difference to you.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote Rome, in a heartbeat. But I agree with StCirq. Nobody here can know which you'd enjoy more.

Where does your cruise end? How do the logistics of getting to Paris and Rome compare? Would one destination be easier than the other?

BTW, I disagree that Rome has few museums.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 02:39 PM

The answer to your question is yes.

As for voting in a vacuum, that's just stupid. Do some research and you may discover you like the idea of one more than the other.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 04:54 PM

What month? It matters.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 05:23 PM
kja

Like StCirq and Jean, I don't think any of us can say what city YOU should visit -- you would, I think, be well advised to do some research to see what most appeals to YOU and best fits YOUR time frame.

And I, too, disagree with the comment that Rome has few museums.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PalenQ
Paris has tons of famous museums - Rome classical relics but few museums, etc.
This means that PalenQ has visited few museums in Rome, not that Rome has few museums.

As others have asked, where does your cruise end, what time of year, how much time do you have, what are your interests?

Both are wonderful cities. I prefer Rome but love Paris too.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Two of my absolute favorites. You can't go wrong either way. But in a ranking contest, Paris would finish second to no place on earth.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have an equal interest in the two cities, I would make a decision based on convenience and price. And if it is summer it is much hotter in Rome. If it is winter or spring it is milder in Rome.
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:30 AM

Hi there, I agree with Nikki about the heat... if you visit during the summer months then Rome can be stifling with Paris a much cooler option so if that is of concern then you may have your answer. Paris is a great place to stroll around,very easy to navigate and take in the sites and café culture. The Louvre could take you a day in itself so if art is an interest? You could take a train to the Palace of Versaille from Paris which is definitely worth the visit. I like to think of Rome as a museum in its own right, everywhere you turn you are looking at a piece of history, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon. Both are wonderful! My advice is that when you have made your mind up you buy skip the queue tickets for the big attractions (Eiffel tower, Louvre, Palace of Versaille in Paris), (St Pauls basilica, Sistine chapel in Rome) and guided tours for Palatine Hill and the Coliseum in Rome as they bring the places to life. Enjoy
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are going in early September. Everyone has been so helpful!