Reload this Page >

Rome and Paris/Compare and contrast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Leonora

I visited Paris for the first time last year, and it was all that I hoped for and more. I hope to see Italy in a year or so and was wondering what similarities and differences I could expect between the two cities? I am a bit concerned about crime in Rome. I worried about pickpockets in Paris too and ended up feeling safer there than in most large American cities.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:31 AM
elaine

Hi Leonora<BR>It's hard to compare cities, like the proverbial apples and oranges.<BR>These are some of my impressions, don't know if they are mathematically correct or not.<BR><BR>Rome seemed much morespread out to me, and the principal sights scattered <BR>all over the large city. Distances took more time to navigate, and I can be a pretty energetic and task-oriented walker. Paris's main sights are in a more compact central area.<BR><BR>Paris metro has more stops, making its use more convenient. Rome metro has fewer lines, fewer stops, much more walking required between stops.<BR><BR>I had been warned about crime in Rome, so much so that even tho I live in a large city in the US and have traveled to large cities abroad, for the first time I was a bit nervous about being in Rome on my own, regarding pickpockets and such. I'm happy and lucky to say that I still haven't been a crime victim, and I took no extra or special precautions in Rome beyond the basic common sense I usually use. I still used my regular totebag, no security wallets or hidden devices. Depending on what you are used to, you should use whatever practices you are comfortable with.<BR><BR>I've seen lots of homeless and beggars in Paris, especially in the metro. In Rome I didn't use the metro as much, but didn't encounter as many beggars there or on the streets. Near one site I saw two waifs walking toward me carrying some sort of a cardboard sign, and I waved them away and turned to another direction.<BR><BR>Rome traffic seemed horrendous to me, and it was everywhere, all the time, and very very noisy with motorcycles.<BR>Everytime I crossed a street I felt I was taking my life in my hands, and there were very few designated crosswalks with "walk" signs.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Pat Klontz

I think Rome is much harder to navigate if you are planning to use public transportation and/or walk which is how I generally get around. Even on my first visit, I don't think I ever felt lost in Paris. I took a good map of Rome, but finding the signs for streets, etc. was much harder than in Paris. Nonetheless, we managed to get everywhere we were headed eventually, and I loved the city.<BR>I would second everything Elaine said in the previous post. PJK

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:28 AM
JB

Leonora,<BR><BR>I LOVE BOTH CITIES!<BR><BR>In my opinion, Paris is a beautiful, elegant, modern city witha focus on the past 800 years of art, history, architecture, etc. I love the elegant food and wine.<BR><BR>Rome is also beautiful but in a "salt of the earth" way. Obviously, a modern city also but there is so much that is thousands of years old - - the beginning of everything. The Forum and the Coliseum are HUGE - that is how lots of Rome seemed to me - just gigantic! The food and wine is also earthier to me than the food in Paris.<BR><BR>Watch out for the gypsies in both cities and you will be fine. Use the same caution you would use in any US city and you will be fine.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
pam

Having recently returned from both Paris and Rome, I can say that both cities are beautiful, crowded, have horrible traffic, great food and unbelievable sights.<BR>Previous posters are correct in saying it is easier to get around Paris than Rome. We walked much more in Rome, plus it was so hot in Rome, it was more uncomfortable.<BR>As to safety, we actually felt safer in Rome, because the polizia and the carbinieri are everywhere -- they have succeeded in making tourists feel safe. Even the infamous #64 bus posed no problems.<BR>Shopping: Paris is better.<BR>Sights: Historically, Rome wins hands-down. But Paris is such a beautiful city, it gets points for just being Paris.<BR>If I had the chance to return to one, I would choose Paris, but just because we didn't stay there long enough.<BR>Pam<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Terry

France, particularly Paris and the Champagne region, used to be my husband's and my favorite place. We went three times in five years.<BR><BR>This year we decided to go to Italy for the first time. We loved it! Especially Rome. The food in Italy is absolutely fabulous. Rome was just so awesome.<BR><BR>Now I know it has been a long time since we've been to Paris (10 years) but my husband and I agree that Italy (especially Rome) is our favorite.<BR><BR>We were worried too about pickpockets because you hear about that all the time. But we had absolutely no problems and I actually felt very safe everywhere we went in Rome.<BR><BR>I highly recommend that you visit Rome. You may love it as much as we do.<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Nero

Part of the appeal of Paris is that, compared to Rome (or London) it is a “small” city, at least for the things most travelers want to see. For the real history buff, well, there’s just no comparison at all. The influence of Rome is massive in Europe and, in reality, reaches everywhere, even in the New World. Architecture, art, literature, everything from how we build our roads and bridges to how we fight our wars is largely reliant on the vestiges of the Roman Empire. So there is an ambiance to Rome that is unlike anywhere in the world (with the possible exception of Athens.)<BR><BR>As you can tell, I am enamored by history and from that viewpoint alone there are several cities, including the aforementioned Athens and London, which have more impact for me than Paris. Nevertheless, I think, Paris is more easily done than the others mentioned.<BR>