Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Which city would you recommend to see? Paris or Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/which-city-would-you-recommend-to-see-paris-or-rome-1648088/)

lindl Feb 5th, 2018 12:53 PM

Which city would you recommend to see? Paris or Rome?

We are going to take a few days after our Danube cruise and want to know what city you would recommend visiting, Paris or Rome? Thank you!!

PalenQ Feb 5th, 2018 12:56 PM

It depends on your interests - I have been to both many times and would be hard to say which one someone would like best.

Paris has tons of famous museums - Rome classical relics but few museums, etc.

StCirq Feb 5th, 2018 01:02 PM

Who here could possibly have any idea which would suit you best? They are both wonderful and radically different. We have zero idea what might attract you to either of them.

Avail yourself of guidebooks, maps, and the internet to get some sense of what each city has to offer and make a decision based on your interests. Otherwise, toss a coin.

PalenQ Feb 5th, 2018 01:04 PM

Or if can't decide take the one with better air fares getting to them and from there home.

fmpden Feb 5th, 2018 01:17 PM

If at the end of the trip and looking to relax I would pick Paris. It is calmer. Rome is very intense. While we love Rome and have spent more time in Rome than Paris, I would pick Paris to relax after a river cruise. I like the sidewalk cafe culture in Paris better than Rome. And a coin flip works also.

xcountry Feb 5th, 2018 01:28 PM

Depends what a few days means. Two to three days I’d go to Rome. A week, I’d go to Paris.

suze Feb 5th, 2018 02:10 PM

Paris!

MmePerdu Feb 5th, 2018 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by fmpden (Post 16668765)
If at the end of the trip and looking to relax I would pick Paris. It is calmer.... And a coin flip works also.

I don't agree with the first statement. One is as calm or intense as the other, depending on how you choose to spend your time. I do agree with the last though, a coin flip will work. See one now, the other later. It really makes no difference if there's no difference to you.

Jean Feb 5th, 2018 02:19 PM

I vote Rome, in a heartbeat. But I agree with StCirq. Nobody here can know which you'd enjoy more.

Where does your cruise end? How do the logistics of getting to Paris and Rome compare? Would one destination be easier than the other?

BTW, I disagree that Rome has few museums.

BigRuss Feb 5th, 2018 02:39 PM

The answer to your question is yes.

As for voting in a vacuum, that's just stupid. Do some research and you may discover you like the idea of one more than the other.

Belinda Feb 5th, 2018 04:54 PM

What month? It matters.

kja Feb 5th, 2018 05:23 PM

Like StCirq and Jean, I don't think any of us can say what city YOU should visit -- you would, I think, be well advised to do some research to see what most appeals to YOU and best fits YOUR time frame.

And I, too, disagree with the comment that Rome has few museums.

Leely2 Feb 5th, 2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16668727)
Paris has tons of famous museums - Rome classical relics but few museums, etc.

This means that PalenQ has visited few museums in Rome, not that Rome has few museums.

As others have asked, where does your cruise end, what time of year, how much time do you have, what are your interests?

Both are wonderful cities. I prefer Rome but love Paris too.

letsgeaux Feb 5th, 2018 07:58 PM

Two of my absolute favorites. You can't go wrong either way. But in a ranking contest, Paris would finish second to no place on earth.

Nikki Feb 6th, 2018 12:04 AM

If you have an equal interest in the two cities, I would make a decision based on convenience and price. And if it is summer it is much hotter in Rome. If it is winter or spring it is milder in Rome.

mamabearUK Feb 6th, 2018 12:30 AM

Hi there, I agree with Nikki about the heat... if you visit during the summer months then Rome can be stifling with Paris a much cooler option so if that is of concern then you may have your answer. Paris is a great place to stroll around,very easy to navigate and take in the sites and café culture. The Louvre could take you a day in itself so if art is an interest? You could take a train to the Palace of Versaille from Paris which is definitely worth the visit. I like to think of Rome as a museum in its own right, everywhere you turn you are looking at a piece of history, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon. Both are wonderful! My advice is that when you have made your mind up you buy skip the queue tickets for the big attractions (Eiffel tower, Louvre, Palace of Versaille in Paris), (St Pauls basilica, Sistine chapel in Rome) and guided tours for Palatine Hill and the Coliseum in Rome as they bring the places to life. Enjoy

lindl Feb 6th, 2018 04:48 AM

Thank you! We are going in early September. Everyone has been so helpful!