Which City for new year

Search

Which City for new year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which City for new year

Hi, I'm new to this site... We went to Amsterdam last new year and were thinking of going to Paris this year. I'm trying to get an idea on what there is to on NY's eve? Or which is the best european city to go to
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Edinburgh
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM

We rented an apartment in Nice for New Years.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely Edinburgh!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Edinburgh

www,edinburghshogmanay.com
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM

If you avoid the gales, heavy rain, high prices and the drunks
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 04:03 PM

VENICE. They have a TERRIFIC New Year's Eve, and although I wasn't there last year, I can tell you, they had a huge fireworks display over the San Marco basin, TWO Brazilian bands that started in Campo Santa Marguerita, then walked and played Brazilian samba from the Campo, over the Accademia Bridge, down the luxury shopping street Via XXII Marzo, and then, with a huge stage set up in the Piazza, they started back up with samba music, and there in front of the stage was a huge table FILLED WITH PROSECCO BOTTLES-yeah, that's right, uncorked for everybody just before midnight! For free! Everybody dancing, and then the fireworks getting started, this to me, is an IDEAL NYE. Special Venetian baked goods for Christmas and New Year's, in fact, on the Venice City Hall website, they will have a whole list of activities planned for what is called in Italiano "Capodanno", New Year's Eve. I would make reservations in advance for a special dinner either on the waterfront, or on a canal, as all the waterfront restaurants will have special NYE menus, very expensive, but with lots of wine and courses-on New Year's Day, a lot of people go for a chilly dip in the water off the Lido.

OR, as an alternative,

ROME-Capodanno in Roma is centered around the Piazza del Popolo-fireworks, nativity scenes next to the church, live bands, over by the Quirinale, classical music (also at other church venues throughout the city)-as in Venice, the big hotels and grand restaurants have a huge New Year's Eve feast lasting for a few hours, but definitely worth it!

My first choice would be Venice, then Rome. Hogmanay in Edinburgh is frankly, too rowdy for me anymore-it's lost its appeal because all the youngsters come up from London and up north, and it's really become just one big drunk fest-not really all that appealing.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Edinburgh? Absolutely NOT! I hated Hogmanay in Edinburgh; it was so cold and damp that I thought I was going to die! And I was born in damp London!

Go someplace warm! I'd be heading to Rio, sweetie darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM

we decided on rome.

if you're on any kind of limited budget, make up your mind soon! cheap accommodations are going fast (we're still trying to book!).

L
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM

We had a wonderful NYE in Salzburg several years ago. Great street party setup - kids went ice-skating under Motzart's statue while DH and I drank gluwein.

Kids didn't make it till midnight, but we watched the fireworks over the fortress from our hotel room (we stayed at the Bristol and had great view).