Mykonos in July - bad idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone - a group of 8 of us (in our early 30s) are planning a trip to the Greek Islands in summer 2008. Mykonos will be the major destination for our trip. We will also do Athens for 1-2 days, and perhaps one more island.

We have a mixed group - some who LOVE to party and drink, and others who are more into the natural beauty of the environment and the classic architecture. In order to accomodate both types, I wanted to find a time when there would be enough of a party crowd on Mykonos (so the bars and clubs don't seem "dead&quot, but I wanted to avoid LONG LONG waits at restaurants, and I wanted to avoid INTENSE crowds.

I had heard that late July - late August is the super High season. So I figured that July 12--> July20 would be a good time for our group - not too crowded and not too sedate. Any advice or suggestion would be VERY much appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Believe me, any time between mid-June and mid-September will be Peak Season on Mykonos. "Super-High" season or not, you can expect long lines and huge crowds there, partially thanks to its long-time popularity as well as the influx of cruise ships and charter flights that unload thousands of tourists every week. Good Luck.........
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Everything that Brotherleelove2004 said is so true. We were in Mykonos last July and it was pretty zooey. Trying to walk in town after dinner was like trying to get out of Madison Square Garden after a huge concert. Tons of crowds, and some shoving, too. We didn't like Mykonos much for that very reason,but those of you who like partying and drinking will no doubt enjoy it.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow - that's kinda depressing. During which part of July did you go to Mykonos, Weadles (early, mid, end)? It sounds kinda unpleasant that it was like Madison Square Garden after a concert.. yechh!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:12 PM

We visited in mid-July. We stayed just outside town at Grechotel Blu, which was another problem, since we were dependent on buses to get back in and out of town.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM

You might want to consider Santorini instead of Mykonos. Although it also suffers from a huge summer crowd, there's more there to see and do than on Mykonos, and with a little effort you can avoid the crowds and enjoy one of the most spectacular views in the world. There are accomodations for every budget from hostels to 5* luxury hotels. The main village of Fira has all the party scene your friends can handle, but just a short walk away you can be in a peaceful village sitting quietly on your private balcony looking at that incredible view. There's something for everyone on Santorini.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Air1975, mid-July to late August is going to be very busy on any Greek island with the features you seem to be seeking, especially Mykonos. Take your holiday a bit earlier, say mid-June, and you should find the right balance between too busy and too quiet.