which arrondissement to stay in Paris

Feb 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

which arrondissement to stay in Paris

I need some advice/comments. I have nearly completed all of the necessary reservations for our 11 day trip to France/Italy. Our last 2 days will be in Paris. Our top sights we would like to see will be the Eiffel Tower, Musee d'Orsay, and Montmartre/Sacre Coeur. We will be arriving at the Bercy train station in the morning (from Florence). Our return flight is out of CDG. We will have 2 full days in Paris. Any comments with respect to ease of transportion and hotels(2-3 start under 150 Euro) in either distrct? I am growing weary of tyring to find just the right hotel and location. Any suggestion will be much appreciated!
Feb 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Marais (3e arrondisement) or Latin Quarter (5e arrondisement) as it is close to everything, with just a short metro ride to anything that's not in walking distance. The Notre Dame, Louvre and the Pompideau museum are all within walking distance, and Orsay not too far. Ile de la Cite and Ile St Louis is also close as well.

I recommend Hotel de College du France as I stayed there last September.
http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/
but I'm sure others will give you great recommendations for other hotels.
Feb 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Arrondissements 1-8 are pretty much all good for first-time visitors.

I like the Hôtel de France on the Boulevard de la Tour Maubourg in the 7th when I'm looking for a bargain. You can walk to the Tour Eiffel (about 10 minutes) and even the Musée d'Orsay (more like 25 minutes), and Les Invalides and the Musée Rodin are also within easy walking distance, as is the ever-controversial Rue Cler. Of course you're also close to the métro at Ecole Militaire and several bus stops and plenty of cafés and restaurants.
Feb 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
ppm

My husband and I stayed at <a href="http://www.axialbeaubourg.com/">Hotel Axial Beaubourg</a> (I believe it is now called Hotel Duo) in the Marais (3e arrondisement). It is centrally located, walking distance to Notre Dame, Ile de la Cite and Ile St Louis. The nearest metro stop is Hotel de Ville (less than a block away).
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM

My husband and I lived in Paris in 1995. It was a dream come true! Although many tourists like the Left Bank, we lived on the Right Bank, in the 16th arrondisement, and there were many lovely and charming small hotels reasonably priced. We were right down the street from Trocadero and everything was within easy reach. The metro is so great there. Have fun!
Feb 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
nbujic

16th is very nice but not much going on at night!

Feb 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Since you will be there only 2 days, I would recommend Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche because of its location. It is in the 5th on the border of the 6th, about a block south of the Seine and less than 5 minutes to Notre Dame where you can get the city tour bus. Also very close to metro and the batobus (water taxi). It is across from St. Severin church.
Feb 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Hi, ld1217. I only can offer a comment regarding the Parisian leg of your itinerary. Arrondissements 1-8 are easy to travel around via Metro, and on foot (and in nice weather) it is rather pleasant to walk from the fifth or sixth arrondissement to the seventh. So a French hotel with character in the 5e (read: Quartier Latin) or 6e that fits your taste and budget in any of those would be great for reaching 7e monuments such as the Eiffel Tower and Musee d'Orsay. I would not advise staying at a hotel in Montmartre, no matter how charming the hilltop village is (and it is!) because many people have written, in various blogs, that they hated the trek back to the hotel. You know, you don't mind going down the hill, but ... OK, there IS a funiculaire to get you back up the hill. I found that visiting Montmartre as if it were a day trip made me feel like I was traveling outside of Paris. After all, Montmartre once was not a part of Paris. Montmartre had a mystique all its own, and depending on how much you want to see, can take a half-day to a full day, the latter especially if you want to cap the night doing something super-touristy such as enjoying le Moulin Rouge. Please just remember that Musee d'Orsay is a large museum and will take time, and to really soak in the atmosphere of Montmartre, you will need to walk a bit. And please don't do what so many tourists do in Montmartre; they limit their tour to the Sacre Coeur and the Place du Tertre. No, no, no. One of the highlights of my trip to Paris was wandering around the back streets past quaint houses, Lapin Agile and a small cemetary that I saw in a great little early''60s film titled "Paris Blues" (Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Diahann Carroll and Joanne Woodward). Even the pigeons on those enchanted streets looked happier than the ones I see on the streets of New York, New York. Bon voyage!
Feb 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Stay in the 5th or 6th - it's the center, so close to almost everything, and has lots of convenient metro stops. Plus, they are lovely quarters just to walk around in. A nice hotel (2 star - nothing fancy, but clean and convenient) is the Hotel Michelet Odéon in the 6th near Saint-Germain des Près. (www.hotelmicheletodeon.com) I think it's in the 100-130 euro range.

Have fun!

Search this Thread