Search

Which apartment in Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which apartment in Rome?

We've narrowed it down to two and our decisions are based on several factors:
Location (most important, we plan on walking nearly everywhere)
A separate bedroom (since we have a baby, we want the flexibility of having a "quite space" for naps, earlier bedtime, etc.)
Price (we're not looking to spend arm+leg)
Other wants WIFI, washer (so we can pack lightly) One has WIFI, the other washer!

Has anyone stayed at either of these?
What do you think about the locations of one vs. the other?

http://www.vrbo.com/263937

http://www.vrbo.com/275516

I'm not looking for new recommendations as we have made lots of inquiries and these are both available and suit our needs.

Thanks to all!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Hi B2S, sorry I can't help with location but I would much rather a washer in a vacation apt than WIFI. Perhaps there's an internet cafe nearby? The washer in the Paris apt I rented was a godsend. I will state though that I did not need the internet for business purposes, just personal. So not sure if that affects your decision...

Btw, the second apt seems very dark to me. I'd need a fair amount of natural light or I can get moody and depressed quickly.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM

i really like rentalinrome.com. i just booked an apartment with them and got excellent, hasslefree service. also, i just find the site to be well organized. once you click on the area you're interested in, you can then select the listings by price range.

i booked my apartment near piazza navona based on many recommendations for that area on here.

good luck!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't stayed at either, but both are in very good locations. Did the sleepinitaly folks give you the exact location of the Campo apartment? I didn't see it on the listing.

The ground floor place does look really dark and with a child you will probably be spending more time in the apartment (can't just "be out all day").

I think I'd take the first one because it's cheerier and has a washer.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM

The problem with the first one is that it is up three flights of stairs -- second floor in Italy is 3rd floor in the US. With a baby and a stroller, that can get old quickly. As for the 50 mt. from the Campo, I can tell you that it is probably not accurate. A place we rented from them was more like 500 mt. from the campo (half a mile). Try to get an exact location on the map.

But with a little one, you really do need a washer!

I think you might want to look some more.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I would not even consider an apt without a washer if I am traveling with a baby; add to that that it is ground floor a few minutes from the Spanish Steps (noise people +vespas levels) and I would be running the other way. You state you are not looking for new recommendations; too bad because you really needed them.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Here are two other final possibilities we are considering.

http://www.rentalinrome.com/arcodell...bellapenth.htm

AND

http://www.rentalinrome.com/teatropace/teatropace.htm

I am leaning toward Teatro Pace (2nd link) myself based on what we really need to have a sucessful trip. I think we have also concluded (as others have suggested) that having a washer in the apartment is more important that say WiFI. We like mimimalist travel (as far as luggage) goes and it will be interesting to see how we do with minimizing the baby accoutrements.

The first link is a more central location - and a beautiful apartment. The second link is less central (not much) but IMO is also quite good for us as the amenities are a bit more practical for us.

We also realize that more than about 1 floor of stairs gets to be a trial pretty quickly when we are carring all the other stuff that comes with traveling with baby.

Thanks for all the good suggestions so far and other useful tips. Let us know if you are familiar with either of the above apartments as well.

Note: I am the sort of map-guy for our trips and do extensive research with Google Earth, GE street view and any other stuff we may need to find our way - Back2Sabi kind of plans the logistics for our trips and gets us there- she is very good at it. ;')

Cheers
];')
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Teatro Pace definitely seems like the ideal choice. It's in a great area and has all the amenities you need. I would go with that one for sure.

LOL. my boyfriend are the same way. i plan out the itinerary and high level logistics and he makes it happen. we like to googlemap everything too.

have a great trip!
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM

OP & DH -- I think the first two that were proposed were poor choices, glad to see that you were open for continued searching.

If I was traveling with a baby I would definitely take the arcodella unit. It is the only of the 3 apts with a bathtub. Don't know how else you plan to bathe the baby.
Also the terrace is lovely, but then I don't know what time of year you plan on traveling. Finally, the more central location is a real plus with a baby. You can scoot back to the apt. quickly for down times and crankiness but easily get out and about again once baby is up to it. It is not as attractive as the Teatro unit, but I think the other issues prevail. By the way, does it have a washer? I would concur that it is vital!
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM

@ SuzChicago,

Teatro does have a washer and Arcodella does not. A washer is one of the things we need as we have learned to pack very light - Need one even more so with a baby.

Regarding baths for baby: There are these inflatable bathtub things that are small and easily pack up for a trip so a tub is not needed. Like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...LAID=401709195

Very useful.

];')
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like these both. They're about equally "central" to me; I would probably prefer Teatro Pace but they're both good! FWIW, I rented from Rentalinrome. My agent there was Michael Smith. I found him very nice and professional.

Just a note, second Italian floor is third floor, as the poster above mentioned, but third floor = two flights up, not three, though there are usually landings. I'm a stair-and-hill climber and have never been put off by high floors. I'd rent on the second Italian floor with a baby. Maybe not with a toddler, though.

Have a great trip and please post a review of your apartment when you return.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:08 AM

...And the winner is Teatro!

http://www.rentalinrome.com/teatropace/teatropace.htm

It had the best combination of central location and amenities. The washer was definitely one of the deciding factors is choosing this apartment. Once we stay there I will try to write up some sort of review for this place and our experiences with the rental company.

Now...if anyone has any info on what the brands of baby food or baby formula are called in Rome...Hmmm maybe time for a thread search or a new thread...

];')