Apartment rentals in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good site to find apartments in Italy? Rome, Florence, Tuscany. There are so many, I don't know where to start. Any suggestions on where to stay in Rome?
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM

A few years ago we stayed in Rome for two weeks in an apartment called Palazzo-olivia. It was near Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiore. Great location. Very helpful receptionist as well. www.palazzo-olivia.it
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; There are many apartment rentals companies, but www.slowtrav.com/ and www.vbro.com/ would be a start. Richard
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM

The recos you have are excellent.

But do be aware that apartments will not be similar to those in the US. (On another travel board a couple that rented an apartment in Rome were astonished that there were stairs - no elevator - that the apartment didn;t have AC, that the buildings was "old", and kitchen appliances weren;t identical to those at home.)

As long as you research carefully and have appropriate expectations (and understand the heat/AC issue) you should be fine.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nytraveler is right. For us, AC in the summer months is esential. Location is also important. Richard
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM

We rented a place in Venice via www.vbro.com for nine weeks last Christmas. The owner was American, and it worked well.
We'll rent the same place next time.

nytraveller is correct with regard to the facilities that you can expect - but then, you are going to Italy to experience Italy, not to have a transplanted American experience.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you stated on another thread that this is your first trip to Italy, you may find a hotel a better option. The front desk or concierge can be very helpful on a first trip to a new city or area.You will have questions about using public transit and finding good neighborhood restaurants. We always rent apartments now but have found hotels a better choice for a first time trip.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM

The original poster has stated in another post that she has traveled to Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and London, and rented apartments there. She hardly needs the condescension -- nor does Rome. If she wants an apartment with an elevator, and AC, with modern fixtures and furniture and a better kitchen than most New York City apartments, they can be found in Rome, no problem. Two weeks ago I rented an apartment in Liguria, for heaven's sake, with an elevator, and two gorgeous bathrooms, a dishwasher and beautiful gas stove, full refrigerator, espresso maker -- and a panoramic view of the sea. It was 110e a night.

These stereotypes about old Europe should have gone out with Donald Rumsfeld.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Zeppole, the fact that you rented a place with two bathrooms, coffee maker , elevator and whatever does not mean that such facilities will be found all over Italy in rental apartments. The advice from nytraveller was that one should not EXPECT the same facilities as a matter of course.

And if an elevator is important then NYT’s advice to enquire is very sound.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Nytraveler and Peter are correct. How do I know? From having lots of friends and family members by marriage all over Italy. It is not unusual to not have an elevator or an American type A/C etc.

Nancy, you will receive lots of information I am sure. You do not say when you will be in Italy but if it will be during the warm/hot months and if A/C is important to you do when you find apartments that appeals to you check on the A/C situation if that is important to you. Sometimes advertised A/C is just in the living room for example which means that the bedroom(s) will be hot and miserable. And it is not unusual to not have a clothes dryer. Best regards.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:29 PM

We had a clothes dryer in Venice. It was a clothes line outside the window!

Less than totally effective at temperatures below 2 degrees C.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM

I live on the third floor in Boston and don't have an elevator. I actually found that when I rented an apartment in Rome, I recognized most the stuff as being from Ikea. Things really are not that different in Europe!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Peter and Love,

Have either of you tried to book a rental apartment in NYC or another major US city recently? Do you "expect" air conditioning, elevators, a washing machine or -- or even a full kitchen? What are these "same" facilities you automatically expect to find in vacation rentals is New York or other American cities that are lacking in Rome?

Have you checked out prices of NYC holiday apartment rentals if you are looking for AC. elevator, dishwasher, etc? They are much more expensive than their European counterparts.

Lastly, have you ever seen posts in the US forum where first timers to NYC ask about renting apartments and are they legit? The responses are non-stop warnings and rightly so. And what about "wandering around at night" like one does in Rome, Paris, Barcelona or Madrid? Two am in NYC or Rome -- take your pick.

These posts make it sound like Rome is not as advanced a place as America when it comes to vacation rental apartments. In my experience, its Europeans who have to lower their expectations of quality of accommodations, dollar for dollar, euro for euro, when renting apartments, not the other way around.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Peter,

Only once in my entire life in America (which was decades) was I able to rent an apartment with a washing machine in my apartment, let alone a dryer. And I must have rented more than 20 different apartments.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM

PS: I presently rent a completely modern apartment in Italy, but do line dry my clothes. But I have air conditioning, new stove, fridge, fireplace, coffeemaker, wi-fi, satellite, and absolutely modern limestone-and-glass shower with a high-end shower head, marble bowl sink, bidet, video controlled gate-- and it came completely furnished with beds, sofas, lamps, tables, chairs and a breakfront-- right down to the dishes (yes, from IKEA) on a four-year lease.

I wouldn't "expect" the same renting an apartment ANYWHERE in America, and I pay less than what I would in America.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Here is one from our personal experience this past June. It is VRBO# 188213. I'm the last person to add a review.

It had an elevator, a washing machine but only a clothes line which was fine and 2 a/c units. It was very reasonable priced and we were very happy which our choice.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM

If I am reading correctly, the rental price of VRBO# 188213 in Rome is about 700 euros per week. It's a penthouse apartment.

A similar penthouse in NYC presently advertised in NY Habitats (AC, an elevator and a washer but also a dryer) is $2800 per week.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM

God, what on earth have NYtraveller and I started.

Simple advice – apartments in Europe are/may be different to apartments in the OP’s home town – has become a conversation about housing standards in Europe vs Other Places.

The thing is this: people become used to a level of comfort and amenity in their own homes. This is our case. Our home has things like a microwave oven, a clothes dryer, dishwasher, top end music system, very little Ikea furniture, nice art works on the walls, fine glassware, wide screen TV, wireless internet, cast iron cookware. Nothing fancy, but good enough. We don’t have A/C because we don’t need it.

Our apartment in Venice was IKEA’d to the hilt, no microwave, small TV, small stove, small fridge, tight spiral staircase to the second (American third) floor, even tighter spiral to the bedroom upstairs. Bamboo pattern wallpaper, hung upside down, kitchen sink that drained OK once I cleaned out the trap, shower and basin ditto, shared washing machine, and we did spend some time cleaning when we moved in. The heating system worked better once I bled the air out of it, and we did not need the A/C at Christmas. No high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets. It was perfect, and we had the happiest time there – we were there for nine weeks – but the amenity was nowhere near what we have in our own home.

All I’m are saying is that one ought not to automatically expect the same amenities that one finds in one’s own home. Or if that same level of amenity is needed, then it’s a good idea to ask.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Peter - It's not you. Have you heard the term right-fighter?
"when a person always thinks they are right and wants to battle everyone around him in order to convert them to their way of thinking."
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Right -- make correcting misleading posts some kind of weird thing to do.

Great advice: Don't expect a microwave in your Rome apartment.

Peter, did you notice you have changed the subject? Nytraveler and others didn't warn against not expecting it to be just like "one's own home" with your favorite artworks and fine glassware. You have been warning people against expecting modern amenities like supposedly people get when they rent vacation apartments in the USA.

This isn't a conversation about "housing standards." It's a conversation about what you get for your euro in Rome in a vacation rental.

I defy you find a NYC apartment rental in the price range of VRBO posted -- or what you paid for your Venice rental -- that is as nice as what you get in Europe for the same money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -