Whew, I have a tenative plan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, after weeks of reading posts, research and planning, I think I have come up with a plan. I am new to Fodors travel, but you are a wealth of information. Now, to the expertise of you wonderful locals. Please feel free to critique and refine as you see there is a need, as my only items set in stone are the airline tickets.
Fri Sept 10-arrive Edinburgh mid morning. Pick up rental car at airport-any ideas, pro or con on which company? Head out towards the M9 and Falkirk wheel. Then up the M80 to rejoin M9 and stop at Stirling Castle. Out again to the A9 to Scone Palace, then up to Pitlochry for the night. I know this will be a long day, but don’t see how I can avoid it.
Sat. Sept 11-lazy day and highland games in Pitlcohry
Sun. Sept 12-Head out towards Inverness. Stop at Queen’s view, Blair Castle, possible Falls of Bruar, and the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore, Cawdor Castle and into Inverness.
Mon. Sept 13- Visit the Loch Ness exhibition center and Culloden battlefield. Anything else?
Tues. Sept 14-Head down A82 towards Skye. Stop at Eileen Donan Castle, visit village of Plockton, staying in Uig.
Wed. Sept 15-touring Skye, Dunvegan Castle, Inverewe Gardens, and Skye Museum of Island Life, anything else of note?
Thurs. Sept 16-Off of Skye at the Armadale Ferry to Maillaig, down the A830 to Fort William. Stop and see the Glenfinnan Viaduct, the Ben Nevis Distillery, Loch Arkaig and Eas Waterfalls.
Fri. Sept 17- Up and out the A828 to the Sea life Sanctuary, side trip to Oban, out the A85 to Inveraray. Possibly stop at the Falls of Lora, Inverawe Smokehouse, Kilchurn Castle.
Sat. Sept 18-Leisurely day from Inveraray to Ayr. Possibly stop at Bemore Botanic Gardens and on to Burns National Heritage Park.
Sun. Sept 19-Busy driving day, can’t be helped. Ayr to Glasgow to Kirkcudbright. Need to be in Glasgow at 10:30 am, so early start, aprox 1.5 hrs. Is that reasonable on Sunday morning? Make meeting, then head down M74 to Closburn Castle. That seems to be the most direct, expedient route. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Mon. Sept 20-around Dumfries and Galloway. We have several family sights to see, so will spend time in the villages of the area. Can anyone comment on the festival in Creetown the 19th and 20th? Something fun to add in, possibly.
Tues. Sept 21-out towards Edinburgh with a stop at Roslyn Chapel. Question about car rental here. Is it feasible to rent car away from airport when we arrive and return it to the same location, maybe close to B & B? Don’t need it in the city. Have reservations at the Taste of Scotland show on Tues evening.
Wed. Sept 22-Spend the day hitting the highlights of the city.
Thurs. Sept 23-mid morning, have to leave on a train to London.
Again, feel free to critique, if I sound too ambitious and I will try to trim down. We are early risers and love to go, go, and go when we travel. Any re-routing, or must sees if I have any down-time on the routes would be appreciated. Especially local fare and restaurant suggestions where we are staying. Once again, I thank the experts.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM

It would be crime to drive so much on arrival. You will be jet lagged and in no condition to drive. A regards your plans... Nothing but driving pass the sites, take a photo and more driving. Not much of a holiday IMHO.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Why go from Inveraray to Ayr to Glasgow? Why not Glasgow first - surely that makes more sense?

I think you are doing too much, and assuming you can cover the distances involved in easy time. You are not giving enough time to too many places.

And I certainly agree with rogerdodger about your arrival day. You will be jetlagged, driving a strange car on the wrong side of the road. Not a good combination to then be sightseeing on your way to Pitlochry.

However it is your holiday, and if that is how you enjoy doing things I am not going to discourage you. But do think about the Inveraray to Ayr plan since you want to visit Glasgow anyway.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! It is exactly the reality check I needed. Will go as far as Stirling the first night, then on to Pitlochry after a good nights rest. Should be able to see castle grounds that way. Will look at rerouting Glasgow, Ayr, Inveraray Could probably cut out Ayr altogether, gotta go back and see what was on my list of things to do! Thanks again!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya know -- I wouldn't even drive as far as Stirling. You <i>might</i> be just fine, but more likely you will be exhausted/jetlagged. And your arrival day will be too late to find out which you are.

Consider staying the first night IN Edinburgh car-less. Walk around, get acclimated, see a few sites. Then collect your car after a good night's sleep and drive up to Pitlochry the next day.

I'll have to spend a bit more time reading your plan to see if there are any other alligators lurking - it does seems you are trying to cover too much territory in too little time.

If - say - your "musts" include Pitlochry Games, Skye, Ayshire and the SW, your meeting in Glasgow and Edinburgh . . . Use those to plan an itinerary w/ mostly 2 night stays (3 is better).

There are usually no drop off fees for your rental car -- but EDI is really the easiest place to turn it in. Driving in Edinburgh can be a pain.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM

We drove to Stirling Castle from Edinburgh last year after staying in ED for several days. No way would we have driven there after just getting there. It was hard enough finding our way out of Edinburgh (for us)after a good night's sleep.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Could you tell us the days you *have* to be somewhere and we'll see what we can come up with as as it stands it's likely you'll be in the morgue, hospital or jail within a couple of days
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

ok-should have come here before planning this adventure!!! We arrive Edinburgh Fri am, need to be in Pitlochry for the highland games on Sat.(Family time) Would like to see Skye, have to be in Glasgow 10-noon on Sunday the 19th, then want to spend time in Kirkcudbright as that is the ancestery area for my husband and one of the main purposes of this dream trip. He has a couple of family "castles" to see. Need to catch the train to London on Morning of the 23rd. That's the musts in a nutshell, will bow to your expertise on a new plan! Thanks much
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM

I've been away, but I think this was just way too tiring, so good to take a deep breath. Suggestion 1

Arrive Edinburgh Friday am. Drive to Stirling. Do castle and Bannockburn and chill.....

Saturday, drive to Pitlochry

Sun. Sept 12-Head out towards Inverness. See Blair Castle, possible Falls of Bruar, and the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore, and go across to Cawdor sand spend teh night there..

Mon. Sept 13- Visit the Culloden battlefield and Cawdor castle; drive down Loch Ness. Do Loch Ness exhibit (if you must) and go on towards Skye. Stop at Eileen Donan Castle, - do not go in. Stay in Plockton.

Tues and Wed. Sept 15-touring Skye, Dunvegan Castle, and Skye Museum of Island Life, mountains, beaches, views, Old Man of Storr. Stay in the middle.

Thurs. Sept 16-Off of Skye at the Armadale Ferry to Maillaig, down the A830 to Fort William. Stop and see the Glenfinnan Viaduct, the Ben Nevis Distillery, Loch Arkaig and Eas Waterfalls.

Fri. Sept 17- Up and out the A828 to the Sea life Sanctuary, side trip to Oban, out the A85 to Inveraray. Possibly stop at the Falls of Lora, Inverawe Smokehouse, Kilchurn Castle.

Sat. Sept 18-Leisurely day from Inveraray to Glasgow. Do something classy and cultural

Sunday- After meeting, then head down M74 to Closburn Castle. That seems to be the most direct, expedient route. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mon. Sept 20-around Dumfries and Galloway.

Tues. Sept 21-out towards Edinburgh with a stop at Roslyn Chapel. Return car

Wed. Sept 22-Spend the day hitting the highlights of the city.

Thurs. Sept 23-mid morning, have to leave on a train to London.

And that's bad enough!