Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where would you go for a one day excursion outside of Rome?

Jan 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

I will be taking a Med cruise in September and will be in Civitevecchia for only one day from 7am to 7pm. Since my husband and I have been to Rome several times, we decided that we'd like to see other towns outside of Rome.

We are thinking about visiting Tuscania, Tarquina, and Civita di Banareggio. Does this seem like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Also, if you have any suggestions as to private drivers in this area I would appreciate them. I know that a private driver will be expensive but, with so little time, I thought it might be a good investment to save time on transportation.

I will be looking forward to reading your thoughts and opiniions.
Jan 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Civita is pretty far. From the port, I would do a loop to include Pitgliano, Tarquina, and Porto San Stefano. Expect to pay about $300 for 8 hours.
Jan 28th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob. I wish I could find a driver for $300. The lowest wuote I have received so far is 450 Euro which is over $550. If you can recommend anyone in particular for less, I would appreciate the suggestion.
Jan 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't overlook Ostia Antica, which is a short train ride away.
Jan 29th, 2004, 12:35 AM

Another vote for Ostia Antica. Takes about a half hour train ride from Rome. Marvellous place. I was amazed by the market area where you could see the shops (meat market, bakery, etc.). We spent a great day there.
Jan 29th, 2004, 05:07 AM
JonJon

Unless you just absolutely cannot get enough of the "ruins" I'd go for the fountains at the Villa d'Este instead at Tivoli....whatever, have a great day.

Jan 29th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional suggestions. I will look into all of them.
Feb 24th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the above posted ideas. I just thought I'd try again to see if anyone else has opinions of Tarquinia and Tuscania. Or, if anyone has additional suggestions to add to the list.

Thank you again!
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

I looked into your suggestions but, according to the map, it seemed like Pitigliano is farther away from Civitevecchia than Civita. Could this be true? Do you have any other suggestions?
Feb 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM

What train do you take to get to Ostia?
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Interested in traveling to Tarqia, Italy, the site of the burial od a cousin in WW2. Where major airport is Tarqia near, and who flies there?
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
yk

jjhilton-

I was unable to locate a Tarqia in Italy. The closest I found was TarSia, which is in the "foot" part of Italy.

Since you question isn't related to the original poster's title, you might get more responses by posting a new message your own, with a title saying "Need help on Tarqia, Italy" or similar.
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:23 AM

We took a shore cruise to Tarquinia while on a med cruise and found it fascinating. The Etruscan Tombs are unique and the museum in town is excellent. I don't know how you would get there on your own from Civitevecchia, but it is worthwhile. As I remember the shore cruise was quite reasonable. Ostia Antica is also a great place to visit. Both places are mostly outside so you will only want to go if it is a nice day. Good luck!