Search

HELP with Praiano (Amalfi Coast)!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP with Praiano (Amalfi Coast)!!

Hi,

I am getting married in Ravello on October 8th. I have desperately been searching for "reasonable" accomodations for 8 of us in Positano and surrounding areas. I finally came up with some villa rentals in Praiano, but before I book I want to ask the ever-knowledgeable Fodorites their opinions.

Overall atmosphere and feel of Positano vs. Praiano?

How to get to Praiano from Naples airport? There will be at least 6 of us? Is a driver the best option? Any contacts and approximate cost?

How to get to Ravello from Praiano? Travel time?

To Positano? To Capri?

Praiano restaurants, cafes, shopping, sites, favorite or special places?

Lastly, our other option is to stay on Capri for the week. Praiano or Capri?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM

I've always liked Praiano, but that's because I like the smaller, more intimate villages. It's in a nice location along the coast, but you really can't compare it with the uniqueness of Positano. The same rugged coastal scenery is there, though.

A driver would certainly be the best way to get there from Naples. It's about 30 to 35 miles from Naples, so you could figure an hour's drive, more or less. I don't have contacts for a driver, but I know you can even hire one right at the Naples airport.

Ravello, of course, is up in the hills and about 5-6 miles from Praiano. I'd get a taxi for that trip, which will take about 30 minutes, perhaps a little less.

From Praiano to Positano is only about 3 miles. You could hire a taxi.

Praiano is not overly blessed with fine restaurants, but there are several good places to eat. Lately, it has added a few more shops, but remember that it isn't like shopping in Positano.

Getting to Capri, of course, involves a ferry. You can catch a ferry from Positano or Amalfi, and I've been told you can hire a private boat--but I'd be wary of that. Time to travel to Capri is about an hour.

Staying on Capri for a week would be too long for me. I'd rather be on the main coast and be able to explore other areas. But Capri is beautiful, and touristy, so you really have to make up your own mind. Praiano is simpler, smaller, more quaint in my opinion, but with every bit as many good views as from Capri. Good luck.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Hi Nina,

I'll be in Ravello in July,and am wonering why you have not considered staying in Ravello. Praiano is a nice small town with fantastic scenery,but as a town there is no comparision with Positano (some people feel that is a good thing). As a wedding party I would have thought that hiring a car or hiring a private driver is you only real option. The journey time in a car from Praiano to Ravello is 30 mins. We are using Salvatore of diveamalfi@hotmail again for our transfers.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM

ninalou,

Check previous posts written by IRA. He recently returned (from a second visit, I think) to Praiano.

You asked about Positano. It's very touristy, tons of shops, restaurants, wide range of hotels,tiny beach, although not much nightlife. In October, you'll probably find crowds, although not as much as in mid-late summer. The town is dramatically beautiful, and it's sunsets are hard to forget. Really depends on what you're looking for- a more tranquil place like Praiano or Ravello, or a place with more action and crowds like Positano. That's your call.

You asked about how to get from Naples to the coast, and for that I'd recommend getting in touch with Giovanni Gargiulo via e-mail at [email protected]. He is reliable, charming, and hysterically funny. I found his name here on the forum several years ago, and have used him and sent friends to him many times since then. Good luck, and congratulations on your wedding plans!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM
ira

Hi nina,

Refer to the Naples/Amalfi Coast portion of my trip report for information on Praiano. We liked it very much.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
TeeGirl

If you go to www.theknot.com there is a bride who got married in Positano. Her screen name is positanobride. When you go to the website, click talk at the top. In the box marked search the boards, type in positano or positanobride. She is very helpful!

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Ciao ninalou,

Whereabouts in Ravello are you getting married ?