Where to stay in Paris?!

Search

Where to stay in Paris?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Paris?!

I've made the mistake of planning to spend New Years (Dec 30 to Jan 2, to be exact) in Paris without having already booked any accomodation. Everything seems to be booked out, aah!!

I had heard that Champs-Elysees was THE place to be in Paris on NYE (feel free to comment on that too), and so I was initially trying to find accomodation in that area. Keep in mind, there'll be two of us, and we're poor students hehe, and so I'd not be too happy paying more than about 25 euros for a hostel or 40 euros for a hotel (per person, that is). Though to be honest I don't really care how grotty the place is so long as it's safe and there's no curfew/lockout.

Anyway, it seems as though given our budget, staying around the Triangle D'Or is a bit of a high expectation, but now I'm wondering: Is that even such a nice place to stay??

Which regions/arrondissements would be considered central, and not too far from the action or the main sites of Paris??

I've been looking at maps of Paris and accomodation booking sites for the last two and a half hours and now I don't know what's what.

Ready to tear my hair out!!

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:15 AM

A room at the Hotel Marignan should fit your budget perfectly without the grotty factor. It's clean and comfortable, but no elevator and some of the rooms share baths. In the Latin Quarter, it's probably a more interesting location for "poor students" than the fusty and expensive area around the Champs. It's been hosting "poor students" since my student days, longer ago than either of us want to talk about.
http://www.hotel-marignan.com/

As for the Champs Elysées on New Year's Eve (called Saint Sylvestre in France) it's a zoo and someplace I stay away from, but it sounds like we are of different generations, so you probably should ask others for advice about that.

If you are in the Champs area long after midnight, remember that you'll probably have to walk home to wherever you're staying, if you actually go home before morning, since the metro won't be running that late.

Have a good time.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Have you checked www.venere.com? There are numerous vacancies in your price range (80ish Euros total) for the dates you requested. Venere will allow you to search availability on your specific dates, then you can narrow down by clicking on the map, then sort by clicking on the price column. There are also some B&Bs with availability for your dates.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to try to stay around the Champs-Elysees. It will be too expensive for you, there aren't good budget accommodations around there. There are other parts of Paris that are full of people and centers of partying on NY eve, and more suited to your demographics. Place Bastille is one of them, and there are hostels and budget hotels near it, so I'd suggest you stay in the 11th arrondisement.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The metro will run all night on December 31st, and it is free from 6 p.m. on the 31st until noon the next day. So you can stay anywhere in the city.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to those who have replied. I had tried Hotel Marignan but they are full, and so was anything in our price range on www,venere,com. I've spent the last two weeks trying to find something, and it just doesn't seem to be working for me.

I'm not so worried about not finding ANYTHING, since there are lots of places on the very outskirts of Paris that are available, but obviously I really, really would rather stay somewhere more central, such as the Latin Quarter as somebody above suggested.

Does anybody have anything else to suggest, or are we just doomed to spend half of our stay in Paris commuting??
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Try a free booking site called www.parishotels.com.

Most of the hotels there have a real time booking feature so you can see right away if there is availability.

Good luck. NYE is a very popular time when most hotels book up early.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Would you not consider staying in an apartment? It might be cheaper, you can come and go as you like (no curfews ot lock-outs) We recently stayed in an apartment in Montmatre (very close to Sacre Coeur and Place de Tertre)- Vacation Rentals by Owner Listing #80234 - the atmosphere was vibey - and I would think an ideal place for students to spend over New Year.It might not be in the centre of Paris but has an appeal of its own.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Here are some less-often mentioned hotels that you might consider (although the prices are a tad more than what you hoped for...)

<>Hotel Victoria Chatelet Twin room 93€
http://www.hovicha.com/
17 Avenue Victoria, Paris 75001
Tel: (+33) 1 40 26 90 17
Fax: (+33) 1 40 26 35 61

<>Hotel Carladez Cambronne Twin 91€ AVAILABLE
http://www.hotelcarladez.com/
3, place du Général Beuret, 75015
Tél. : 01 47 34 07 12
Fax : 01 40 65 95 68
Email: [email protected]

(no Tripadvisor comments but you can find some at
http://www.cybevasion.com and www.venere.com )

<>Hotel Kensington Twin room 72€
http://www.hotel-kensington.com/
79 Avenue de la Bourdonnais 75007
Email: [email protected]
Tel: + 33 (0)1 47 05 74 00
Fax: + 33 (0)1 47 05 25 81

<>Hotel des Voyageurs Room: 50€
http://www.hoteldesvoyageursparis.com/
22 rue Boulard, 75014
Email reservations: [email protected]
Tel: +33 1 43 21 08 20
Fax: +33 1 43 21 08 21
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Give a look at the 200 or so Accor hotels in Paris at www.accorhotels.com -- that will show you if there are really availability problems or not. And one good thing about them is that you can book a hotel online through them and (except for the cheapest promotional rates), cancel your reservation up until 7 p.m. on the date of arrival. This gives you an escape hatch if you find something better.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
ira

Hi J,

This hotel is not central, but it has been recommended by another poster and is close to metros.

www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm