where to stay in Granada; El Albayzín

Jul 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

where to stay in Granada; El Albayzín

My wife and I will be in Granada for a few days in late February/March. Not ideal timing as it could be quite chilly I’d guess, but we are still looking forward.

I have read a great deal about the Albayzin area. It sounds very charming. Anyone have any suggestions for a clean, quaint hotel or small apartment? I want to be close enough to the Plaza Neuva area of town for bars or nightlife, but I think we will spend as much if not more time in the tangled lanes of the Moorish quarter.

Not sure we will make it as far up as Sacremonte; anywhere to stay up that far? I realize its hilly all over town, but I would prefer to be not TOO far up the main hill….so maybe “lower Albayzin” if there is such a thing?

Any advice on places (areas or particular properties) to stay or things to avoid are appreciated.

Cheers,

brendan
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I've seen a few of your posts Brendan -- sounds like we are doing similar tours although ours in in Sept/Oct.

We are in Granada only one night (but two nearly full days). Our goal has been to find budget places with some charm (more money for vino and tapas, eh?) and we decided upon the Hotel Plaza Nueva (so it's near nightlife and on the edge of the Albayzin, maybe a bit noisy at night, many choices for inexpensive breakfast in the AM in the Plaza). There is some info here if you search on the name. I was convinced by the nice candid shots of rooms and views on TripAdvisor, plus its proximity to the areas we are interested in. Oh, and the value -- singles for 44, doubles for 59, right on their website.

Good luck with your trip planning -- you will find tons of good info here. Maribel doesn't have a Granada guide just yet, but she wrote a very comprehensive post awhile back (May maybe?) on Granada.
Jul 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Try www.elnumero8.com Its a rather funky place that is very accurately described on its website. Affordable and in the heart of the Albaycin. As such, it is not for anyone with mobility problems (the Albaycin isn't!) but you have the feeling of closeness to the tourist areas but living in a bygone era. We stayed two nights in May and enjoyed its rooftop terrace and views of the Alhambra.
Good luck. Paul
Jul 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM

brendan

We lodged at the Casa del Capitel Nazari Hotel built in 1503 and located in the Albaycin district, in front of the Alhambra.

We loved this old palace built around a courtyard and only paid the daily rate of 75 euro for the room (April 2007). I can't find their 2009 rates though.

Here's the link

http://www.hotelcasacapitel.com/ingles/index.html

joe
Jul 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I have not personally at at this hotel, however at the recommendation of Maribel a friend of mine stayed 5 days last month and LOVED it. It is near to the Alhambra and considered a "carmen" a hotel that was originally a rsidence with a private patio garden.

My friends could not say enough good things about the owners/hosts
Here is the hotel:
http://www.alcubilladelcaracol.com/index_en.htm
Jul 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks gang!
Jul 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM

We stayed in this great apartment in the Albaicin, very close to late-night restaurants and an easy walk to the Plaza Nueva. I highly recommend the agency and this particular property, though it will help if you speak a little Spanish. SUPER clean and very comfortable. Enjoy!

(Sorry--I can't seem to render this link properly--you will probably need to copy & paste. It should including the ending ".cgi?0&6" but no quotation marks.)

http://www.vivegranada.com/cgi-bin/casas.cgi?0&6
Jul 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

good site, Overbeck. Which property of those listed did you stay at?
Jul 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM

That is a good site, bookmarking for future reference (hopefully!)