Granada hotel in town? or Alhambra

Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Granada hotel in town? or Alhambra

We have two nights in Granada with an Alhambra night tour on night 1 and another Alhambra 2 pm day tour the following day. Would you stay near Alhambra or book something in town? If in town, does anyone have a good recommendation? Our budget is about $150-$200 per night. We will not have a car.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Hi-
We did not have a car and stayed right across the street from the Alhambra entrance at the Hotel Guadalupe. I think it was less than your budget, but it was quite nice and very convenient to the Alhambra (esp. if you're doing a night tour).
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
nbujic

we had the same question for the same situation. Someone recommended hotel Casa Morisca, we liked the location and booked it for Oct. ( 148 euros)

Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM

We stayed at Hotel America in 2004 -- our room was small but perfectly adequate. America and the Parador are the only accommodations within the Alhambra grounds, which are beautiful at night after the crowds are gone.
There is a convenient city bus stop nearby, so you can get to downtown Granada easily. You do not need a car.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
kit

We stayed in town and loved it...much to see and do there as well, which may have been/seemed a little inconvenient if on the grounds of the Alhambra.

You will love Granada! Have a blast...I am jealous!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

Don't sweat it - up the hill or down the hill will be just fine. My personal preference is "down the hill" so as to be able to "stroll" the bars and restaruants in the evening. "six of one, four.... How does that go?"
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM

We stayed at the
Ac Palacio De Santa Paula last summer and loved it. I see complaints on tripadvisor.com (which is why I'm learning to avoid them) but I totally don't agree. We stayed in the new section. The room wasn't huge but very comfortable despite overlooking the street. The sound proof windows did their job completely (and I hate noise). Ate at restaurant as well one night and thought the food was great.

We had a car but parked and left it. To get to the Alhambra we took a tour that picked us up. We broke off from the tour towards the end and walked back with out much of a problem but if you aren't very mobile the streets are steep.

Thought the staff was very friendly and we were in a good spot to see more of Grananda than just the Alhambra. We'd definitely go back.
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

When are you going? Hotel America is closed right now.( for the season I am guessing) I was just there at Alhambra 3 days ago!! I would also stay in town - down the Hill, There is a lot to do!
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there April 27-29th.

Generally, I'd prefer to stay in town and just take a taxi or bus up to Alhambra. It's usually easier to find shops, restaurants that way, but with two tours to Alhambra, maybe we'll check out Guadalupe or the Parador.
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM

I agree that being down the hill is in a way better. Going up and down is very simple either by bus or taxi which for two is more or less same expense.
If you are at the feet of the hill, called Cuesta in Spanish you can enjoy strolling down there, cafes, ...whatever and take the bus or taxi up which is so simple.
Only exemption might be staying at the Parador because of its history and because it is nice. The hotel America is ok, we stayed there once but I rather be in any hotel down, if I recall right there is one called Murcia, we stayed there ages ago, at it was also ok.
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM

try the hard to get into expensive hostel/pousada at the alhambra-backs up to the wall and at the top of the hill that leads to the alhambra entrance.
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:39 AM

We stayed one night at the Melia Granada it is located close enough to the Alhambra that you can walk. Although the hill is going to make you huff and puff a bit by the time you get to the top. Granada was the favorite place for my wife on our recent trip. The Melia is nice, with an excellent breakfast and the rooms were comfortable. We had them valet park the car and it takes about 15 minutes for them to get your car when you need it.

jc
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM

Several years ago,we stayed at the Hotel Macia which is in the Plaza Nueva area...a pretty happening place and close to the Albacin. We got on a bus to go to the Alhambra. We liked the hotel and the location. Not sure what the prices would be now, but it was moderate at the time.