Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

where to stay in Cinque Terre or toen outside?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to italy late Aug early Sept. We want to spend 2 days in the Cinque Terre/Italian Riviera with one day hiking in the 5 towns. Should we stay in the Cinque Terre or some were like levanto or Santa Margarita Ligure? Any help would be appreciated. We are so confused as to what is best at this point.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM

nlmb, I think you will get a variety of informative tips on this site on which town to stay in.

In my opinion, any of the choices are good ones; everyone I know personally who has been to this area loved it and loved their choice of location.

Santa Margherita is a pretty town, and I enjoyed a night spent there, but it is a little far for a Cinqe Terre headquarters.

I liked staying in Levanto because it has good restaurant and lodging options, a wide and sandy beach, friendly locals (at least before high season) and is within minutes by train to the 'first' Cinque Terre village.

When I was there a few years ago in late May there were European tourists there (Italian and German) but no other Americans (hey, I am an American, but it is always fun to be somewhere where you don't hear your own language constantly being spoken) and it was much less crowded than the CT proper.

Wherever you stay, enjoy the delicious food (pesto pasta, good fish, local wine, limoncino) of the area. Yum!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Hello
If you like stay in CT make your stay very special and enjoy in CT
The CT are Monterosso -Vernazza -Corniglia - Manarola -Riomaggiore
Every where we have good places but
CT are National Park and Unesco World
Heritage
mino
from Vernazza 5 terre
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM

The New York Times newspaper has a full page article on Cinque Terre in the travel section today.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM

It seems that since you only have a short time there, I'd opt to stay nearby in one of the 5 towns. This way you can also experience the flavor of the CT after the daytrippers leave.

I've done extensive research using this excellent Fodor's board and it seems that the most popular towns are Vernazza and Manarola.

Not sure what your price range is, but these 2 amazing properties were suggested to us by fellow fodorites. We booked La Mala for our trip in October. Tripadvisor has excellent reviews for both places.

Manarola http://www.arpaiu.com/english.html

Vernazza
http://www.lamala.it/en/index.html

Have fun....
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. thinking more about this, I agree with the suggestion of staying in one of the 5 towns. I will look into your recommendations. Thanks so much!