Where to stay in Bologna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (6-10 total) plan to spend several days in Bologna on our trip to Italy next year. We would prefer to stay in town, close to the train station for day trips to Parma, Modena, etc. Our preference would be for a B&B or small hotel. Nothing too exorbitant (say, 2*). Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM

We enjoyed the Hotel Paradise. It is in the pedestrian district near the center of town, but not too far a walk to the train station.
It is a small hotel, but like every hotel I know in Italy, it serves breakfast. They have some ``family'' rooms which have kitchens and bedrooms, which may be good for your group.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Hub and I stayed in the Sofitel opposite the train station. This was several years ago so prices may not be so good now. Ask for a room in the back and you don't hear any street noise. There is an outdoor bar in the back also. Not a small hotel but a nice one IMHO. Very easy walk to train. About 15 minute walk to Bologna sites. If you have the time, take a taxi to the church on the hill and walk down through the loooong covered walk. Will check notes for name and add it later. You will love the food in there!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, capxxx and TDudette, for your suggestions. Any other info re: Bologna will also be appreciated.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM

We stayed in at the Hotel Paradise last month and thought it was excellent. It is in the historic centre. We were in a car but we thought we could have walked from the railway station - I think it would take c.15 minutes. We were upgraded to a superior room, I think, and it was lovely - big, nicely decorated, well-equipped, good aircon. Breakfast was decent and the staff were very nice - especially the lady I took to be the owner who couldn't do enough for us (when we backed out after loading our bags in the car, she even suddenly appeared behind us to guide us out !).

We paid a very good price of €80pn B&B for (what should have been) a standard double but like everywhere in Bologna, prices seem to vary dramatically when there are trade fairs on. The official rate on the back of the door, which I'd take to be the maximim, was €240pn + €30pp for breakfast !!!

I will be posting a rave review on Tripadvisor, I just haven't got round to it yet.

We really liked Bologna overall and hope to go back. Unfortunately the main rooms of renaissance art at the Pinoacoteca were closed for renovation while we were there. I will be posting a trip report, also when I get round to it.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Just a suggestion Nole. As soon as you know when you want to stay in Bologna book your hotel rooms. In that I have never been that organized I have never been able to stay even overnight in Bologna due to all rooms being booked due to Trade Shows. Even an Italian friend in Italy that has a travel agency was never able to book a room for us. Always visited Bologna at the wrong time it seems. I love Bologna and am sure you will also.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM

NoleNomad, The church I mentioned is Basilica San Luca. It is lovely and there is a 3.5-kilometer covered walk down the hill back to neat area in Bologna! It took us an hour to amble down. Occasional joggers going up had our respect!
Hotel clerk suggested Bertino's for dinner (it's about 10 minute walk from Sofitel-don't have address anymore) and we each had boiled or grilled dinner. It was so much food! We couldn't believe that some diners were also eating pasta and dessert! Bologna rocks!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great recs, everyone. They are very much appreciated and will be duly recorded in my planning notes.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM

We stayed at Zanhotel Regina, on the main shopping street, close to train station and to main place. We paid 78 Euro for a double room with A/C and breakfast (buffet) included.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Try the Al Cappello Rosso Hotel - my friends who live in Bologna always recommend it and it is situated in the heart of the historic center of town
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I stayed at Albergo Centrale:

http://www.albergocentralebologna.it/en/

About a 10 minute walk to the train station but literally a 2 minute walk to the Piazza Maggiore. I thought the area around the train station not very attractive ( as most areas around train station are).

I'll top my Bologna trip report for you (or just click on my name)
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM

NoleNoman,

In May, 2007, we stayed at the Hotel Porta San Mamolo, Vicola del Falcone, 6/8, Bologna.

The double room rate was 120 euro per night including taxes and breakfast. Lovely large room and a huge new bathroom.

www.hotel-portasanmamolo.com