Where to shop in Paris?

Apr 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Where to shop in Paris?

Im 18 years old and am looking forward to doing a little shopping in central Paris this summer. Yet I am on a budget and can't spend too much on clothes. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about where I should go? Thankyou!
Apr 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM

What is it you're interested in shopping for? If it's just clothes, my 19-year-old always heads to Zara and H&M and Pimkey. But truthfully, with the exchange rate you can do much better in the States, and can find Zara and H&M stores here as well. You might have more fun heading to the Monoprix and buying some inexpensive French cosmetics.
Apr 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Totally agree with StCirq.

Prices are actually higher in Europe for the same merchandise.

Only buy something you know is not available, or very difficult to find in the U.S.

Still, shop 'til you drop, even if it's only looking.
Apr 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM

You will probably hear lots of folks tell you that haute couture will be waaayyy out of your price range and they will be right. Take a look in the designerr shops and grand magasins (department stores) but be prepared for sticker shock. Don't despair, though - there are lots of places you can shop. Because the clothing industry is so globalized you will find many of the chain stores sell things similar to what is sold in the US, but you may want to stroll through a shopping center like the one at Place d'Italie. My 18 yo niece found a store that sells the clothes (and shoes) worn once for fashion shows. It is called Tabala and is at 8, rue Castex, just off rue Saint-Antoine west of Bastille. Prices were still a bit steep but she found a splurge to remember her trip. For inexpensive/ knockoffs try Tati - locations all over paris but the one with the most clothing is at 4, blvd Rochechouart(Métro Barbès) in a seedy but not unsafe neighborhood near Montmartre. A few years ago it was all the reverse snobbery rage to be seen carrying one of the pink checked Tati bags.
Apr 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM

For inexpensive, fun clothes, try some of the little shops such as Cite in St Germain Des-Pres-- around the Mabillon metro stop where Blvd St Germain intersects Rue de Buci. Also C&A on Haussman (similar to H&M but not available in the US) and the Monoprix stores (fun unusual socks and tights).
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM

actually, while I was in Paris there was an absolutely AMAZING market on the streets every saturday (I'm an 18-year-old female, know where you're coming from!!)

Seriously, wander through that for a while. My little sister bought a gorgeous wrap for like 3 euros and I got an absolutely stunning beaded purse for about 7. That's what I reccomend.

Also, the further you get from the center of the city, the cheaper things get as far as shops go.
Apr 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM

When we were in Paris in March, we went to the BHV (near Hotel de Ville) which I have later seen referred to as the "Sears" of Paris. Also check out Monoprix, the one on Champs Eleysees for reasonably priced items.

There are a number of cute boutiques with fairly reasonably priced clothes on Rue St. Dominique, near the Ecole Militaire Metro stop, close to Rue Cler and Eiffel Tower/Champs du Mars area.

If you are in Paris in July, you will be there for the "Soldes", where you can get great buys on sale. Check out the shops near Place des Vosges in the Marais - great shoe shops and clothing boutiques!

Bonne chance et bon voyage
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM

chenoa, there are lots of inexpensive shops along the Rue de Rivoli including an H&M that had very different stock than here in Boston. My luggage was lost last year and I bought a Kookai skirt in BHV on the Rivili on sale for $15. Keep in mind that at low prices, few will be made in France but still designed by the French designer like Kookai.
Apr 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Rastaguytoday..that should be, "Shop 'til you drop...then crawl!"
Apr 15th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Most teenagers in Paris shop the four levels of the Forum des Halles on top of the Châtelet-Les Halles RER station. It has every single shop of interest for young fashion. www.forumdeshalles.com (click on lower left hand corner for English)