COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Paris Thrift Shops? Designer Seconds?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Scott

Paris Thrift Shops? Designer Seconds?

I'll be in Paris in a few weeks with my teenage daughter and was hoping some Fodorites could steer us to some shops where we could poke through "second time around" clothing and/or designer seconds. We've been to Paris before and are aware of the availability of such things at some of the markets, but we found their clothes to be mostly in giant unorganized heaps. We're looking for something a bit more upscale...maybe clothes on hangers at least...possibly even sorted by gender? Is there a Parisian version of Value Village?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Dianne

I watched a Lonely Planet special last night on Paris which showcased a store with lots of great bargains on fashions, I think it was called TATI.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Barb

Scott--I topped a couple of threads for you; you might also do a search, as this has been covered before with some good lists. Also check "Born To Shop Paris" by Suzy Gershman. I recommend her book often for several countries, because she does a pretty comprehensive list of shopping sources for almost every category of product.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Gayle

There is a fabulous little store on Fauborg St. Honore a few steps past the Hotel Bristol (same side of street). I am sorry I don't remember the name. It's all gently worn high end designer women's clothes. Very good quality, excellent prices. All sizes, well organized by garment type. The shop staff are helpful and speak English. You have to dig a bit as the store is tiny, but there are some wonderful finds. Some good accessories here too.

I also highly recommend Suzy Gershman's book, "Born to Shop". It's wonderful!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:33 AM
BTilke

Reciproque on rue de la Pompe in the 16th is arguably the most famous of the designer second hand shops, but I have heard that it has become a victim of its own popularity and that the quality of the merchandise and service has deteriorated. Still it's worth checking out. There is another good second hand store on 124 Avenue Mozart, also in the 16th, but the merchandise there is more geared to the professional woman than to a teenager.
In the 7th, the rue de Grenelle, going both ways from the popular rue Cler, has several "degriffe" shops, which have designer clothes with the labels removed. Also "stock" shops with seasonal leftovers, etc. Don't forget to check in some of the moderately priced stores with plenty of clothes to appeal to teenagers, like Zara, Alain Manoukian, Mexx, H & M, and C & A.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Gayle

I also forgot to mention Didier Ludot. He has two stores, one dedicated only to the "little black dress". His shops are gems, but no bargains to be had here. Worth a look for the beautifully restored vintage French designers.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
andi

The name of the second-hand designer store on Faubourg St. Honore is Anna Lowe. I found no great bargains there and did much better at Galeries Lafayette buying new (professional type stuff -pantsuits, etc.). I've worn these things three years, and they still look great, not worn or out-of-date at all. Also liked Alain Manoukian on Blvd. St. Germain, got great, very stylish work clothes there, great prices. FYI - I'm now 51, have a fairly sophisticated look - these were not kids' clothes. Another great area filled with discount designer stuff is Rue Vielle du Temple in the Marais - a store called Braderie (they are all over Paris, I think it means discount), but that's a great shopping destination street for bargains.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:15 PM
me

This is an old thread, but I wanted to revive it, in case there's any fresh advice out there. European equivalent to Saver's or Goodwill?

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Christina

The store name mentioned above "Braderie" means "clearance sale" so that could be on a sign, as well as the name of a discount store chain in France.

I've never heard of a store specifically like Goodwill in Paris (and I don't know what Saver's is) in being related to a charity, but there are clothing thrift shops in Paris once you get out of the expensive areas. ONe area with some is around Les Halles forum, you could just get out there and walk around those streets and you'll find some probably. One in particular I know is named Killiwatch at 64 rue Tiquetonne, 2e a few blocks north of there and it has thrift stuff in the back. They have some system where they sell them by the kilo--the front of the store has new trendy clothes.
I don't know if I'd spend my time in Paris doing that kind of shopping, it's probably nothing different or better than you'd get in a thrift shop at home.

FOr general discount stores with designer seconds, last year's styles, degriffe, etc, try the streets St-Dominique, St-Placide and Alesia. The flea market in the 12th arr. at place Aligre (in the mornings every day but maybe Sun-Mon) has some cheap clothes, also.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 08:23 PM
xxx

One second-hand store that I keep remembering because of its name is called Mouton des Cinq Pattes; I believe there's a store on Blvd. St. Germain. Don't know what the name of the store means but it sounds interesting.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Maria

Ok everyone... enough of this 2nd hand DESIGNER store stuff...here's the lowdown for "a la Goodwill/Salvation Army:

Montreuil Flea Market - Sat & Sunday
Porte de Montreuil - 20th Arr.

Go there - find clothes! of course it's either for young people who's eyes and style are more open and die-hard style conscious people that can make something out of "nothing" - HAVE FUN!

Old Dec 24th, 2011, 03:32 AM

You can also check Craigslist Paris for used clothes and garage sell listings
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Here is a list from the Paris Tourisme Office of Overstock and Consignment stores:

http://www.parisinfo.com/shopping-pa...-et-degriffes/

I didn't find this same list in English-but the info is pretty straightforward and if you go the English side of the same web I think they are mixed in with the whole list of shops
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM

"One second-hand store that I keep remembering because of its name is called Mouton des Cinq Pattes; I believe there's a store on Blvd. St. Germain. Don't know what the name of the store means but it sounds interesting."

Un mouton à cinq pattes is something (or someone) exceptionnal, rare, difficult or impossible to find.
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM

You might try merci
111 boulevard Beaumarchais
75003 Paris
tel: +33 (0)1 42 77 00 33
www.merci-merci.com

Or Sympa you'll have to google the address but it is near the Anvers Metro stop!
Old Dec 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM

just in case folks are replying to the OP -- he posted this nearly 10 years ago . . .

(not quite sure how Abbey_Freeman even found this to top?? )
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:11 AM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I never think to look at the date of original postings!
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM

It's OK, most of us don't. But if you google "shopping on rue du cherche-midi" lots of stuff comes up. DH and I stayed there without realizing we were on such a good street. I bought goodies at Poilane's, again oblivious, and shared them with the ladies at the laundry. Good restos also.