Where to process VAT refund

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to process VAT refund

Bought stuff in London and Paris. We fly back to the U.S. out of CDG, then a connecting flight in Heathrow back to Los Angeles.

Do we process VAT refund at CDG or LHX? Thx!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM

I would think CDG as your ticket is for LA.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM

You need to have the VAT refund at your point of exit from the EU, which will be LHR in your case. Sometimes lines at LHR can be long, know exactly where you need to go for your VAT refund by checking the terminal maps for LHR online. Hopefully if you post which terminal(s) you are going to at LHR some fodorites could let you know where you need to go for your VAT refund.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM

OK, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but want to raise an issue that will hopefully help the OP: why not in BOTH?

The VATs are collected by the taxing agencies of each country, they are not EU-wide and are not uniform. Therefore, I'm thinking the OP needs to get VAT refund on French purchases in CDG and a VAT refund on UK purchases in LHR. If I'm wrong, fine, but can someone clarify?

The likelihood is the OP is leaving from LHR T3 or T5 and I think each has a VAT refund office.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 09:25 PM

First: understand that this refund to tourist stuff is a concession and taxpayers aren't prepared to fund the processing costs for unusual needs. Not is every single Customs agent fully trained, nor are there service points everywhere a departing tourist might want them. Given the general pressures at airports, don't necessarily assume what'll happen is exactly what's supposed to happen.

The general rule is that you file ALL your claims at the airport where you leave the EU. BUT, in the case of a same-day transit at a second EU airport, you're supposed to file docs related to hold-checked bags at the first airport (presumably in your case CDG) and for goods in your hand baggage at the final departure airport (in your case LHR).

Where you bought the goods is irrelevant.

The assumption behind this rule is that your bags are through-checked: if you're collecting and re-checking bags at LHR, the whole process must happen there.

Assuming you're through-checked, though, it's worth trying to get all the docs accepted at CDG. The douanier MIGHT just ask to see your boarding card to the US and accept docs for anything in your handbaggage.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 03:29 AM

I buy shoes when I go to Paris, and they are not cheap. The shoe shop fills out all the paperwork, and the VAT office at CDG very helpfully does what flanneruk describes, though technically they are supposed to see the goods, not let you through with them in your checked bags. But this is a really good time to forget any French you may know.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM

Tried to claim the VAT once. I believe it was Amsterdam. tucked away in no man's land, very hard to find, signage poor and return negligible. Unless you're spending thousands of dollars I'm not sure it's worth it. There was a commission which surprised me, so the amount I was to receive was very small. I would not do it again. jk
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorry but I'm still not clear. CDG or LHX? The answers seems to go both ways. I spent a substantial amount so it's worth the effort to process the refund.

At CDG I'm leaving from Terminal E. LHX departing from T1. Only have 1.5 hours in LHX.

I guess the best is to get the documents stamped at CDG? Thx!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM

I agree unless you have thousands of dollars in mdse. It's not worth the bother!
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM

I would use CDG. I do it every trip....not substantial refunds but worth 20 minutes standing in line.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:24 PM

"The answers seems to go both ways."

They don't. Or rather only the uninformed ones do

What part of "The general rule is that you file ALL your claims at the airport where you leave the EU. BUT, in the case of a same-day transit at a second EU airport, you're supposed to file docs related to hold-checked bags at the first airport (presumably in your case CDG) and for goods in your hand baggage at the final departure airport (in your case LHR). "

...do you not understand