Where to go next fall for a week?

Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go next fall for a week?

I am looking for ideas on where to go next fall, sometime from mid-Sept to early November. We only have a week to take. We just got back from our first empty nest trip to Barcelona and we absoultely loved it. Looking for another great idea for next year.

We want to go somewhere we've never been. We've been to Italy (3 biggies, Positano, Orvieto), Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Munich, and Innsbrook & Salsburg. Of these places my favorites are probably Rome (I pretty much loved anywhere in Italy) and Barcelona.

Some thoughts are Portugal (Lisbon and ?), Andalucia (Seville/Cordoba/Granada, if a week is enough), easterm Europe (perhaps Prague and Budapest). We like cities, like exploring neighborhoods, going to museums, tasting new and different food and don't mind renting a car if it makes sense.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I just want to add that we would be flying from NYC and prefer non-stops, but if none exist, or if its a good deal, we can handle a stop. We just flew round trip to Barcelona from JFK, with a stopover in Madrid for $286! I hit the jackpot back in March, Iberia had a great sale for a few days, and I just happened upon it.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I've found great sales on Iberia as well, and if you decide on Spain, I found open jaw, connecting flights convenient and inexpensive (try into Malaga and out of Jerez or Sevilla, for example. Lots of potential combos)
I think a week in Andalucia is enough time if you are willing to strictly prioritize (for example, on my first visit to the region I skipped Granada because I wanted to go to Ronda.) It also depends on if a week is 7 days including travel time or not.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

We would leave on a friday night, arrive Saturday and leave the following Saturday, so it would be 7 nts.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Seville 3 nights, Granada 2 nights, that leaves 2 nights for Madrid.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 08:14 AM

non stop Newark to Lisbon and one week in one of the best walking cities. i wouldn't be able to wait till next fall!
my motto is kept it simple, less traveling around is better!

tico
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Not interested in Madrid. We've been there and want to try something different. In general we don't want to revisit a place we've been (which are mentioned in the original post) We just spent a week in Barcelona and LOVED it.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi MFNYC,

I like tico's idea of lisbon, even though I've nver been there. I was supposed to go there over 30 years ago, but they had a revolution the day we were due to arrive so we didn't.

it looks like a great place for a week's stay, a lovely climate, good food and lots to see. otherwise andalucia or sicily would be good choices.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Portugal is wonderful, I think that you would only need 2 nights in Lisbon and then perhaps rent a car and drive north. Depending on how much you want to pack into the trip the Douro Valley (wine/port region) is wonderful, one of the most spectacular wine regions I have ever experienced (and I live 45 minutes from Napa Valley). Plus, during your time period they should be in harvest and many crush grapes the old fashioned way.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Lisbon definitely! Everyone that goes there is enchanted & me too.

As you may have realised during your travels North and South can offer very different sceneries!

This is very true of Portugal. If you decide to head South you will be travelling to the Alentejo and Algarve regions. Here flat plains, Roman & Moorish influence + scenic beaches and sea views dominate. The wine and food are superb.

Makes sense to rent a car as you’ll be able to see more.
What you see depends on what you like and how far you want to be from other tourists.

But stopping points might include Evora & Reguengos de Monsaraz, Beja then down to the Algarve.
You should pass by Faro which could be done by heading to Mertola and Vila Real Santo António.

Stopping by Olhão (for quick visit to Olhão’s market’s) & Faro & then heading west via Loulé, Silves, Monchique, Portimão (visit Praia da Rocha).

You can ‘round trip it’ by going via Lagos, Sagres and then back up North via Aljezur towards Setubal and then Lisbon. You might visit Zambujeira do Mar, Vila Nova de Mil Fontes, Porto Covo, Cabo de Espichel & Cascais.

As you only have 7 nights you’ll need to choose where to stop. You do have time to plan a great trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Portugal is almost unanimous here. I think that's what I'll focus on unless I find a great airfare somewhere else.

How many days is enough for Lisbon?