Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain Itinerary Help Please (Barcelona - Seville / Malaga - Madrid)

Apr 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Friends,

My very first time on a travel forum or for that matter any forum so please do bear with me for any forum protocol goof ups.

My wife and me – a couple in our mid thirties are planning on visiting Spain for about 8 days.

We will be flying in to Barcelona on 11th April and out from Madrid on 19th April. In addition we ideally wanted to cover the Alhambra and Seville as well if possible.

We were thinking of doing the following itinerary and seek your opinions and advice. And to add to that we have like a 100 questions.

1. Thursday 11 April 2013 @ 13.15 - Arrive in Barcelona
2. Saturday 13 April 2013 - Proceed to either Seville or Malaga – Either by the AVE or flight
3. Monday 15 April 2013 – Proceed to either Seville or Malaga (Depending on earlier point) – By train
4. Wednesday 17 April 2013 – Proceed to Madrid from either Seville or Malaga (Depending on earlier point) – By the AVE
5. Friday 19 April 2013 – Depart from Madrid

Things we intend to cover in each location br /> Barcelona : Probably a hop on – hop off to see a few sites. Camp Nou tour. Maybe a Tapas walking tour.
Malaga (Granada) – We chose Malaga as the AVE goes there. We intend to see the Alhambra here.
Seville – Nothing specific planned here. Am guessing the Fair shall give us lots to see and do. Maybe a Flaminco show and a Bull fight if possible.
Madrid – Again nothing specific planned here. Maybe a few interesting sites around the city etc.

1. Is the above itinerary doable ? Or would it get really hectic ? Any alternative suggestions ?

2. Between Seville and Alhambra if we need to skip one – Which one ?

3. Is the AVE between Barcelona and Seville / Malaga scenic or would a flight be better.

4. What is the best mode of transport between Seville and Alhambra ? And which one is more convenient to do if we doing both ?

5. Any other suggestions / recommendations / etc etc are most welcome.

Thanks a ton
Apr 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM

The Alhambra is in Granada. Fly to Granada from Barcelona. Sleep in Granada

Bus/train/car to Sevilla. 2-3 nights Sevilla

Then AVE train to Madrid.

You don't have time for Malaga IMO.
Apr 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM

If you only have 8 days it will be just enough to visit Barcelona and Madrid. I wouldn't attempt to add in Andalucia to visit Granada ans Sevilla - that would be 4 overnight locations in 8 nights, a pace more hectic then even package tours. It doesn't factor in the travel time and check in/out time between each locatiion. What you want to do is really a 2 week trip - 4 nights each in Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla and 2 nights in Malaga/Granada.
Apr 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM

<>

The above itinerary is doable because the arrangements can be made to do it.

It is completely daft.

Are you really doing this later this week? And you are just now asking these questions and have no idea what to see?

You will miss everything Barcelona has to offer by confining yourself to a hop on/hop off whilst spending 1/2 day to visit the Camp Nou. Why do you want to go to Barcelona at all if it's just to visit a stadium? I'm a huge sports fan, have been a fan of the greatest franchise in North American sports for > 30 years and would not go out of my way to visit any stadium of any team.

Do 5 nights in Barcelona and 2-3 nights in Seville and fly home with a connecting flight. The Alhambra is not convenient to reach from Seville or Malaga. And AVE rides aren't necessarily scenic - it's not easy to follow the landscape with your eye when traveling at 225kph.
Apr 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Barcelona for some three days, then perhaps fly to Sevilla for some three days and take the AVE back to Madrid for the last couple of days. Perfectly doable and could be a hectic intro to the fascinating diversity of Spain that makes you want to come back for more.

Feria de Abril in wonderful Sevilla could be great fun, local food, wine, party and culture 24/7: http://www.exploreseville.com/events/feriadeabril.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leo854u5bvQ

Experience great flamenco at intimate Casa de la Memória in Sevilla. Popular with tourists but only great artists perform here. Could be a great intro to this art so important for Sevilla and Andalucía. Note that they have recently moved to Calle Cuna, 6 in the center of town.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Andalucia.html
Apr 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM

There are overnight trains too between Barcelona and Malaga or Seville I believe - save the cost of a hotel and day time travel time - the scenery ain't so gtreat - in fact rather boring IMO most of the way so you miss little there.

For lots on Spanish trains check out these IMO superb sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. You may want to look into the Spain Railpass too since you are taking long train trips, especially if you want flexibility to chose which trains to take once there not book some hard to or impossible to change ticket weeks in advance.
Apr 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Well I'll have to say - you are really close to being the anti-planner! Do you have hotels in any of these places? IMO the Alcazar in Seville is very similar to the Alhambra, so you could skip Granada / Malaga as I think you really don't want to do 4 places in 8 days. Maybe arrive into Barcelona, overnight train to Seville. If you cannot find a place to stay in Seville, check out Cordoba where the Mezquita is and a MUST SEE IMO. Then finish up in Madrid - easy to get to Madrid from Seville or Cordoba by the fast train.
Apr 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM

IMO the Alcazar in Seville is very similar to the Alhambra, so you could skip Granada /

not to me - the Alhambra in Granada to me was much more impressive than the relly impressive Alcazar in Seville - and Granada has other attractions as befits an ancient city - its cathedral is a marvel as well.
Apr 9th, 2013, 11:52 AM

4. What is the best mode of transport between Seville and Alhambra ? And which one is more convenient to do if we doing both ?>

Buses may be the best way between Seville and Granada - trains run a round-about way.

If I had to chose between Seville and Granada I would certainly chose Seville as a city hands down.
Apr 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM

3. Is the AVE between Barcelona and Seville / Malaga scenic or would a flight be better.>

Not really scenic IME - scrub land and AVE's high-speed rail lines pretty much avoid cities except Madrid where you must change trains - the direct overnight train I mention above could be good solution if you can't find a decent air fare - and on train at night you also save a night's cost in a hotel. www.renfe.com - Spanish Railways site has some special fares for booking far in advance.
Apr 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM

I have to agree that the Alcazar is very similar to the Alhambra. Of course, it does not have those wonderful gardens but then again, the Alhambra doesn't have that monster cathedral nearby, either.

I would fly from Barcelona to wherever unless it is Madrid. I wouldn't try to do both Seville and Granada in this short period of time but to each their own.
Apr 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM

3 nights in Seville, 2 in Granada, 3 in madrid. that is my suggestion for a good trip.
Apr 10th, 2013, 08:48 AM

The problem is it appears (or I'd expect given the timing) the flights are already booked - flying into Barcelona and returning home from Madrid.
Apr 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the nod of agreement Dukey re: Alhambra / Alcazar - plus I think the Alcazar is easier to visit logistic wise. Yes there are huge gardens at the Alhambra but there are also some lovely gardens in Cordoba not far from the Mezquita.

I will have to say some of my let-down with the Alhambra was probably due to my visit to the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul the year before. WOW! WOW! WOW! I am wondering why there was so much amazing tile work there and not nearly so much in the Alhamba.

So my suggestion for your trip is barcelona, overnight train to Seville, be sure to do day-trip to Cordoba (or stay there) and then finish in Madrid. But I guess the OP must be packing by now! I just am wondering if he is doing all this with no reservations?!
Apr 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM

d. But I guess the OP must be packing by now! I just am wondering if he is doing all this with no reservations?!>

Sans reservations then by all means by the Spain Railpass which allows you to chose trains as you go along - meaning probably at full fare since discounted tickets are I think sold in limited numbers and sell out far in advance of the train often.