Where to go before Zurich meeting

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to be in Zurich for a business meeting would like to spend a long weekend somewhere relatively easy to get to Zurich from?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM

Lucerne is a beautiful city, an hour's train ride from Zurich. There is hiking in the surrounding mountains and boatrides on the lake.

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM

I second Lucerne. It's a beautiful, walkable city with great history.

You might consider a boat ride on the lake to one of the nearby towns where you can have a delightful lunch.

I think it's a great choice, and the terrific Swiss railroad system will whisk you to Zurich in comfort and on time!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM

Hi Iross,

Yes, Luzern is the best choice for a quick break near Zürich. Here are some websites for more information:

www.luzern.org
www.rigi.ch
www.titlis.ch
www.pilatus.ch
www.engelberg.ch

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

Another vote for Lucerne
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to Luzern but make sure to head out into the mountains and lakes while there to really get a flavor for Switzerland apart from city life.

The weather has been lousy but it looks like the sun will be shining this week.

Have fun!

gruezi
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

Sorry to be redundant, but Lucerne is a great spot for a weekend.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM

I like the Luzern idea as well. It is easy to reach by train from Zürich, either the main station or the airport station.

In addition, the Rhine Falls in/near Schaffhausen were to me worth the effort to get there. They are not the grandest of all waterfalls, but they were to me sufficiently spectacular to be a very rewarding travel objective.

The volume of water in the late spring is usually high and the sight of such a large river flowing over such large rapids is fascinating. (At least in my view.) We spent several hours there looking at the falls and photographing them from various angles.

Another pleasant activity would be to rent a car and drive toward Bern, but detour south into the Emmental.
This is a scenic, bucolic part of Switzerland full of charming small towns and villages. It is not the mountains per se, but it is pleasant. If you look at map you can pick the route over to Sarnen and descend to the town from above the lake, which is pretty.

Then you could loop through Luzern back to Zürich, or you could stop in Luzern and return your rental car there and spend a night or two.

(I found the transportation museum to be very interesting, and it is suitable for children of all ages, even guys of 70 like I was the last time I was there.)

I think it depends how long you have to spend and whether or not you want to drive. My wife does most of the driving for us and she finds Switzerland relatively easy to drive in. Of course, she does not flinch one bit on high mountain passes or on narrow mountain roads.

The nation itself is not all that big. You could actually make quite a driving tour via the autobahn to Bern and then on to Interlaken where you could drive as far as Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald to find parking. From there you could take various means of mountain transportation higher into the hills.

I think it depends just how long a long weekend is. If you have 2 full days and part of a third for travel, I think no visit to Switzerland is complete without a visit to the Berner Oberland. Lauterbrunnen and/or Grindelwald would put you in prime mountain viewing position with quite a few options for higher excursions.

If you decide that is what you would like to do, quite a few of us can elaborate on the various options that are available for highly scenic viewing.

At any rate, I fully endorse your plans to see something besides the streets and buildings of Zürich.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM

What time of year is your trip and what are your intestes? Do you want to hike, bike, boat, or do you want to go to a museum? Also, not that I don't love Switzerland, but places like Rome are a very short flight away and very easy to go to for a weekedn as well, you may even be able to fly there on the first leg of your international flight, spend the weekend, then fly to Zurich. You hav a lot of possiblities.

Time of year is an issue too, I woul dnot go to the mountains in late Octover, too foggy, but in June, there is no way I would go to quite pedestrian Lucerne and look up at the mountains when you could spend the entire weekend IN them. In the fall, I would think about going the the Lake Geneva area for wine harvest festivals. Lots of options.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM

do you like thermal waters? a few years ago, i went to baden, switzerland to soak in their waters and was pleasantly surprised. i think that it was a 40 minute train ride out of zurich. (maybe less) it is a small town, some of it charming, some not. there is a lovely walk along the river and park. the thermal waters are absolutely magic. the hotel where i stayed, Verenahof, was very charming and had direct access to the big thermal pool, as well as baths below. i believe they have since closed for renovation (i.e. tear down and build a big modern complex... guests who had been coming for decades were making their last visit) and i don't know what the result is or whether the work has finished. another hotel (there are 4 of them clustered together) had a very fancy spa, nova spa, that was quite nice to soak in. This would be a very restful place to spend a couple of days before a meeting. though the water may leave you unable to think on your feet!!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Zurich September 6 and 7th. I have been to Jungfrau and Mt. Pilatus and took a boat ride on Lake Lucerne as part of the tour. I would love to spend time walking around small towns and shops. I have read posts about Stein-am-Rhein? or the Rhine Falls? I arrive in Zurich on Saturday morning and have to be back in Zurich Sunday night?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM

As I posted on your other thread on visiting Austria:

Author: bettyk
Date: 08/04/2008, 04:21 pm

Well, if you have already been to Stein am Rhein or to Konstanz, then I would suggest Bregenz in Austria.

But if you have NOT been to Stein am Rhein, then I feel it is a must see for anybody in that area.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks..that is what I will do then..
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Any recommendations as to where to stay and whether I should rent a car or take the train?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM

We had a car, but much depends on what you are comfortable with.

We stayed at the Rheingerbe Hotel. It's right on the river. Nice rooms, lovely restaurant. We paid about 85 Euro I think for a nice double overlooking the river and promenade.

http://www.rheingerbe.ch/

Another nice hotel in Stein am Rhein is the Hotel Rheinfels. We tried them first but they were full for our dates. We were quite happy with the Rheingerbe though.

http://www.rheinfels.ch/xml_1/internet/en/intro.cfm

http://www.stein-am-rhein.ch/xml_1/I...ation/f107.cfm
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Here's another website in English about the Rheingerbe Hotel.

http://www.tiscover.ch/ch/guide/5ch,...,at1/home.html
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM

We like the Hotel Wilden Mann in Lucerne.

Try:

http://www.wilden-mann.ch/englisch/b...e/bankette.htm
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Many here have suggested Lucerne. I agree, it is great, and quite close to Zurich by train/auto. We've been to this area twice. Stayed once actually in Lucerne at the Wilden Mann Hotel; it was a good experience. But, the second time we stay just outside Lucerne in Kussnacht am Rigi, at the Hotel DuLac, right on the lake. It was superb, in a beautiful small-town setting, and more reasonable that Lucerne hotels. Kussnacht also provides convenient train service to Lucerne, and of course for a return to Zurich.