Zurich October 6-8 ideas?

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich October 6-8 ideas?

Hello,
I am going with my husband on a long weekend to Zurich arriving October 6th in the morning and leaving October 9th. It is a quick trip, but I get free airfare through frequent flier miles. So my question is what is there to do in Zurich, should we try to take one night in Lucern, what other good destinations are there that are close by and should we rent a car or try to use train?
Thanks...I just found out about this and I am so excited. We've never been to Switzerland.
-Em
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM

You have such a short visit, I don't think it's smart to travel elsewhere. Zurich is a good city and there's bags of things to visit.

I like Lucern better but I wouldn't get onto a train and spend a evening instead as looking around in Zurich.

Think about Zurich. You can have good food, mountain views, large lakes with boats to rent, very interesting sites in the city, a great trolley car system, and many more. If you want something special, you have a better chance finding it in Zurich instead of Lucern.

Have a good trip. We all think there's a better city/site instead of where you're visiting. In another way of saying this: "Zurich has grass as green as Lucern".

Blackduff
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Cicerone has provide a cornucopia of ideas and suggestions.

http://tinyurl.com/gfxfd

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Blackduff. Lucerne is only an hour or so by train. I had about the same amount of time in Zurich that you will and spent a morning in Lucerne and I'm very glad I did. You can walk the lakefront with the snowcovered mountains just beyond them, see the lovely Jesuit Church, feed the swans, have a coffee. There's a great street market in Lucerne on Saturday mornings. Lucerne is very different from Zurich and so close, it would be a shame not to go.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Cimbrone
Here's what I said:If you want something special, you have a better chance finding it in Zurich instead of Lucern.

emasaly is a woman. She's going to look at the women's clothes and Lucern is a big difference to Zurich. It's the same about jewelry, Zurich is rich in choices. Certainly Lucern has lots of jewelers but triple or quadruple the stores in Zurich.

What you mentioned about the lake, the cafes, the swans, etc. is also in Zurich. The view from Zurich is a bit different but there's lots of mountain views. It's just different mountains.

I lived in 1978 in Lucern for awhile and I kept an office in Lucerne until 2000. I know this city pretty well and I visited a lot of times to Zurich. Like I mentioned in my first post, I like Lucern best.

But, to spend three or four hours to ride the train to visit Lucern, when you haven't visited the city where your staying at night is silly.

Cimbrone, I'm not trying to say you're wrong but if the person hasn't already seen her city, it's to wrong to leave Zurich without know the jewels of this city.

Okay, I'm off my rant!

Blackduff
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"to spend three or four hours to ride the train to visit Lucern,"

A one-way train ride to Lucerne from Zürich takes 50-60 min.

"emasaly is a woman. She's going to look at the women's clothes and Lucern is a big difference to Zurich. It's the same about jewelry, Zurich is rich in choices. Certainly Lucern has lots of jewelers but triple or quadruple the stores in Zurich. "

Wow! Talking about stereotyping. I'm a woman and have never bought jewelry and rarely buy clothes when travelling. My husband usually ends up buying more clothes than I do.

emasaly,
Both Zürich and Lucerne are beautiful and you'll just have to decide yourself. On a rainy day, I'd stick to shopping in Zürich because you won't see much scenery.

On a sunny day, you might want to visit Lucerne, take the ferry to Vitznau and visit Mt. Rigi.
Other ideas: Pilatus, Engelberg, Ferry to Fluelen and take the train back to Zürich.

You can also visit Rapperswil by ferry or train from Zürich. A quaint town on the lake of Zürich.

If all you get is rain during your stay, check out the weather forecast in Lugano, where the weather is usually the exact opposite of Zürich. Then take a day trip by train to soak up the sunshine and visit a beautiful town.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:22 AM

Schuler
I keep repeating:
If you want something special, you have a better chance finding it in Zurich instead of Lucern.

Is this wrong? I'm not saying Lucern is bad but why not go to Bern or Lindau or many other cities nearby. The poster is in Zurich for three days. Why not make the best of this city.

I've tried to find this statement from the Frommer's site. It's about the shopping in Zurich and why it's called the best shopping except maybe Paris. But, Zurich is still a great place for shopping.

We all look for different things where we're travelling. Maybe the poster is looking for museums. The Zurich has a better selection. Same for galleries.

I agree that the train is only 50/60 minutes but that's riding time. How much time is needed to find the ticket place; how much time takes extra to find the right line. It would take me at least 30 minutes associated with this riding time. That would give you an extra hour tour/retour. So, is this so far off-three hours?

Nobody so far on this thread nobody showed all of the good points in Zurich. Is there a bad disease in Zurich? Maybe changing the hotel several times in three days isn't fun, in my opinion.

Blackduff
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:42 AM

Mea culpa
Sarvowinner posted one of Cimbrone's posts. This is perfect for what is available in Zurich. Plus, the restaurants are noted too.

What a jewel!

Blackduff
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Blackduff,

You're quite right. We don't know the poster is looking for.

Why not Bern? I like Bern but I think Lucerne is more scenic because of the Vierwaldstättersee, Rigi and Pilatus. The wooden bridges and the old town are also very nice.

Why not Lindau? The fastest train connection is 1.47 min. one way.

Sarvowinner has kindly referenced Cicerone's thread about Zürich. She truly does offer the most wonderful advice concerning Zürich.

Change hotels? You're right. That would be a shame with so many things at Zürich's doorsteps.

For more info on Zürich, there's a website from the tourist board. http://www.zuerich.com/index.html

emasaly: There's so much to see in Switzerland that even the locals don't agree on what's the best. Enjoy the pleasure of deciding while drinking a cafe Zwetchgen and eating a piece of Kirsch cake. Or just stick to one of the scrumptious bakery items without alcohol.

Enjoy Switzerland!

Blackduff: We might not always agree but your advice is certainly very good. Ich wünsche Dir einen schönen Tag.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I would agree with those who say to go to Lucerne, but if so, I would urge you to take a boat ride on the lake, after spending some time in the city. I thought it was spectacular and so much more dramatic than anything you will see in Zurich, as far as I know.

Plus, it may be a good idea to experience the vaunted train system of Switzerland. What a pleasant experience to ride the train there.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM

"She's going to look at clothes...the same about jewelry."

Gosh, Blackduff! I think you've been watching too many Audrey Hepburn movies!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Cimbrome
Count the number of women's clothes in Zurich and then compare how many men's clothing shops. Then tell you if I'm right or wrong. (LOL)

How many cross-dressers in Zurich to offer such a selection of dresses.

Blackduff

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Blackduff--I think your logic is faulty. Zurich is also full of cuckoo clocks and cow mugs, but I'm not interested in either one. Lots of women don't travel in order to shop. emasaly may be one of them.

I wonder what's become of OP anyway...No doubt at Tiffany's
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Cimbrone
Certainly what you've said is correct. But, there's another thought. Who bought those cuckoo clocks or cow mugs. Someone has been buying the clocks. I'm sure a bunch of guys brought them home but how about the others. Who, other than women.

Despite what you say, the tourists buy lots. In Lucern the Bucherer jewelry shop has bus loads arriving each hour. Certainly some are men but a lot of the others are Women. So, I don't agree about women don't buy when they travel.

In Italy, the cameo factory near Pompei has bus full tourists each half-hour. The tourists go in one door, check out how they're made and they are sent to the sales shop. Bang, tourists buy everything.

Why wouldn't women buy in Zurich?

The biggest sector in Switzerland is tourism. It's bigger than all of the others together. This is because the tourists buy. Cuckoo clocks, cow mugs and certain high market clothes. That's why the locals don't have a Federal tax (other than the military tax).

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I was pleased to read your previous posts about Zurich. Some of it I knew and a lot of the other didn't. Thanks for a good report.

Blackduff
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I think you're confusing me with Cicerone, our resident Zurich expert. It was her report that was linked above.

However, I was in Zurich last March and enjoyed it very much.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Cimbrone
Of course you're correct. I went back this thread and I certain made this mistake. Sorry! Although, I did call you a good name.

I'm getting too old.

Blackduff
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Woh, back to the original post. Can I please put my two cents worth in for the Cicerone's post? What an informative person. I'll be there on the 17th Oct for 3 days, can't wait to see and do all of Cicerones suggestions.

Ps. will we 'see' snow covered mountains in Oct? Having trouble finding 'good' weather advice. I gather it may well be wet, but how cold and will we see snow on top of mountains, or is it too early?
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM

The highest mountains visible from Zrich are always snow-covered, no matter what season. Since August every time it rained in the city the visible mountains were snow-covered in their entirety. Unless we get an especially warm and sunny october you will see your fill of snow
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM

When I was in Zurich, it was very gray, and no mountains were visible from the city.

In Lucerne, on the other hand, snow-covered peaks loomed everywhere.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Thanks. We will be getting a train from Zurich to Frauenfeld for one night then a train to Singen. Picking up a hire car and driving to Hanover. So I guess we will see some lovely views along the way. I am madly awaiting my Great German Drive book to arrive. Can't buy in Aus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information