Zurich or elsewhere?

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich or elsewhere?

We are traveling by train from Mainz Germany to Lake Como,Italy via Milan, and would like to stay overnight in Switzerland on the way thru. It seems like Zurich is an easy stop on the way. Is there a better stop without going to far off the beaten path? Either way, any suggestions on where to stay and what to see? My husband and i are celebrating our 10 wedding anniversary and hate to miss out on Switzerland but are sort of pressed for time, hence the reason its only an 1/2 day and overnight stop. Would love to have some ideas!
Many thanks in advance!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:03 AM
jmw

Hi, I like Zurich more each time I fly in and out, but my first impression of Switzerland was Lucerne and it enchanted me. If the train connections make it possible, I think you'd find an afternoon and evening in Lucerne (with a lake view if you can manage it) memorable. J. (p.s. and the train ride from there to Milan via Lugano is spectacular.)

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:50 PM

Zurich is a super town, great for walking. the old town section has excellent restaurants. my wife and i stay at the Bar au Lac, which we think is the best hotel in europe, great beds, service and location. you can find it at LHW.COM. really great living in zurich!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Intrepid

I agree that if you are willing to spring for a room at the Baur au Lac in Zurich then you'll think the city is quite something. Zurich is, to some, rather "severe" in terms of architecture...somewhat "germanic" I suppose but still a very interesting and walkable city. Lucerne might be more to your taste..a little more "picturesque" in some ways and an easy train connection from Zurich. Since you do not mention any particular interests I would say these two cities are as good as any...not quite the same in terms of "quaintness" as smaller places such as St. Gallen, Appenzell, or Interlaken and many others that might seem a bit more "Swiss" but regardless..enjoy your stopover.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:36 PM

Zurich is a nice city, but more of a business/financial center. I stayed at the Wellenberg Hotel which is a smaller and more intimate hotel very close to the train and walking distance to everything. Lucerne would be the more scenic place to spend some time. It's a beautiful and romantic city. I didn't stay there so don't know of any hotels, but it's easy to get to from Zurich.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:46 PM

Zurich is a wonderful city. We always stay at the Glockenhof Hotel (a Best Western) which is just one block away from the Bahnhofstrasse (the big long shopping/strolling street with trams running down the middle.
I have to agree that Lucerne might be a more Swiss "feeling" place than Zurich is. Lucerne is gorgeous on a sunny day when you can walk along the lakefront and stroll thru the shopping area. We've stayed at the Grand National which is right on the lake, but higher priced than most...but a real treat!!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:23 PM

We just came back from Switzerland and loved it, EXCEPT for Zurich.The train station overwhelms you and the older center is really nothing special in my opinion. Lucerne is fantastic though, and would highly recommend it! good luck,
Fred
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:25 PM

Hi all,
It's good to have an answer as Fred249's.
There is off course the vicinity of the lake and all the luxury shops on the Bahnhofstrasse.

Which way does your train go? Through Ticino? Why not get out in Lugano and stay for a day? Locarno is close also. Very impressive south-of-the-Alps scenery.
Going from Zurich via Lucerne to Brig would bring you in the Wallis-kanton where you could stay a day in Brig and have a walk in the mountaîns or a wonderful trainexcursion in the mountains. Brig is an important railway knot through which pass all trains from the middle and western part of Switzerland on their way to Milan.

Zurich may seem an evident stop, but there are more typically Swiss things to do than celebrate a 10th wedding anniversary in a small scale metropole...
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 02:01 PM

Although Zurich has quite a lot of things to offer, I would not recommend it as a stop-over palce. Also, you don't necessarily need to go thourgh Zurich on your way from Mainz to Milan. Lucerne is proably the most obvious alternative. Lugano (in Ticino, the Italian part of Switzerland) is a lovely town as well, but as you'll be staying in Italy later on, you might prefer Lucerne as it makes your trip somewhat more diverse. Check your timetables at www.rail.ch or www.bahn.de . Both will give you international connections. Enjoy your trip!