Search

Where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to eat?

Are there good restaurants outside of Florence near Firenze/Chianti area? We are staying at the Villa Il Poggiale and I believe the nearest town is called San Casciano. Has anyone stayed here before and can recommend some good places to eat?

The villa told us there is a SITA bus that leaves from town but only runs until 9:00 pm. We will take this to get into Florence for the museums. We really don't want to have to drive into Florence but only to drop off our rental car.

Will it be a hassle to go into Florence for dinner? I'm guessing there are some great restaurants there.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:57 AM
ira

Hi D,

>Will it be a hassle to go into Florence for dinner? I'm guessing there are some great restaurants there.<

You are correct about the restaurants.

Your problem is that the last bus leaves at 21:00.

Most restaurants on't open for dinner until about 19:30.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira,

So do you think its worth it to just stay in Florence instead or do you think we will find more than enough good places to eat elsewhere?
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi didi,

If yu have planned a motoring tour around Tuscany and villa, I wouldn't suggest you change it because of concerns about where to eat.

You will be in Italy.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:47 AM

There are great places to eat in just about any town in Italy, especially in this area of Tuscany.. You will not need to go into Florence for good dining. Here are three reportedly excellent places to eat nearby: La Tenda Rossa in Cerbaia; L"Antica Post and Nello, both in San Casciano. You need to reserve at the first two.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:49 AM

ps. I think your chances of getting a great meal are, if anything, better in the countryside outside Florence rather than in the city itself.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Ira - are you still a big fan of Ritrovo? We are planning to eat there this summer along with La Giostra.

Could you also recommend Paris restaurants(reasonably priced with ambience).

Have you ever considered publishing a travel book? Thousands of Fodorites would ensure its never-ending success.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I feel better now about our decision of staying in the countryside.

By the way, thank you for the restaurant suggestions. How far in advance do you need to make restaurant reservations? I am used the New York area and having to make them a month in advance at times.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM

No, thank goodness not like NYC. For La Tenda Rossa, which is expensive, by the way, and for L'Antica Post, try to make them when you arrive in Italy, a few days before you want to eat there. La Tenda Rossa is closed Monday lunch and in August; L'Antica Post is closed Tuesdays. You can have your hotel make the reservations from home if you want; I would do this if you are going in high season. And again, I am pretty sure that you will eat better or at least as well locally than you would in Florence.
My thought on Il Ritrovo is this, by the way: Ira has eaten one meal here a few years back. He was delighted with the place as were a few other Fodors posters who followed in his wake. But from all recent accounts, this place is very touristy and not any better than scores of other places in Florence that are a bit off-the-beaten Steves track. Just my own take, although you did not ask me.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM

ek- thanks for your comments. Where in Florence do you recommend, again for reasonable prices and ambience?

We are choosing La Giostra for one night because it is my daughter's 18th birthday, and from all that I understand, it can be something memorable.

As well, do you have recommendations for Paris (I note from your previous sites that you were there) and San Gimignano?

We are in Paris for 6 nights, and the restaurant that I loved previously in S.G. (Vecchie Murra) is apparently not open the night we are there (Tuesday).

Thanks again ( and didi, I hope you don't mind that I am asking for assistance on your thread).
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM

a further top up
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:08 AM

You can read my comments on places in Florence from last month if you click on my name. I I have never been to La Giostra; it is in many tourist guides and it seems to be a bit overblown from what I have heard. I try to stick to places that are focused on the regional cuisine of a place rather than places that attempt theatrics with their food. If you want a( expensive) place for a special occasion, what about Cibreo? Or even Taverna del Bronzino? Both of these are also in many guide books but also get their share of local people. I have not been to Cavolo Nero in a long time but that might be a good choice for you, too, at lower prices than the others. Maybe others can comment on their more recent experiences at any of these places.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM

ek - thanks again - I will look into Cavolo Nero.

anybody else?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Just to add a bit to what has been said: yes, the SITA bus service is not designed for bringing evening diners back from Florence - basically it takes people to and from school and work so, as pointed out above, the last bus back at night is early. So use SITA to go into Florence for the museums, and then eat dinner locally. Again, as described above, the Tuscan countryside is full of excellent restaurants and they usually cost less than those in Florence. Only a few require a reservation of any kind and then usually only on Saturday night. If you want to be sure, three days in advance is plenty. Don't hesitate to make arrangements with a local taxi if you won't have your own car - the cost is reasonable and you can arrange to be picked up and transported home. Your hotel or agriturismo will be able to recommend good places nearby. www.san-casciano.com might have useful info. There are several good restaurants on state highway 222 (the Chiantigiana) and many near Greve www.greve-in-chianti.com - I wouldn't recommend eating within San Casciano or Greve - find a country place.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! I forgot about a taxi which is a great idea if we get stuck on the way back.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM

ttt