Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Italy June 2010 Rome, Venice, Florence/Tuscany Revised...????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it feasible for a 12 day trip (plus 2 travel days) to visit Rome(4 days) ,train to Venice (3 days) and train to Florence to pick up rental car to travel to Tavanuzze/Impruneta area for an agriturismo rental (7 days)? This area would be close enough to Florence to do day trips, by either rental car or bus. We will be traveling with 4 adults and 2 small children.

On my earlier post, several people commented that Rome, Venice, Florence, and Tuscany would be too much for that time frame with small children. Since Florence is so close to Tuscany, perhaps those two can be combined.

Any thoughts?

Leslie
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
LJ

Florence is in Tuscany. Tuscany is a region, Florence, the city and one of many in Tuscany. You can stay in any of 500 villages in Tuscany and visit Florence in a day trip, if you want to do so. I think the point in the other thread, and certainly, speaking as a parent who has traveled in Italy with children, my point would be that moving small children from hotel to hotel is stressful for all concerned.

Certainly the agriturismo may be a decent compromise versus a hotel...my personal favourite is an apartment or villa, because you have a kitchen and separate rooms...its very hard to get children to sit still for the 3 hour meals that agriturismo's specialize in. Does yours welcome children explcitly?

So many decisions, aren't there?
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking about Florence as a separate entity, but you are certainly right, Florence is in Tuscany. In my mind
Tuscany means "countryside" and "farmhouse on a hill".

We will be looking for a self-catering rental and would probably do our nightly meals ourselves, with the noontime meal wherever we happen to be on that day. My thought in renting near a village closer to Florence would be the shorter drive/bus time from the rental to Florence, therefore a longer time to spend in Florence itself.

Leslie
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer southern Tuscany, but it wouldn't be as easy for your daytrips. You might try Le Torri which is close to Florence. I've had friends stay there a couple of times.
http://www.letorri.com/index.php?dis...hianti-tuscany

You'll find most rentals in the countryside are Saturday to Saturday.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would pick up the car when you're leaving Venice and drive directly to the agriturismo. This would be quicker and less complicated than taking the train to Florence, renting the car and getting out of Florence. Make sure you rent a car that's big enough for six people plus luggage.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

I had not thought of that option. How long a drive would that be? Getting a car large enough for 6 people will be plus luggage will be a job in itself, especially with the rental of child safety seats. Hopefully we will be packing light and washing clothes as we go. So many things to consider when traveling with small children!!
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Driving Venice to Impruneta would take about 3.5 hours and logistically involves at least one less step.

The fastest train from Venice to Florence would take 2 hours 40 minutes, and the drive from Florence to Impruneta would take at least 30 minutes.