Search

French Soap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Soap

Okay, a weird topic, but I just found a bar of soap left from when we went to the markets in Provence (what a dream trip).
It has Fabrique a L'Ancienne on one side and Veritable Savon de Marseille on the other. I googled and found it on an Australian website (at a very high price) but wondered if anyone knew where I can buy it on the internet or in a store in Northern England or Califonia?? I had got as many 200 gm bars as we could carry ((all fragrences) and loved the soap. Maybe I need to fly back to replenish...????????
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Have you looked into the possibility of getting some Pre de Provence soap? I know it isn't what you found BUT I can tell you from experience the stuff is great, especially the 250 gram bars....easily found on the internet from a variety of suppliers in the US...hard milled, lots of different fragrances, and the stuff lasts for weeks.

uncommonscents.com is just one of many outlets
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM

I think a lot of soaps say those things on them, so hard to say, but this US website has plenty of savon de marseille soaps:

http://www.frenchsoaps.com

I can't imagine that would make sense to ship to Australia, though.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Savon de Masrseille is a pretty basic item in branches of L'Occitane, which is now in Liverpool, Manchester, York and Chester. Also in a dozen or so upmarket malls in Califonia. http://uk.loccitane.com

I'm interested in how you're going to get to northern England without passing through London, where Heals and The Conran Shop also sell it

One UK website that sells it is www.frenchsoaps.co.uk. But Amazon sells it too.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM

PhilBill:
couldn't imagine what this thread was all about...now that I know, and that you mention California, l'occitane is one of my wife's favorite..they are all over the state, north, central, desert and south. Roz usually shops at the one in Glendale or Century City, and occasionally Beverly Center...

st
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:46 AM

This may have what you are seeking - http://www.thefrenchsoapstore.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
yk

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...ditionnalSoaps
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Try this site. It's my favorite - Fragonard. I stock up whenever I go to Paris. It's expensive but lasts a very long time. The one I buy is the green-colored soap - olive oil perfumed with lavender. Every time I pass the bathroom door I get a fragrance of Provence.

http://www.fragonard.com/parfums_gra...oils-c-145.htm
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I can't believe all of you wonderful people who responded within minutes! By the way I fly to Northern England via London very frequently, but don't usually go into London.
I will go on all the sites you have recommended and yes I believe that there is a L'Occitane store at South Coast Plaza.
Actually with the cost (which I haven't researched yet) I might be well advised to fly from Manchester to Toulouse and hop up to the Isle de la Sourge market next time I visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
L'Occitane has kiosks/stores in most larger airports in the US.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM

There is an actual brand which is called Savon de Marseille even though there are lots of "generic" savons de Marseille around; a French friend gave me a bottle of the liquid hand soap to bring back home with me in April. I found a place in USA (somewhere in New Eng.) that imports it and ordered 4 bottles. My computer with that bookmark is not working at the moment, but I found it by just googling Savon de Marseille. The orange blossom scent is especially lovely.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM

www.savondemarseille.com

I bought 4 bottles of the 500 cl liquid soap, and they charged me a total of $10 for the S/H. They were packaged in plastic bottles whereas my bottle from France is glass.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

I had bought the 100% vegetable oil soap as that was recommended. Has anyone any idea why this is cheaper than the olive oil soap?
Thanks to you all I have been going to web sites and so far have located some similar soap at thefrenchsoapstore but am also interested in the Pre de Provence soap at uncommonscents which has been mentioned.
L'Occitane is actually in the comparable price range (I was surprised). I couldn't locate the 100% veg. oil on grandmere's site. BTW My last precious bar is Muguet scented! Maybe I should get a life and just use Dove!!!!!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM

L'Occitane, I like their soaps and hand cream, is having 25% off friends and family sale June 11 - June 14

online code: FNF25

And isn't olive oil more expensive than vegetable oil?
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Go to a grocery store and compare the price of vegetable oil versus good olive oil, and you'll see. There is lots of cheap olive oil, of course, and vegetable oil varies by type, also (I think corn and peanut are cheapest), but olive oil is about 5 times as expensive as vegetable oil.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 05:50 PM

The only French soapmaker I know that has Le Véritable Savon de Marseille Fabrique a L'Ancienne is Savonnerie Le Sérail. In the U.S. you can find their products at www.leserail.com.