Sample Italy itinerary

Search

Sample Italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sample Italy itinerary

OK, so now I am on the Italy kick instead of England . . . I am so fickle! We may be off to Antartica next week!

How does this simple, bare bones itinerary look? I know the trip is far away, but I would appreciate any advice you have.

Day 1 Fly into Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Venice
Days 4-8 Tuscany

We will take several day trips while in Tuscany, including one to Florence for the entire day. We are VERY into wine, so we would like to spend most of our time in Tuscany tasting!

Days 9-15 Visiting and staying with relatives in Naples, doing day trips to Pompeii, Capri, Positano, etc.

Day 16 Fly home from Naples

I know Rome is not on our list, but my husband and I have been there (separately) and I really want to spend some time with my family as I hardly ever see them, so that is why we will be in Naples about half of the trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Topping this. Anyone have any advice? PLEASE!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:50 AM

I think you need at least one more day in Venice. But overall I'd say you have a lovely trip planned.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:59 AM
ira

Hi lab,

Looks fine.

>We will take several day trips while in Tuscany, including one to Florence..<

Not sure what you mean here. Are you planning on staying somewhere in Tuscany other than Florence, are you taking a motor trip?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Ira,

I meant that we will pick a base to stay in Tuscany and visit various places by car, one of which will be Florence, although we don't want to drive to Florence . . . we'd rather take a train. The alternative is driving from town to town and staying at various hotels. Based on several reports here I don't think we would be interested in staying in Florence in summer b/c of the crowds and heat. I'd rather deal with the crowds and heat in the countryside.

We will also need to get from Tuscany to Naples, and I am assuming we can take a train from Florence or some other place . . . how long of a train trip would that be?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi labs,

Do a text search here for "tuscany". There have been several threads describing motor trips and best places to base from.

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com/en.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:35 AM

sounds good to me!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Sounds great. I think you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We did this same trip, in reverse, just a few months ago and everything worked out beautifully! The only difference is that we had one more day in Venice and two less days with family.

We were undecided on train versus driving and finally decided on driving from the South to Tuscany. The drive was an easy one and took about 4 hours. And because of a train strike, we wound up driving from Tuscany to Venice as well and it worked out fine.

You could train from Venice to Florence or Venice to Siena depending on where you decide to stay. Just note that you usually have to change trains to get to either Siena, Chiusi or Orvieto. But the route is direct to Florence.

We love wine as well and decided to split our time between Chianti country (Castellina) and Brunello country (Montalcino). Both locations were great, one being in a hilltown and the other in the countryside. There are many vineyards for tasting and buying and terrific restaurants.

Your itinerary is a good one.