Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Austrian/Innsbruck souvenirs online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I visited Innsbruck Austria with some friends on a whirlwind roadtrip tour of Germany, Innsbruck, Bolzano, and Prague this past year and in the interest of saving money and suitcase space, did not buy a lot of souvenirs. In fact, we bought no souvenirs in Innsbruck at all, but in hindsight it was really one of our favorite stops. I am looking, with no luck so far, for a way to buy Innsbruck souvenirs online, preferably from a store based there and with international shipping (we live in the United States). At this point, I am willing to try almost anything, but unfortunately I understand zero German, so the site would need to be available in English as well.

Any suggestions for a site like this? Or online Austrian souvenir shopping of any kind? Innsbruck, or just general Austrian souvenirs, that would ship to the U.S., and in English? And if I am so lucky as to get any suggestions for a site like that, could you suggest some examples of souvenirs we should buy? I would like something either unique to the area, authentic, or something typically Austrian that is popular there. We did not spend much time there and I would love for us to go back. In case we never get to, I would like to get something for my husband to remember Innsbruck by other than the photos we took.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Typical Austrian souvenirs?

Decorative candles?
Wooden sculptures/ figurines?
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Our most tasteful Austrian souvenir is a carving of an edelweiss flower inside a piece of horn, about 2 inches across. Very discreet and tasteful, and weighs nothing, and hangs on a picture hook. Don't know if you can find these on the internet, we bought it from the fellow who carved it.

Our most tasteless are 3 or 4 CDs of Tyrolean folk music. Perfect accompaniment to a long drive, to strong beer (not at the same time as driving), and for embarrassing your children. Also ideal for background music to your holiday video when you bore all your friends. You can get suchlike on Amazon.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:41 AM

stfc, your post made me laugh. I have some similar CDs of Welsh men's choirs that send the younger family members heading for the hills!

lildrummer, my favorite Austrian "souvenirs" are anything by Geiger!!! Augarten china is beautiful but I don't think I've ever seem much here--you might try ebay. There's also the lovely enamelware jewelry--M. Frey, I think. I'll post again if I think of anything else.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Swarovski Crystal... and you don't even need to have it shipped as they have stores all over the US. You can even buy it at Macy's.