Quality Austrian Souvenirs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting several areas in Austria this weekend and am looking for ideas for quality souvenirs. While I know there will be high quality pastries all over the place, they don't work well for home decor 20 years down the road. We are looking for maybe one or two nice pieces that we can look at in years to come that say, "Austria" to us. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:13 AM
ira

Hi expat

Bavarian crystal, cut glass and china.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:33 AM

I know ira means well, but buying Bavarian crystal as an Austrian souvenir seems a bit strange. We have bought some beautiful porcelain (china) pieces in Austria, most of them right in Wien. Austrian porcelain dinnerware and associated pieces are wonderful reminders of the visit 20 years hence. As a matter of fact, we have on prominent display a beautiful matching set of teapot, cream pitcher, and sugar bowl, all on a matching porcelain tray, that reminds me of our trip every day. We bought those pieces in 1986.

There are quite a few shops in the pedestrian area of Vienna, and I don't remember the one we like best. But if you walk from the Stephansdom in a direction that will have your back to the cathedral's front door, you will come to a beautiful porcelain dealer about two blocks away. Good luck.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Swarovski crystal is made near Innsbruck; there is a factory and museum that can be visited there.

Loden coats are beautiful and classic Austrian apparel; very warm--and expensive.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:17 AM

The capitol of each provence in Austria has a shop called "heimatwerk". It contains specialties and crafts native to that area. I'm always happy with the quality of the stuff they have.

The Web site is in German, but I think you'll be able to use it to locate the addresses:

http://www.heimatwerk.at/oester/index.htm
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I will definitely check out the website and search for the shop close to Stephansdom.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:40 PM

If you want fine porcelain, there is a large Augarten showroom in Vienna - either on the Graben or on Kartner-strasse near the intersection with Graben.

The most famous traditional Austrian pottery is the green-and-white striped Grunegeflammte [sp?])which has been made in Gmunden for centuries. You can buy the Grunegeflammte pattern plus a number of more contemporary patterns at the Keramik Gmunden factory store in Gmunden, of course, but there are several Gmundenware shops in other Austrian cities. The one in Vienna is next to the Loos American Bar in the little alley off Kartnerstrasse. There is also a very large ceramics store called Pawlata just around the corner on Kartnerstrasse (I am pretty sure Pawlata is the one "near Stephansdom" to which a previous poster was referring). Pawlata sells a wide variety of pottery (Gmundenware is in basement). There is also a shop in Universitatplatz in Salzburg that sells Gmundenware.

If you're in Hallstatt, the Keramik Hallstatt showroom has an excellent selection of striking, original contemporary pottery, all hand-made.

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi Wayne,

Mark the Bavarian crystal down to "a senior moment".

It popped into my mind because I bought a gorgeous green-cut-to-clear Bavarian crystal bowl at a street market in Vienna for about $70, and that is one of my "Vienna souvenirs".
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:38 AM

How about a pair of liederhosen??

Seriously, though, Austria's flower is the Edelweiss - whenever I see it, it reminds me of my trip there. Perhaps you can find something with this interesting flower painted on it...