Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland-Should I bring the Febreze so I won't sneeze? Answers please....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:18 PM
Mina

So here's my dorky question of the day...<BR><BR>I'm going to Ireland. I know there's a lot of smoke in pubs, but since I want to partake in evening socializing, I'm going to suck it up. (So please no debate on smoking versus non-smoking rights...I'm not out to cause another debate here).<BR><BR>While I'm not used to the smoking (I live in California), what I find worse is the smell of "stale me" in the morning! It makes me dry heave. Since I'm planning on packing light, a lot of my clothes will be worn more than once (yes yes yes, gross, I know). Is Febreze REALLY worth it? I had never heard of it until I read about it on fodors. I checked out the website, and it sounds interesting. I was thinking of bringing a small bottle of it, but wondering if it's worth the hassle. Or have you found something that works better? I plan on washing my clothes where I can, but won't have the opportunity too often. Any experience with the stuff would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Please, save me from my stinky self. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:51 AM
dublin

If you want something like that why not buy it here?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Jen

Febreze is just the right thing for the situation you describe.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:54 AM
ddd

Why don't you spring for a bottle now and give it a test run?<BR><BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:37 AM
sam

Absolutely worth it. It's hard to find the travel size where I am, so I buy the big bottle and buy 2 small spray bottles. I use it and toss them as I go.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:45 AM
cd

You will be so glad your brought the Febreze! We did not and smelled like stale smoke for our entire trip. We had taken sweaters and wore them more then once. Yuk! We even tried opening our windows and hanging them in front overnight, it did not work we still smelled like stale smoke. Had a great time in the pubs though!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Summer

Febreeze is great. We have a dog and it is great at getting out pet odors. We use it in the car alot. Also, my mom has asthma, so I can understand using it to get rid of the smoke smell from your clothes.. Great idea.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Therese

Febreze (and similar products) works well. Spray your garments when you get home in the evening and the next AM they'll be fine. The product does have a light perfume itself, which persists for a bit (and those of us who use it recognize it). There are variations on the perfume now offered (possibly no perfume options as well, but then you'll have the original scent of the solvent).<BR><BR>These products are available in Europe, and it seems to be easier to find a very small bottle there.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:02 AM
justa

I always buy the huge ziplock bags and keep my clothes -exposed -to -smoke separated from the smoke free ones.I learned the hard way,amazing how even w/Febreze,there's a hint of smoke in my suitcase! <BR>The Jumbo bags,2 to 21/2 gallons are sometimes tricky to find,sometimes not in supermarkets but at Target,Walmart.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Mina

Thanks all for humoring me.<BR><BR>I did think of getting a bottle to test, but as I said, I live in California. I don't remember the last time I smelled like stale smoke here. Just doesn't happen. <BR><BR>I didn't know where it was available, or what similar products were (sorry, I'm just ignorant I suppose). I'll just buy a bottle here and dump it into a smaller travel bottle, if travel sizes aren't to be found.<BR><BR>Thank you all for answering my question...looks like it's well worth it!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Fresh

Hey Mina--- I found a small bottle of Febreeze just today in our grocery store (our town has a pop. of 1400) so if we have it, I bet most areas carry it. <BR>It is about 4-5 inches tall and cost less than $1.50. I'm so glad I had read this thread last week. Now I am all set for musty, smokey Europe!!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Mina

Hey Fresh, thanks for the update. I haven't started organizing for my trip yet...I'm fine when it comes to preplanning, but a huge procrastinator when it comes to getting my bootie in gear and buying stuff. Hopefully I won't forget the Febreze!<BR><BR>However I'm willing to bet that here in L.A. it will cost me $10. <BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Leslie

Mina, if you send me $10, I'll go out and get you 2 bottles of Febreeze and pay for the shipping. I should make a $5 profit. All kidding aside, you can find Febreeze in the supermarket in the detergent aisle, at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Osco, etc.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Mina

Leslie, I've seen some of your posts around here, and your above post confirms you're a savvy lady. The economy's tough, and I'm all for making money where you can! ;-)<BR><BR>Thanks for the tip!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Get a

Leslie needs to get a life,wasn't she supposed to be in Montreal or somewhere in Canada this weekend? She has gone full circle on Madridman and Fodor's travel boards about her supposedly solo trip to Spain since her friend ditched her(???)Beware now she's branching out tobe your personal shopper!Time to change your name Leslie!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Leslie

Mina, thanks for the kudos. If you get the Sunday newspaper, frequently there are cents off coupons for Febreeze (well, at least here in Massachusetts there are). There's also a new type of Woolite spray that is similar to Febreeze. I've just recently seen it in Walgreens. Downy makes one too, but it also has a wrinkle relaxer in it, which I've found to work well when I am in a rush to get to work.<BR><BR>Another trick is to also put an air refreshner in your suitcase -- one of those round ones that's about the size of a compact. Don't buy any of those with those sickly sweet smells, like vanilla -- try something clean like ocean breeze.<BR><BR>I know many people here use Ziploc bags, but I only use them for things that I need to have sealed, like socks, underwear, and health and beauty aids. Otherwise, I use the cheap plastic bags that my groceries come in, and you can accomplish the same thing as the Ziplocs by keeping your clothes sorted, and wrinkle-free.<BR><BR>Have a great time in Ireland.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Lesli

A fairly good solution for the stale smell in the suitcase problem is to pack a dryer fabric softener sheet inside your luggage. My suitcase has a mesh pocket in the lid, and I put one there. (Just leave it in between uses, and replace it from time to time.) Even without the cigarette smoke issue, you are carrying around dirty laundry at some point, no?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Leslie

Getalife, since you are following my itinerary so closely, you should read more carefully. I will be in Montreal over Labor Day weekend (August 30 - September 2), I will be in London over Thanksgiving weekend (November 27 - December 1), and I will be in Spain at the end of March (March 13 - March 30th). If you would like to see my e-ticket and hotel confirmations, please feel free to email me and I will send them to you. A friend hasn't ditched me, I planned each of these trips for myself.<BR> <BR>Getalife, since you seem so infatuated and curious regarding my travels, I am tentatively planning a trip to either NYC or Chicago for Columbus Day weekend in October, but I won't confirm that trip until mid-September when I see favorably accepted bids for hotels on the Bidding for Travel site. I am also taking my nephews to Disneyworld for 5 days at Christmas. <BR><BR>I have no intention of changing my name, it appears on my birth certificate, however, possibly you would like to drop your monicker and tell me who you are.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Mina

Get a life, I'm not in the habit of defending people on this board...I believe most people can speak for themselves just fine.<BR><BR>But I have to say, your post made me laugh. You ask someone to get a life, but you know quite a bit about some stranger/poster's life. Funny!<BR><BR>I have no idea where Leslie was supposed to be this weekend, but if she wants to be my personal shopper, that's fine by me. My life's such a freakin' wreck, I could use one!<BR><BR>Leslie, I've been reading the ziploc posts, so I agree it might work for me.<BR><BR>Lesli, that is a great idea! I'll definitely use that one. Sounds cheap and easy. And my dirty laundry would definitely be stenchy. Gracias to Leslie and Lesli.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Mina

Apparently, she spoke for herself just fine. &lt;G&gt;