Search

Where to be in Paris after dark?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to be in Paris after dark?

Hello I have been posting and getting alot of help on this forum regarding my trip to london and Paris this March. I will be spending one day in Paris, I arrive around 930 am and will not leave until after 8pm, I plan on going to the louvre from the gard du nord station
( not sure if I should take a taxi or public transit, any idea how much a taxi would be?) and spending a few hours there. then taking the batubs to see the arc de triumph, notre dame cathedral and eifel tower. My question is: The batubus stops at 430pm and I assume it gets dark around 530pm, where would be a good place to end up at this hour of the day. I know I can take the metro back to the station or a taxi from anywhere, but wanted a nice place to spend the last few hours, maybe have a nice dinner and get at least a taste of paris after dark.Are any shops still open at that time? I will be going alone and my wife and kids want me to bring them back something from Paris.
Thanks in adavance for the help! This forum has helped me so much in planning for my first trip to Europe.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:23 AM

What day of the week is your day?

A taxi from the Gare du Nord to the Louvre would cost about 8-10€ or you could take the metro line 4 to Chatelet and change to line 1 for Louvre/Rivoli.

After the Louvre, I would go to Notre Dame, then Arc de Triomphe, then Eiffel so you might end up at the Eiffel by dark and really enjoy the 'sparkling' that occurs on the hour.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I'd probably try to wind my day down in the Marais or somewhere in the Latin Quarter and go to a casual cafe that serve food at that early-for-dinner hour. I can't think of anything specific, but I'd want to be in a bustling area with lots of food/bar choices as it will probably be cold, and it would be nice to be tucked away someplace warm and cozy having a drink.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Maybe you should be a little more specific as to when you will be there (date and day of week), for best advice.

Daylight Saving Time begins in March, for example, which throws sunset back an hour, of course. Even in earlier March, it won't get dark at 5:30. Sunset is around 6:30 at beginning of month and 7 pm in mid-March until DST on 3/26, then 8ish.

Lots of stores are open in the evenings. The dept stores are often open until 7 (Bon Marche is open until 8 on Sat and 9 on Thursdays, else 7). I really like that dept store, but any of the main ones will do for shopping. The shops on the Champs-Elysees are always open until late, but it wouldn't be as easy to do one-stop shopping as a dept. store. You will surely find something there, though, if you wish and you can count more on shops being open till late. You aren't really going to be out that late, though.

AS for taxi, it won't be much from Gare du Nord to the Louvre -- between 5 to 10 euro, I'd say. There can be a bit of wait at Gare du Nord for a taxi, though.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:41 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Hi thanks for the replies. If all goes as planned, I will be there on March 10 2006. It is a Friday. Thanks agian.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM
ira

Hi rd,

Are you flying home from Paris CDG? If so, what time is your flight?

>my wife and kids want me to bring them back something from Paris.

You can always buy souveniers at the duty free shops in the airport.

How will you get to the airport?

Directions on public transportation are at www.ratp.fr.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:01 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Hi Ira, Actually I am staying in London for about a week so I am taking the eurostar from London to Paris and spending the day in Paris. I need to be back at the gard du nord station around 730pm or 8. I need to check teh exact time. I know I don't have that much time, so That is why i figure the batobus sounded like a good idea.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM
ira

Hi rd,

OK, daytrip from London.

Getting to the Louvre:
From Gare du Nord you can take Metro line 4 direcion Orleans to Chatelet. Change to Metro Line 1, direction La Defense and exit at the Musee' du Louvre. You can enter the museum from there.

Pick up the Batobus from the Louvre at the Pont royal stop.

It will take you to the Palais, Eiffel Tower, Musee' D'Orsay. Next stop is St Germaine.

Get off here and walk up the Rue du Seine to Rue de Buci. Lots of shops, cafes and souvenir shops.

You can wander around and return to the Batobus stop or take Rue St Andre des Arts (extension of Rue de Buci)East to Boul St Michelle. Go right, along the Seine. Some of the book stalls will still be open.

Cross the Pont Archeveche and go to the Ile St. Louis. Have a gelato at Amorino, 47 rue Saint Louis en L’Ile.

There are souvenir shops near La Notre Dame on (I think) Rue du Cloitre.

Cross to the right bank and walk to the Chatelet Station. Take Metro 4 or RER B to gare du Nord.

Have a pleasant day.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the reply and all the great info and suggestions!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:39 PM

The Chatelet station is a real labyrinth. Another way to get from Gare du Nord to the Louvre is the 48 city bus [direction Palais Royale-Musee du Louvre]. The stop is outside of the station at the northeast end.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks RonZ, so it is only one bus I would have to take.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM
ira

Hi Rd,

Good idea from Ron.

You can get detailed instructions, with maps, at www.ratp.fr.

Click "Bus"

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Or here

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_p...hp?partenaire=
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Day trip from London (with maps):

<b>http://tinyurl.com/c2tgo</b>
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:29 AM
rd1
Original Poster