1 1/2 Days in Paris

Search

1 1/2 Days in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 1/2 Days in Paris

Accompanying my husband on a business trip to Paris next month. We arrive Saturday afternoon and leave Monday night. I'll be able to spend the rest of Saturday after arrival and Sunday with my husband and would like to just have a relaxing time experiencing the city. (We've both been to Paris before, separately and over ten years ago.)

My questions:
1) I've pretty much decided on Hotel Notre Dame in the Latin Quarter after reading posts here and other recommendations. Can anyone who's stayed there recommend a particular room?
2)Thought we'd take a boat ride on the Seine on Saturday afternoon after arrival. Walkt around a bit, see the Eifel Tower and the Arc de Triumph at around dusk before heading back (by foot?) to the Latin Qaurter for dinner. A good plan? Any restaurant recommendations?
3)Sunday we'd like to buy stuff for a picnic in a park (suggestions?) at an open air market (suggestions?). I have to visit the Musee d'Orsay, then maybe Montmatre and Sanit Chapelle. Dinner somewhere romantic and "authentic". Ideas?
4) Monday I'm on my own and am truly at a loss. So many museums are closed (including Versailles and Giverncy which would have been perfect as my husband's not into gardens.) Help!

This is a REALLY long post. Thanks for your patience and help!

pam
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 02:45 AM

I'd go to Carita to get my hair done -- unbelievable experience and then wander across the street to bring home an Hermes scarf. Also some great costume jewelry on the other side of the street in the opposite direction. I'd reward myself with ice cream at Bertillon.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 03:50 AM

On Monday, I'd go to the Musee Picasso, explore the Marais area and then head for Mariage Freres for a nice cup of tea.

Unfortunately, the Musee Galliera with the special exhibit about Marlene Dietrich is closed on Mondays, too.

On the other hand, you could spend a whole day at the Pompidou Center. There's a good permanent exhibit and right now, a new special exhibit about China that I plan to visit next month. Have lunch at 'Georges' on the top floor. The view is among the best ones, especially from the terrace.
If you're a shopping girl, hit the sales at any of the department stores (with A/C) and all the wonderful small boutiques.

Oh, the Sunday picnic. Get some food on Rue de Buci's food market which is open on Sunday morning.

Have fun!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 03:59 AM

Pam, your plan sounds good to me except that if you plan to see the Eiffel Tower at dusk (and the Arc) and then walk back to the Latin Quatier it will be very late. It doesn't get dark till close to 11 pm in July. I remember waiting for the fireworks on a Bastile Day a few years ago and it didn't start till 11 (it was pretty dark by 10:30). A walk back along the Seine in the dark is wonderful but will take close to an hour. So manybe you should plan to have dinner first. I've found many restaurants in Paris don't serve dinner after 10pm.

For you Sunday picnic you could get your supplies at either Rue Mouffetard (in the 5th) or Rue Cler (in the 7th) - but check when they are open since they might be closed on Sundays. A picnic, the D'Orsay, Montmartre and Saint Chappel are a bit much for one day if you're going for leisurely. Could you do one of them on Monday?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:13 AM

My favorite Sunday market is at Pl. Monge. Rue Cler markets are pretty much closed on Sunday. Since you want to see musee d'Orsay and Ste. Chappelle you might consider the carte musee to bypass the long lines.
Maybe a trip to the top of Samarataine for a nice view of the city.
A lovely small restaurant in the 7th with WONDERFUL food is Le Florimond, 19 av. Lamotte-Picquet--a half a block from Ecole Militaire metro and walking distance from the Eiffel Tower. It is not open on Sunday. Another that IS open Sunday is La Fontaine de Mars, on the corner of rue l'Exposition and Ste. Dominique. Also walking distance from Eiffel Tower. Both need reservatons.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Rooms at HOtel Notre Dame are small, so reserve the largest room you can afford. July is peak tourism time so you probably won't get to choose a specific room.

As noted, sunset occurs late and Saturday night you need a dinner reservation if you're eating after 7pm. I'd suggest an early dinner then take walk around, then take boat tour at dusk.

Besides Luxembourg, you have lots of tree-filled parks right in the city like Parc Montsouris. Do a google search for Paris, parks and choose your favorite. Don't exclude cemetaries, which can be park-like.

What about Montmarte? You can spend a day wandering your way down from the top.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for the help!
To Gretchen: it is kind of a lot for one day, but the Orsay is also closed on Mondays and I really want to see if it's as fabulous as I remeber. And the other stuff would certainly interest my husband, who basically only has Sunday (and half of Saturday) to see the city.
To Katerina: I was thinking of maybe doing some kind of beauty/hair treatment on Monday. Was Carita very expensive?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Not sure what you mean by a lot and the d'Orsay being closed. I was just suggesting the museum pass since the lines at the Orsay can be around the block and this would keep you from waiting--also at Ste. Chappelle--or the Rodin or Cluny--since you are a bit on a time crunch.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Pam,
There is a delightful tea salon very close to where you will be staying. It's called Maison du Vanille and the owner imports fine vanillas as well as running this place. A good place for a sit-down and a snack after a long walk - you will have earned the ice cream with hot chocolate sauce, or the vanilla-infused coffee or tea - all house made and wonderful.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi Pam,

Couple of restaurants near you are Rotiiserie du Beaujolais (1/2 block up form you hotel to street that runs along Seine, turn right down a couple of blocks). Good chicken, locals, may need reservation. Auberge de la reine balnche on main street of Ile St louis is a nice small place, good food, friendly lady running the place. Ile St Louis is a nice place to spend an evening, maybe a concert at the church there
www.aubergedelareineblanche.com

Le Montebello is also same direction as Rotisserie, but closer, on street by Seine.. Cheap, decent food, bonus was a patio and view of NOtre Dame.

Away from Seine and into St Germain have been to and recommend :

Le petit Zinc
11 Rue St Benoit
Traditional french food and fish
http://www.petit-zinc.com/. Old time decor, bit fancier than the other restaurants.

Au Moulin a vent- Chez Henri-
20 Rue des Fosses Bernard (not too far form Hotel)Traditional french food. FOund it in Michelin Red Guide.
http://www.paris.dealsonhotels.com/l...102/BID_13490/

Chez Rene for traditional food
14 Rue St Germain
http://www.economist.co.uk/cities/di...mp;city_id=PAR

For breakfast we used to cross over Seine at Pont St Michel, go along 1 block anbd there is a cafe on the open square on the right that had toast/coffee/OJ start to day.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM

I'm renting an apartment right now near rue Mouffetard and it is open on Sunday mornings, as well as the special roving market at place Monge. There may be others, but those are particularly good. Actually, I think for a picnic, you would do better just buying stuff from food shops (traiteurs, boulangeries, patisseries, etc, all of which are open on rue Mouffetard) than an open-air market like that, or just as well. I'm not really sure I'd recommend doing that with such a short visit because you want to do so much that day, but if you do want to, that's the best I know. There is one in the 13th on ave d'Italie near Chinatown, also, but it's not as good. There isn't a great park near Mouffetard to have a picnic in that I can think of, however, so you'd have to buy stuff there and carry it somewhere else.

It's getting dark around 10:30, although it's dusk after about 10, I'd say. Last Sunday I had dinner at a very good place I'd recommend and it is near your hotel -- the Bouillon Racine at 3, rue Racine. It would probably qualify as both romantic and authentic (it's been there long enough, very historic restaurant and beautifully restored Art Nouveau style). You can dine for about 30-40 euro total per person, easily.

As for Monday, there are other museums that are open on Monday, if you want to do that, aside from Orsay. YOu could certainly do some shopping if you want (and there are the summer sales now which continue most of July). There is plenty to do, just pick up a Pariscope (weekly entertainment guide) and peruse it for ideas. You could take a walking tour, the company Paris Walks has them now in English. They have a web site www.paris-walks.com and on Monday a tour of the Ile/Notre Dame at 10:30 am and the latin Qtr at 2:30 pm.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:06 AM
ira

Hi Pam,

The Musee Jacquemart-Andre has a lovely Sunday Brunch. You could then tour the museum and take a stroll through the Parc Monceau, walk to the Etoile and down the Champs Elysee back toward your hotel.

See http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.co...re/home_en.htm
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Just checked the site again this morning (Hamburg time). Thanks to everyone for your help! pam
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

. . . and I just realized that Ira asked if a picnic, the d'Orsay, Montmartre, etc. might be too much for one day. Sorry, Gretchen.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Pam, some of the best advice I had before my trip was to group your sights by area. Here's what I'd do.

Saturday: Orsay, dinner at Fontaine de Mars, bateau mouche at dusk (across from Eiffel Tower at Pont d'Alma).

Sunday: Ste. Chapelle (near hotel), walk up Mouffetard for picnic ingredients. You could then walk down rue Monge to Les Arenes for your picnic. Then off to Montmartre.

Actually we did the same thing in May. At the southern end of Mouffetard, an accordionist plays on Sunday about 12:30. He passes out music to everyone and they all sing and dance--it's fun.

Monday--Musee Jacquemart-Andre and beauty?
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I thought of a place where you could picnic near Mouffetard, and that is the garden/grounds of the Arenes which is right near there. Actually, you are not allowed to picnic or be on the grass inh most parks, not sure if you knew that. There are only a few where you can legiti,ately do this --there are signs in most parks telling you to stay off the grass. The few where you are allowed include Champ de Mars, Place des Vosges, the Arenes and the park at the Invalides. You might thus consider getting takeout food in the Marais and going to Vosges--there seems plenty open on Sunday.

For Mon, depends on your interests, but Invalides is open and has an excellent new WWII section, also the Jacquemart Andre for older period art as suggested; and the Maillol Foundation for mdern art--it is one of nmy favorite museums. You don't really need one of those roving markets for a picnic.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Pam, Musee Picasso would be a great choice for Monday. It is a wonderfully done museum where you can learn (yes, with signage in English) about his art and his life in chronological order as you wind up the floors of a wonderful mansion. The neighborhood around, the Marais (3rd Arrondissement), is also great for wandering.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice! We had a fabulous weekend. Would defintely recommend the Hotel de Notre Dame (Rue Maitre Albert). In summer, book the tiny room on the fifth floor with a view of Notre Dame and airconditioning!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:04 AM
ira

Hi Pam,

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:01 AM

Pam:

We loved Hotel de Notre Dame, too! I don't see how one could ask for a better location in all of Paris (for the price). Walk 50 paces and...VOILA!...you're at the Seine in the shadow of Notre Dame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -