Where should we go next June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are going to Germany/Austria this December on AA miles (80000 miles in business class). We have enough miles to go back to Europe next summer, and I want to go again before AA's mileage requirements change on September 1st.

So...right now I'm looking at May 23rd-June 6 for our trip. I want to incorporate that Memorial Day holiday in there to make it one fewer day I have to take off of work!

We definitely want to go back to our little slice of heaven, Les Carmes in Provence, so I'm thinking 4 nights there... anything more than that would be overkill. But other than that, we are wide open.

Any suggestions as to where else we should go?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM

Personally I would pick Paris.

Have you thought about Aiz-en Provence? Little town near the coast just north of Marseille.

Or Cinque Terre in Italy?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM

sorry that's

Aix-en Provence

silly spell checker!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

We visited Aix last year, albeit only for a day.

Oooh, Cinque Terre!! Excellent idea.

I was thinking of Venice for four days as a possibility. Maybe we could do Nice/CT/Venice.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Also, we spent a week in Paris on our honeymoon last year. For whatever reason, my hubby didn't care for Paris that much and really doesn't want to go back "right away."
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:03 PM

I loved Venice if I could stay away from St.Mark's square. Getting lost in the other neighborhoods was the best! Oh and Gelato as often as possible.

CT was great, if you want to end there that would be best as there isn't much to see except the sunset through your toes while sipping that wonderful sweet wine that comes from their region. Don't forget the pesto!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

BUMP to see if I can get more suggestions...
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well personally I loved Venice, I've been there twice. It is absolutely amazing.

What I don't get is when you have a place that is your own "little slice of heaven" why 4 days is all you want there. "Overkill"????
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Suze - since we were just at Les Carmes last year, I don't think we'd want to spend a lot more time there than 4-5 days max. We are mainly going back for the chef, James', amazing 30 euro multi-course meals. I see it being a place we go back to revist maybe once every two or three years on our jaunts to Europe, because we loved the food so much!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
rex

You barely tell us anything about the criteria you would use to define a good match to your "little slice of heaven" - - but taking a wild stab at this... if I were asking this question, then an answer (relevant to me, not necessarily you) would be to combine a side trip to Corsica, as a good accompaniment to anywhere in the south of France.

My answer is based, at least in part, on having been to France 14 times before, and having just returned from Sicily.

And I would love to know more about the history of the world from the 1780s to the 1820s (this comes in part from just having watched the seven part series "John Adams" on PBS).

Some little Corsican guy rose virtually from obscurity to rule all of France, and almost, all the world... in those four decades.

Best wishes,

Rex