Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris and the Cinque Terre -- good combination?

Jun 12th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Well, our Paris trip was postponed, and now I have found out that I will be having Achilles' tendon surgery in late July, so no active vacation for awhile. While I'm recovering, I thought the best thing for me to do would be to plan a trip, one of my favorite pastimes

The next two trips I want to plan are Athens/Greek Islands and also Paris/Cinque Terre.

I was thinking we could fly into Paris for about 5/6 nights, then fly from Paris to Pisa, then train to Cinque Terre for about 4/5 nights. We' want to find out best place to fly from near that area home to Atlanta.

This trip would probably be in mid-May or late September/early October. I've done so much research on Paris that I feel pretty good about things there. But I'm not as sure about the Cinque Terre portion.

We love hiking (well, I hope I will still be able to hike after the surgery), exploring, seeing beautiful sites, history. We've been to Portofino, and we definitely want to go there on one day of our trip. We want to stay somewhere with a beautiful view (balcony preferred) of the sea. We'd like to keep the total to $250 U.S. or less per night, but are a little flexible. We're not foodies, so don't care about fancy restaurants. We like to eat outside while on vacation. We love to wander around, explore. We definitely want to take some sort of boat trip, not sure where. We'd probably like to hike to all the villages, and also to Portofino if we can. Not interested in night life; would prefer to be able to sit in the evenings on our balcony looking at the sea.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Jun 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM

We did this combo a few years ago, flew in/out of Paris (used FF points). We spent 3 nights in Paris (it was my umpteenth time there, but my DH's first), picked up a car on the third day and drove to Beaune for 1 night, crossed into Switzerland, stayed in Vevey, then crossed into Italy via the St. Bernard Tunnel (very cool), and spent 2 nights in Caneli in Piedmonte. After that, we drove to Lerici for 4 nights where we explored the Cinque Terre and did a day trip to Lucca. We stayed the Hotel Miami which was right across from the water and had a nice balcony. It's a very cute town and very accessible by boat to the Cinque Terre and Portovenere (another really cute town).

From there, we drove up the Italian Riviera into the French Riviera and spend 2 nights in Aups, then 1 night outside a Relais and the final night at a really nice Auberge near the aiport, where we dropped the car the next morning.

I know this sounds like a whirlwind, but it really wasn't, we didn't drive more than 4 or 5 hours tops each day and really loved seeing all the different areas. Probably my favorite trip to Europe of them all!

We did this trip in late May / early June and had perfect weather.
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, owlwoman! I know a lot of people say that 4 or 5 nights is too much for the Cinque Terre, but I really think we'd enjoy it, as long as we're able to do a lot of walking. My husband thinks I won't be able to do it until next fall, but I'm still hoping for May/June of next year.
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Samsaf - I sure can relate about the best thing to assist in recovery is planning a trip!

I will contact my cousin who just returned from CT -

Looking forward to reading about your planning.
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Samsaf,we spent 8 days few years ago in a nice apartment with a balcony in Manarola with my daughter and grandson..We just loved the CT and could have stayed longer.

Going back again in September for four days with my Granddaughter..I am certain that despite that she is a teenager, will fall in love with CT also.
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dawn and kismetchimera!
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM

I agree with kismet. On our first trip to CT in October 2006, we planned to spend 2 days, fell in love with the place, and stayed 4 days. On our second trip in October 2008, we planned to spend 4 days, and returned to spend 2 more days. If we could afford it, we'd stay there for a month. And if we had guts, we'd move there!
Jun 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Samsaf - I had to share a giggle with you - I email with my cousin almost every day. Mainly short emails on various subjects - often travel - I emailed her and only said in the subject : where did you stay in the CT (she just went in the spring with her son) she sent me a link and thankfully I looked at it before I posted it and it was for Conn.! (CT) LOL ... I resent her an email and will share as soon as she replies.
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM

http://www.portoroca.it/hotel_e.htm

That is where my cousin just stayed and she loved it!
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Hey, LucieV, it doesn't take all that much guts!

Samsaf, you should at least consider staying in the Monte Portofino park area, which offers a lot of hikes and a lot fewer tourists.

For true hikers, this is marvelously located, simple B&B right at the doorstep of the park, within in walking distance of two restaurants, a bar and a bakery with take-out foods.

http://www.larosabiancadiportofino.com/

Or you can stay in the towns of Camogli or Santa Margherita Ligure, for boat rides and hikes on the mountain.

This place is also great:

http://www.villagnocchi.it/