Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should I leave the car as we leave Caen to go to Portsmouth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be renting a car. Our boat leaves at 11 PM on Tuesday night. I know the boat is not exactly in Caen. Where do I drop the car? Will there then be a taxi available to take us to the boat?

Should DH drop me off first with the bags, return the car? This is a small logistics problem. DH is always so impressed I know what to do when we travel. You guys on this board make me look so smart!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:30 AM

The ship leaves from Ouistreham. Only the car rental company will know whether you can leave the car there or in Caen.
The morning and afternoon sailings to Portsmouth have a connecting bus from the centre of Caen. The evening sailing does not have a connecting bus. The last regular bus leaves Caen bus station (adjacent to the railway station) at 2000 (8 pm). So, you can catch that bus then have dinner in Ouistreham (there are several restaurants there) or take a taxi which will cost around 50 euros. There is a taxi rank outside Caen station.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

GeoffHamer,

It sounds like we need to leave the car at the railway station. We have options, I just didn't know which one to chose.

We can then take the bus to Ouisterham. Do we have to make a reservation for the bus? Can we take our luggage on the bus?

If we are taking the late train, at what time will we be able to get on the ship?

Thanks

teach905
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM

The bus is one of the normal local buses run by Bus Verts (www.busverts.fr but it's not very user-friendly).
You pay the driver when boarding and the adult fare from Caen to Ouistreham seems to be 2.05 euros. You can take luggage on the bus.
Foot passengers usually embark about half an hour before the ship leaves. In the evening, the ship normally arrives from Portsmouth at 2130 and then leaves at 2300; in port, the ship has to be cleaned, beds remade, etc. The ship's restaurants are open for dinner when passengers board, but it's too late for me.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Do I understand you correctly...the taxi is 50 euros and the bus is 4 for 2 people?

I guess we will do the not very user friendly bus. For that much difference we can have dinner!!!

Thanks
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM

The bus fare is per person, so four adults would pay 8.20 euros.
It's the bus company's website that isn't very user-friendly. The buses are fine, except for the lack of an evening service. If you get to Caen after eight, a taxi is the only way to get to Ouistreham.