Transportation in Ecuador

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a last minute trip to Ecuador and hope to see Otalvalo and Mindo. Is it possible to travel between the two or should I plan on returning to Quito and then traveling to Mindo. Can you hire taxis between the two? If I do take a bus will there be under bus storage for a suitcase. Also it possible to hire drivers between Quito and Cuenca who will stop to see the sights along the way?
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 11:58 AM

There are no direct buses on that route.The easy way would be to return to Quito’s northern bus station and get the bus to Mindo from there. You don’t have to go all te way to the city centre.

You could ask to be dropped off at the junction for Mindo and wait for the bus there but this is dependent on knowing when the bus is due. Not reall somwhere you want to get stuck.

You can get a taxi driver to take you anywhere you want to go - at a price!Your best bet would be to ask your accomodation in advance if they have any fav. drivers they recommend. Yestravel who posts here regularly, took that option. Hopefully she will see this and comment - alternatively search for her trip report using her screename.

All the buses will have space underneath, but watch your stuff like a hawk, especially when picking up and droppin* off passengers. In Ecuador, I always carry my stuff in the cabin with me ( and always keep it in sight).
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

We had a great time in Ecuador. Started out with a taxi from Quito to Otalvalo but that grew expensive very quickly. Met a couple of seniors about our age in Otalvalo and they had been taking the buses for several weeks. They offered to show us the ropes from Otavalo to Quito and everything was fine from then on. We even took a 7.5 hour bus ride from Cuenca to Ambato. Most buses checked our luggage and gave us a receipt. Only uncomfortable stop was Ambato where we disembarked on a street corner but when we left Ambato it was from a bus station. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 10:47 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time.