Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a bus that goes from Piraeus port to Patras port?

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told there was a daily bus run by the ship line but I can't find any information anywhere. Does anybody know about this and if not, how does one get from Athens/Piraeus to Patras?
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM

It depends which shipping company you're using. Superfast (www.superfast.com) have a bus from Pireas to connect with their ships.
Otherwise, you can go by train, changing at Kiato, I believe. The old narrow-gauge line from Pireas to Patra is being replaced by a standard-gauge line, but until the new line goes all the way to Patra, you have to change trains.
There are also buses at least every hour from a big bus station in Athens to Patra.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM

About getting to Patras ... do NOT think about the Train. I have been all through this on the Trip Advisor Board, which has numerous experts who live in Athens & the Pelopponnese. I had notions of the train also, but it is a real drag to get, and to change, and the roadbed deteriorates after Corinth. THe train, oddly enough is slower and more costly than a bus.

Much more efficient to go to KTEL bus terminal A on Kiffissou St and get an express intercity bus to Patras. It takes just 3 hours; 16.3€. Here is a timetable:
http://www.athensguide.com/practical...schedulesA.htm

You have to taxi from Pireaus to the bus station -- One would THINK there would be a regular express bus from ferry to intercity bus station... the way there is an express bus from the Airport. But I haven't found one so far. Taxi takes 20 minutes should be no more than about 11-12E on the meter. It lets you off out in a big messy street to find your way in.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for thewse replies. It is the Superfast bus I am interested in. I can't find mention of it or schedule on their website. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Well, you are a poet, so maybe your mind doesn't work like a journalists. I looked at the site and, you are right, there doesn't seem to be info about a bus. So I looked at a way to contact Superfast and ask. So that I could find a page written in English, I selected "united Kingdom" and clicked "start traveling." up came a page with travel info in Engllish -- ad a link that says "Contact Us." U put in your email, and there's a box for your question.

Try it. Ask how to get a Superfast bus from Pireaus to meet their boat at Patras (I trust thats what u want to do).
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM

On www.superfast.com select a country (eg "United Kingdom") then "Start Travelling".
On the left-hand side of the next screen is "For passengers" then "Bus service". They leave Pireas at 0900 and 1215, but need to be booked in advance - they may not run if not enough people book.
If the special Superfast bus is not running, trains are cheaper and slower than buses to Patra.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM

http://tinyurl.com/58rms3
G.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wanted to post this answer a week ago just to document for anyone doing a search but my computer died when I got to Bari so here is what I did.
There is a Superfast office very close to Syntagma at 30 Amalias. You can buy your boat ticket there and the bus ticket is 18 euro additional. The bus left at noon and went to Piraeus to pick up more passengers. Because there were so few passengers the bus driver was extremely accomodating and stopped for a bathroom break at the Corinth canal so we could take pictures and eat a souvlaki. The drive is quite scenic and makes me think I should rent a car to explore that area better next time I am in Greece.
I should also let you know that Superfast recently put a new ship into commission which is very nice and comfortable. There are plenty of no smoking areas so that was good.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Thanks for posting your report.
The buses always used to have a refreshment stop near the Corinth Canal, but in recent years that has become optional because the new highway has no roadside cafés. I think the journey's much better if passengers have a break.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

The bus driver gave us the option to stop or not stop. We all wanted to stop. It was nice to have the break and take pictures. There was a Brazilian family who was thrilled to have the option.
I didn't realize there was a different route than the one we were on.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM

We exercised the following option, which may be available to you if you ask the right questions. There is a story with it on transport integration, or the lack of it; reinforcing previous observations on Greek people traveling to Athens, but caring little about other regions (like the Campanilismo in southern Italy).

In early October we intended to travel from Chania in Crete toward Bari in Italy ... with stopovers in Meteora (N Central Greece), then via Ioannina and Igoumenitsa (NW Greece), finally a day in Corfu. And we didn't want to get stuck early morning with a taxi from Piraeus port to the Athens' bus stop or railroad station.

We inquired in Chania at several travel agencies and finally discovered something new: that Blue Star ferries + KTEL bus lines have a rare joint offer to get on the bus, which gets on the ferry, then off in Piraeus and keeps going. The attendant didn't know much about Greek geography, but had a on her board Patras and Ioannina. We chose the latter, without routing information via Kalambaka/Meteora or via Patras. It turned out to be the latter. No transfer hassles, no luggage carrying in Piraeus.

Trip schedule: Chania 7pm - Piraeus 6 am - Patra 11 am - Ioannina 2 pm; one driver throughout, on pit stop on each leg. We got to cross the beautiful new Rio-Antirio suspension bridge across the Gulf of Corinth.

We were told of busses probably continuing from Ioannina to Igoumenitsa; but nobody in Chania knew, or cared, about a transfer schedule that far away. The terminus of the trip was at a station on the edge of town. To continue we had to get to another bus company at a station in town center, where we'd find a schedule. The 3 hour layover was no problem: pretty town, good dinner. What burned me: on the way out the new bus passed within 100 yards of the other bus station!!

We got to Igoumenitsa at 7 pm, then via ferry to Corfu at 11 pm. Altogether 28 hrs. And needed a full day to recover.