Search

Where should I go from Lyon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I go from Lyon

Hi,

I am traveling for work to Lyon. I have a meeting on a Friday in Lyon and another meeting in Lyon on the following Tuesday. I have visited Lyon before, and would like a suggestion for somewhere to stay for 3 days in between my Lyon meetings. I don't want to rent a car, but would like to take the train. I have visited Paris and Provence, so was thinking of going to Dijon, Montpellier, or maybe even Geneva. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:10 AM

Marseille is only 2 hours from Lyon by TGV, whereas Montpellier is at least 4 or 5 hours (not high speed line yet), and it's far more interesting if you like mediterranean culture.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 03:45 AM

I too plan on traveling to Lyon. I want to see the US and Colombia play in soccer's Confedaration's Cup. I will fly into Geneva on a Friday morning and train into Lyon. I've never been to Switzerland or France, any suggestions? I.e. moderate places to stay that are convinient to mass transit, how much can I expect to spend on meals, eating local food, moderately. How much and easy is the metro to maneouver with limited French.

What day trips can I do in and around Lyon, the matches are at night. How can I get to Annesy? HELP!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:37 AM

Perhaps you could try French Alps area. There are frequent and short distance trains to Annecy,Chambery,Aix-Les-Bains and Grenoble.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:52 AM

Hi Peesh,

I would recommend going to Annecy, which is only about 90 miles from Lyon. There are good train connections available from Lyon.
Annecy would be a lovely place to spend 3 days. It's sometimes referred to as the Venice of the Alps, and rightly so. The town hugs the lake, and the views of the Alps are staggeringly beautiful. Annecy has a very lively old town with lots of beer halls, creperies, galleries, and outdoor entertainment. You can also take a 1 or 2 hour cruise of the lake, and get off at some of the surrounding villages for part of the day.
Good luck, and have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:57 PM
jmw

Hi, if you love vineyards and lake views, you might consider the Lavaux region of Lac Leman. Easy to reach by train, tiny lake villages and plenty of train sidetrip possibilities into the hills. J. (But I have to admit, Weadles' description of Annecy is enticing. I've been there, and this makes me want to go back right now.)

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:15 PM
lynlor

Take the train to Roanne, France ( 1 hour) and have the most wonderful meal of your life. Stay the night....even better.

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:26 PM

I took the train from Lyon to Le Puy-en-Velay with my Dad in May. It was a very pretty ride through some low, rolling mountains.

It's a really unusual town with the three volcanic spires, one topped by the cathedral, one by a statue of Notre Dame and the steepest topped by a 13th century chapel. It makes for some very interesting views. We stayed at the Hotel St Jacque very near the train station. It has a website but oddly no e-mail address. It had been recently remodeled and was immaculate inside.

I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3 full days in Le Puy, but you could take a pretty day trip through the mountains to Clermont-Ferrand to see the cathedral.

While there make sure you try the Ambert bleu cheese and the cantal (especailly doux, meaning soft if you can find it.) I'm not much of a blue cheese fan but I really liked the Ambert. I liked the special Le Puy lentils too.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. I am leaning towards visiting Annecy.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:46 PM

I too would highly encourage you to go to Annecy. The town is delightful for strolling, relaxing, and just plain soaking up the ambience! I don't know if there is bus service or about the train connections, but how about visiting Chamonix and taking the cable car for a fabulous view. It is not too far from Annecy.

Ellen