around Lyon

Apr 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

around Lyon

Hi! I/we will be in Lyon from California... get there saturday morning. Have business for two days in Lyon Mon-Tues. Any recommendations for place to visit Sat/Sun.. stay sat night, leave sun afternoon, that is close by? Was thinking Grenoble, as my brother lived there for ten years and I always wanted to visit.... We like excitement/ good sight-seeing/ shows/ fun people, etc. Thanks!

Jim
Apr 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM

I don't know about shows, fun people, etc., but Annecy cannot be beaten for sheer beauty of the lake and Alps in the background. Interesting old town area along the canal leading to the lake.
Apr 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

ahh thanks... I have heard Annecy is a great place to see. How far from Lyon?
Apr 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM

1 hr.53 min. by train; 1 hr. 31 min. by car, according to Google Maps.
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:12 AM

There is so much to see and do in Lyon, we never left until our time was up
Apr 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM

The area between Annecy and Grenoble, which includes the Chartreuse national park (including the stunningly located monastery that used to make the famous liqueur), is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful scenery, lots of picturesque small towns, craggy alpine peaks, etc. One of my favorite places anywhere in France, in fact.
If I were you I'd head to Annecy on the Saturday, spend the night there and then drive down from there through the chartreuse park to Grenoble.

Having said that, I agree there's loads to see and do in Lyon itself.
Or you could do a nice day trip, driving up into the hills of the Beaujolais region, where you could taste some wine and have a great lunch with a view - can recommend two restaurants with incredible views in that area if you are interested.
Apr 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM

enjoy the old lyon and the "art market" along the saone river on sunday mornings
walk as much as you can(ask to see the 3 D mural which is accross the old lyon accross the bridge=the famous people of lyon througout the ages)
lyon which is a friendly city with friendly people
May 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM

Jim, I just returned to the states last week from a trip to Lyon. I agree with all the suggestions from previous posts. The art market on Sunday morning was great and we picked up food from the nearby food market for a picnic lunch. Lyon is very walkable - i used the bus system a couple of times but never used the metro. I highly recommend a trip to Annecy; it is gorgeous and was one of the highlights of my trip. I took a train there (about 2 hours) by myself. You can take a cruise out on the lake, which looked delightful - but the times didn't work out with my return train trip to Lyon. But there is certainly enough to do in Lyon if you don't want to make that trip. There are numerous 3-D murals around town that are amazing! And I agree that the people are very friendly. I didn't think it was as touristy as Paris. Enjoy!
May 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM

For sheer excitement, go hang gliding or paragliding over the Lac d'Annecy with an instructor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...57624529919999

and the next one.