Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where should college kid ski in Switzerland?

Feb 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

My son is studying abroad (Seville) & wants to ski in Switzerland for a long weekend. Does anyone have a recommendation for a fun place(es)? He's advanced, but some of the kids may not be.
Thanks
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Switzerland is one of the most expensive ski destinations. If your son intends to fly, he might want to go to Austria, unless money is no object. There are ski resorts in the Spanish and French Pyrenees that are much closer.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

He definitely wants to ski in Switzerland, and is meeting friends. One friend suggested Gstaad, but I think that he won't find many young people there. I know of St. Moritz, Zermatt & someplace easy access from Interlaken (can't remember the name). Is there a place to stay where they could go to several ski areas, or one place that is great? The price is only somewhat important, as it is only for a weekend. He has wanted to ski in Switzerland since he was a little boy.
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Grindelwald is fun. There's also a neat place we used to ski right outside of Berne, which sounds like "Wirrehurn", but I don't think that's the correct spelling. Anyone?
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:02 PM

He should fly into Zurich and head to Engelberg. Skiing for all levels, many young people there. If it is only for a weekend he should concentrate on ONE skiing area. There's enough to do in Engelberg.

Ingo
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM

I live 20 minutes from Engelberg and I don't recommend it-there aren't many runs really and most are for advanced skiiers. I recommend my favorite weekend resort Flims/Laax. Relatively easy access from Zurich airport (3 hrs. by frequent train/bus via Chur), great for all levels and lift system is great, lots of runs, more lively nightlife (a younger crowd than many of the other resorts mentioned), etc. We like staying at the friendly and basic hotel hostel-type Capri Hotel (Backpacker Deluxe). Prices are very reasonable (half-board and room for 4 people with private bath about 60sfr. pn/pp). They have a popular little pub onsite. It's on the free shuttle bus line and is only a 10-min. walk from the nightlife at Laax Murschetg (the Crap Bar).

http://www.caprilounge.ch/
www.alpenarena.ch

Feb 12th, 2004, 04:00 AM
JonJon

I find it hard to believe that a kid studying in Europe needs his Mother's advice on where to go skiing.

Feb 12th, 2004, 04:13 AM

If I were your son's age, which I have sadly not been for too many years, I'd want to head for Ischgl, Austria - without a doubt Party Central for European skiing, and the skiing is pretty amazing as well. My Switzerland venues are limited to Zermatt and Grindelwald. I think a young person would be more comfortable at the latter, particularly if he heads up to the tepee at Kleine Scheidegg. It was probably Grindelwald - or Wengen, which is part of the same area - that you were thinking of in reference to Interlaken
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Good point, JonJon.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

JonJon & Bitter, why are you so quick to criticize? He doesn't NEED me to do this. He asked me if I had heard of Gstaad & I told him I thought there were better choices. I have always found great advice on these forums from all you wonderful people, obviously not either of you.