Where NOT to go in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, I've always heard travelers speak of Ireland in the most loving of terms, and except for the occasional frustration with a particular area being too &quot;touristy&quot;, I've never heard anyone share a bad experience.<BR><BR>So, the question is, are there any bad areas in Ireland? I'd be interested in opinions on where to avoid and why.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I've been to several places, and most have dirty, industrial, grimy, yucky (that's a technical term) cities in them. I haven't found one in Southern Ireland (haven't been to northern). Even the farming villages still have old world charm (at least to me).<BR><BR>The only bad part about Ireland is the driving conditions, but I'm spoiled with american highways <BR><BR>
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM
jor

I can't think of a bad place in Ireland. But watch out for the hairy cows!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 08:56 PM

As far as Ireland and my feelings there of, loving terms would be a fair call. I can't think of a single &quot;bad&quot; place either. But, there's a few places that weren't all that interesting from an &quot;on vacation&quot; feel, if that makes sense.<BR><BR>Waterford and Limerick are both working cities. Neither are geared to the processing of sightseers, which is kind of good really. But, they also aren't setup with much in the way of major sights that you'd associate with that Ireland image. Different people will find either good or bad in that. For me, I wasn't fond of either place as I felt sort of like I was in an Ohio (or Michigan or wherever) working class town, or such. Didn't come to Ireland to achieve that, so off we went. On the other hand, if you want to see the real urban Ireland going about it's business, these are good places to go.<BR><BR>Killarney is the other end of the spectrum. They play the image thing to the hilt. BUT, if you look beyond the shops and theme pubs and especially if you go when it's not peak season, you're in one of the most gorgeous places of natural beauty you will EVER see in your lifetime. And it's not even unheard of to embrace the kitch ever now and again, just for the fun of it. And on a slow day, the lake boats and the jaunting carts in Killarney really are a good way to see a waters edge view of the lakes and the Dunloe Gap. It's worth a story about the snakes being driven into the lake and such as you go. Well, at least once.<BR><BR>Anyway, I wouldn't warn off anyone from anywhere. The most touristed place usually draws the most people for a good reason. And other people have excellent reasons for seeking out everyday type of towns.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:23 AM

I'm not a big fan of Killarney town. As the earlier poster said, it's way over the top, and possibly is the most touristy place on the planet.<BR><BR>HOWEVER, the area around Killarney is gorgeous, so just avoid the town and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM

Hi Swan:<BR><BR>I agree with what we've heard. Killarney get's the rap for being too touristy, but the area is beautiful and I think if you were there during low season, you might find some interesting places. <BR><BR>I sure every country has some places not to go. I personally stay away from Cork City because driving around it is pretty difficult. It is more of an industrial town. It does host the Guinness Jazz festival though so if I'm ever there in late October, I'll be dropping by.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:00 AM

Knock -- How many plastic Jesus's do you need...
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

Have to speak up for Killarney <BR>Now mind you - I only travel in the shoulder season, so I don't have to worry about too many crowds.<BR><BR>BUT - I love Killarney - we spent 3 days there on our trip this month, and we all agreed that we could have used more. It is a very walkable town ( don't try to drive in town - park the car and walk) Lots of restaurants, great B&amp;B's, tons of music at night - every night, even in the low season. <BR>I still have yet to get to Ross castle and over to Dingle ( long story) .<BR><BR>Twice now , I have only driven through Limerick, and that was enough for me. I even took the Tarbert ferry back ,so as to avoid driving through it again. <BR><BR>Waterford is nice for the Crystal tour, but having stayed there once, I don't know that I would stay there again. <BR> <BR>Debbie
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Jor wrote: &lt;&lt;I can't think of a bad place in Ireland. But watch out for the hairy cows!&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Well, now you've done it. I love cow watching, the hairier the better. The heck with the Blarney stone; are the hairy cows all over the countryside?<BR><BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM

Scotland's your best bet for hairy cows. Good luck.<BR><BR>Irrover--you're right. Forgot about Knock. Wonder who would win if we put Knock's plastic Jesus' up against Killarney's plastic leprechauns?<BR><BR>I've only been to Killarney town in the offseason, and found it way too touristy. We stayed one night (too many), and ate in a few different restaurants. Kept hoping the next one would be better than the last. It never happened. The town is full of overpriced, less-than-mediocre restaurants and pubs full of folding tables.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:39 AM

I think you are right about Limerick for tourists. I go there to visit friends but then we know where to go out. It has little to appeal to a tourist and can get dodgy at night in some places if you are not familar with it.<BR><BR>My real vote for where not to go is Blarney. I just don't get the fuss. I stayed in a lovely B&amp;B with my mother when We went to vcork and decided it would be a good place to stop as I had never been there. The restaurant we ate in the village was in my top 10 gross meals I have ever had and it was completely a tourist rip off. As well just a warning for thiose planning on being held over the ledhge to kiss the stone...I have head (probably not true!) that people have had a few drinks out (locals kids) and urinated on the spot you kiss. Not really tempting to me. It's probably locked at night and is not true but it sticks in my head!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:17 AM

Ann<BR><BR>I definitely agree. <BR><BR>As Pete McCarthy says in McCarthy's Bar.. the best way to see Killarney is &quot;in your rear view mirror&quot;....
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 02:59 PM

I've never been a big fan of Dublin, actually.<BR><BR>It really doesn't have too much to recommend it. It's not an awful place, but in my book spending a day there is plenty. <BR><BR>The glory of Ireland is in the countryside, which fortunately means just about any place else than Dublin.