Car Rental in Ireland

Search

Car Rental in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental in Ireland

We have never rented a car overseas before. We are renting a car from Shannon Airport and returning it to Kerry Airport. Any idea about how long it takes to do this and have it checked over etc. when we hand it in. Also, how far is the Hertz rental office from Kerry airport?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Hi Toni:<BR><BR>Where are you flying to from the Kerry Airport. I've never been to that airport, but I'm confident it is very small. It should not take too long for the drop-off. More time might be spent settling up with the two VAT-back schemes. <BR><BR>You might have a hard time finding someone who has flown out of the Kerry airport.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:01 AM
jor

I hope you realize the problems with an American driving in Ireland and you know that the wheel is on the &quot;passenger&quot; side of the car, and they drive on the left side of the road. Maybe you know this. Sorry if I have underestimated your knowledge.<BR><BR>I have traveled in Ireland and the UK many times. I will never drive a vehicle there. And, they drive like a bat out of hell!<BR><BR>Good luck, and be careful.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Don't be too freaked out by driving there. Depending on when you are going ( hopefully in the low/shoulder season) it is not too bad. <BR>My very first time EVER driving a rental car was in Ireland. I survived 9 days , with only 1 flat tire. <BR><BR>If you are used to an automatic here, get one there. Shifting with your left hand is supposedly a tricky manuever. <BR><BR>Take your time when you start out. Be sure your navigator keeps you close to the edge , but not on top of the stone wall! Rule of thumb - the driver should try to keep his/her outside shoulder lined up with the center line. It will keep you right inside your lane. <BR> If locals want to pass you - let them. If you are on a road with a &quot;slow lane&quot; move into it, and let them pass you by.<BR><BR>SLOW down when you approach curves (or &quot;acute bends&quot; as they call them.) it never failed - there was always a large truck coming around the bend <BR> Also - don't try to drive too far in any one day ( rough guide - 100 miles a day is usually plenty) . <BR><BR>Don't feel odd about stopping at a Petrol station to ask for directions. They are used to it, and are usually very happy to send you on the correct path. <BR>Oh. and for your first few days - try to stay to the main &quot;N&quot; roads as much as possible. They are usually ( but not always) the better, wider, more maintained roads. <BR><BR>Debbie
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:11 PM

I've never spent any time dropping off a car--we usually fly out before they open, so we just drop off the key.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:46 PM

Hi, We just got back from a 12 day trip to SW Ireland. I WANT TO GO BACK <BR>NOW!!! Anyway, we did rent a car in Dubloin, and dropped it off in Kerry. The Hertz rental car return is right at the airport. You just drive into the parking area and follow the signs. The paperwork is done inside the airport. Didn't take too long, about 20 minutes. The airport is very small, but it does have a small pub/coffee shop.<BR><BR>Don't worry about the driving. Good advice above, about taking it slow until you feel comfortable. My husband insisted on driving most of the time - he was horibble! He had trouble going slow, and tended to try to keep up with the locals. Bad idea. But we all made it fine. You will too.<BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 12:47 PM

Oh yes, I forget to mention that they don't even look the car over when you return it, but do it later after you have gone.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

<BR>Thanks everyone for your responses. I was relieved to hear about checking over the car. There certainly have been some horror stories. We're lucky in a way, we're Aussies and already drive on the &quot;irish&quot; side of the road, so won't have too many hassles with that. However.... driving on the &quot;wrong&quot; side of the road down the Amalfi Coast a month later will be interesting!