Where in Italy Easter week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of four (kids 15 and 17) have an unscheduled week in Europe at the end of March next year. We had wanted to spend it in Italy (first trip) however I have realized that it is the weekend of and week following Easter.
I guess our choices are to stay in France until Easter Monday and then spend only 4 days in Rome or to travel to a different part of Italy for the week to try and avoid the crowds (or to not go to Italy at all at this time of year but I am reluctant to make that decision as it may be our last opportunity as a family). Any input that could help me decide would be appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:40 AM

My sister and I spent 10 days in Rome over Easter this year with four teens. I didn't find it any more crowded that it is in the summer. We had no difficulties getting into any churches, museums, etc. All of the stores were closed on Easter day, but restaurants were open that day. We even got tickets to the Easter Mass at the Vatican. I wouldn't avoid Rome because it's Easter.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM

Hi,
We were in Italy for Easter this year and were also a bit worried before we left, but loved it.
Good Friday night in Florence we spent the whole evening going from one church to the next to see all the beautiful floral decorations, amazing!!!
We saw part of the Easter Sunday parade at the Duomo before we had to rush to catch our train to Verona, wonderful!
We did not find it over-crowded as we thought it may be and honestly think it is the best time of year to travel to Europe, before the crowds and heat arrive.
We spent a few days in Verona (2nd trip there) and loved it again, but really loved Venice, I guess because we had not been there before so everything was soooo exciting.
I'm sure you will not regret going to Italy over easter.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I am so happy to hear these comments! Our hearts were set on Italy but I had read that Easter weekend was the busiest time of the year in Rome after having read how crowded it was anyway.
Anything the teens especially enjoyed?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM

Shopping, shopping, and shopping! We had two girls (13) and two boys 16). Between the two girls, they bought 9 purses from street vendors (their own money they saved for the trip)! Plus they bought shoes, skirts,etc. The guys bought wallets and sunglasses.

They also loved the gelato. Bought it several times a day. I'm not a fan myself but it was a big thing for them. We were also on a quest for the best pizza. No agreement there but it was a good search (most liked the crust thin).

Excursions they enjoyed: St. Peter's, trip to Orvieto, tracing the path of the luminetti from Angels and Demons, hot air balloon ride, riding the subway, riding the train, exploring the local streets on their own (we stayed in an apartment near the Spanish Steps so they had a little freedom to explore), sitting at cafes and watching people, haggling with vendors, etc. Pretty much just being there!