Easter monday a Holiday in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I am unclear if Easter Monday is considered a Holiday (Festivo)or just a special day and is considered a weekday. Trying to figure out if we are able to visit Villa d' este after visiting Villa Carlotta.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Well I do know that major corporations have the day off as holiday. I am going there this Friday on business and will be working Good Friday but will not be working Easter Monday because everyone has the day off. Not sure how that impacts other things.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Hi zozozo, I have been in Italy (Rome) over Easter and I do not remember any problems regarding Easter Monday. It is a holiday.

It used to be a day when families took picnic food and went to the mountains etc. to celebrate this holiday. That is not as prevalent now as it was once.

I cannot remember what we did on Easter Monday but for sure we went to restaurants etc.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more help but I know that if everything had been shut down I would have remembered that.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM

we were in Italy on Easter Monday three years ago. It is definitely a holiday in the sense that people have the day off. Most of the stores are closed and the restaurants are crowded as are the roads. That year, it was raining and cold, so that the out door tables were not availa ble. We were in Todi and could find no place to accommodate us as we were a large group. We ended up at an autogrill. If you are going to be in Italy Easter Monday, I would suggest reservations where ever you plan to go., and pray for sunshine and warm weather.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:57 AM

I have been in Italy in th eNaples area several times for Eaater Monday (It's called Pasquetta). It is defo=initely a Holiday, and the tradition is for families to gather and have picnics out doors if possoble. So for that reason, many shops might be closed as the owners are probably spending the afternoon with theor families. Public transportation might be crowded at times, if you're not in a large group, as one of the posters above was, I think you can find rables at restaurants. But with a large groups, reservations are usually a good idea anyway in an area like Todi.

Loveitaly, Pasquetta is still cconsiderec an important holiday where I have been, definitely not a "used to be" sort of thing. But perhaps that's different on Rome!